↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Wipers..cosmetic only?..absolute rubbish!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Wipers..cosmetic only?..absolute rubbish!!
So you collect your new Defender and the first time you "wash/wipe" you marvel at the integrated washers that apply the wash at the point of requirement rather than a targeted jet of water.
It rains..the wipers work as you would expect.

Summer comes and you get a few bugs and insects. Being a relatively flat fronted slab your Defender collects a great deal of bug splats.

You turn on your highly developed wash/wipe and are amazed at the results.

Absolutely Rubbish!!!

The screen fails to clear. Fresh Bugs, Dried on Bugs it makes no difference. Your wipers simply ignore them all.

I get in my X3 and the wipers "scrape" the screen clean with great effectiveness with 2 year old blades.

What is going on here?

Is it just me?

Clemmo Big Cry  Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #994591 31st May 2023 8:09am
steam_simon

Agreed. They are not very good. A lot worse than my last vehicle (a Nissan).
Post #994594 31st May 2023 8:24am
Tim in Scotland

My new 90’s wipers are worse than I had on my 2020 110 Defender, I suspect the rubbers are too soft and ride over the dead bugs instead of moving them off the screen. On my recent road trip to Harrogate and back from Central Scotland I had to pull into service areas twice just to clear the screen with a damp cloth and screen wash manually because all the wipers were doing was dragging dead bits across the glass and not clearing them. The other problem area was the headlight covers got really fouled up with dead bugs. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #994614 31st May 2023 10:50am
Clemmo

So I called in the dealer this morning to be told

“Ah yes.. we have had loads of complaints..they are all the same”

Jeeez..it’s just like owning my old Defender..

No solution offered or planned.

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Post #994619 31st May 2023 11:11am
Mark V2

United Kingdom 
A common upgrade in VW land is to replace the OEM blades with Bosch Aerotwin wipers whch they all rave about. Now sold: 2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE (Eiger Grey).
Post #994621 31st May 2023 11:15am
Arlo

Netherlands 
AeroTwin will do the job, at least for my Defender.
Post #994622 31st May 2023 11:21am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well, the wipers on my new Defender are better than the ones on my old 2005 Defender so that's progress l guess.

I can't say l've been appalled at their effectiveness. They seem to do the job okay.
Post #994623 31st May 2023 11:42am
Clemmo

Arlo wrote:
AeroTwin will do the job, at least for my Defender.

Bosch do not currently list AeroTwin fitment for Defender L663

https://www.boschaftermarket.com/xrm/media...hicles.pdf

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Post #994625 31st May 2023 12:09pm
Clemmo

lightning wrote:
Well, the wipers on my new Defender are better than the ones on my old 2005 Defender so that's progress l guess.

I can't say l've been appalled at their effectiveness. They seem to do the job okay.

I guess it’s all about expectations. Compared to other Modern Premium vehicles they are appalling.
Compared to a 2005 Defender they are okay Thumbs Up

Post #994626 31st May 2023 12:12pm
LR Nuts

Re: Wipers..cosmetic only?..absolute rubbish!!
Clemmo wrote:
So you collect your new Defender and the first time you "wash/wipe" you marvel at the integrated washers that apply the wash at the point of requirement rather than a targeted jet of water.
It rains..the wipers work as you would expect.

Summer comes and you get a few bugs and insects. Being a relatively flat fronted slab your Defender collects a great deal of bug splats.

You turn on your highly developed wash/wipe and are amazed at the results.

Absolutely Rubbish!!!

The screen fails to clear. Fresh Bugs, Dried on Bugs it makes no difference. Your wipers simply ignore them all.

I get in my X3 and the wipers "scrape" the screen clean with great effectiveness with 2 year old blades.

What is going on here?

Is it just me?

Clemmo Big Cry

you wait until winter, you suddenly notice the washer jets are ice'd up, unless you went for the 'cold climate pack' .......... IN THE UK ?????
Post #994627 31st May 2023 12:34pm
haymeister

Japan 
Ditto... the wipers suck.
And my dealer was so cheap that during the first service when they 'top up' the screen wash, they diluted it so much that that very night when it got to -5 the lines/washer tank froze.
Not fun finding that out on a snowy motorway. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #994630 31st May 2023 1:24pm
Tim in Scotland

LR Nuts wrote:
you wait until winter, you suddenly notice the washer jets are ice'd up, unless you went for the 'cold climate pack' .......... IN THE UK ?????

I’ve not got heated washer jets but I use the Halfords -25C rated screen wash and even down at the 2 nights of -18C we had last winter the jets never froze up - from around late October through to end of April I use the liquid screen wash neat. I buy it during the summer when it’s on discount so they can make space for the summer touring kit in the stores………… I’ve got 4 x 5lt cans of it left from this last winter but my problem now is bugs that the wipers won’t clean off the screen! A Neighbour has recommended Rain-X glass cleaner and anti smear in a trigger pack - I tried the Rain-X screen wash -10c rated stuff and it was useless and caused the wiper blades on my 110 to scrape across the glass. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #994631 31st May 2023 1:40pm
J77

Scotland 
No issues on any of the 3 I’ve had, bugs are always tough to get off, a couple of sprays and mine seems ok, nothing I’d waste my time complaining to a dealer about. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #994632 31st May 2023 1:48pm
kenzle8a

Tim in Scotland wrote:
LR Nuts wrote:

I’ve not got heated washer jets but I use the Halfords -25C rated screen wash and even down at the 2 nights of -18C we had last winter the jets never froze up - from around late October through to end of April I use the liquid screen wash neat. I buy it during the summer when it’s on discount so they can make space for the summer touring kit in the stores………… I’ve got 4 x 5lt cans of it left from this last winter but my problem now is bugs that the wipers won’t clean off the screen! A Neighbour has recommended Rain-X glass cleaner and anti smear in a trigger pack - I tried the Rain-X screen wash -10c rated stuff and it was useless and caused the wiper blades on my 110 to scrape across the glass.

I used neat rain-x in my TD5 and my wifes skoda last winter, no freezing at all in the same conditions. It also works wonders on stuff sticking to the window, even in my old Defender.,
Post #994635 31st May 2023 2:12pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Bosch AeroTwin 22” blades fit the car, slight modification to the clips needed to clear the washer housing but otherwise go on fine. A darn sight cheaper than LR prices too.

I’ve not noticed them being any better or worse than any other vehicle to be honest. Wipers are wipers!
Post #994637 31st May 2023 2:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>