↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Traction Control / DSC Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bobic

Ireland 
Traction Control / DSC Problem
Hi, I bought a 2016 defender about 4 months ago. After a few days of driving it developed a problem where the traction control would bite down hard at low speeds or turning left or right, again at slow speeds. It got so bad that I couldn’t drive it, local Indy changed the steering angle sensor and this stopped 90% of the grinding/biting traction control. However I still have a noise that sounds like the traction control system getting ready to kick in and do that horrible grinding but it doesn’t go that far. It happens every time just as you get to 20mph and only lasts a few seconds, best way I can describe the noise is like an empty plastic bottle being knocked around under the bonnet really quick. Sometimes as the noise is happening engine will cut acceleration. My mechanic says there are no faults on diagnostics, the mota Lita steering wheel has the correct bose fitted and everything checks out underneath, nothing loose. When it happens no lights come up on the dash either. Turning off the DSC button doesn’t make any difference. Is there a way of completely disabling the DSC/traction control and still drive normally? Would be very grateful if someone could help me solve this as it’s spoiling defender ownership somewhat!
Post #993926 24th May 2023 9:28pm
drivetrainshunt

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'd be interested to see how you got on with this?

Mine will do a rattle (a bit like abs kicking off type thing) when maoevering on tight lock too.
Post #995322 6th Jun 2023 11:55am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Mine did this for a few hundred miles from new, then settled down. It sounds like the traction control unit powering up ready to work.
Not worked on the system but a few pointers:

Check wheel sensors for seating- they may need tapping in
Check wheel sensor wiring an connectors for damage/ corrosion
The steering angle sensor is difficult to set up, particularly with aftermarket steering wheels
There is also a yaw sensor, but not certain how you would check this other than fault codes.
Post #995324 6th Jun 2023 1:07pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Can you not disbable abs/etc with 10 pumps of brake pedal straight after igniton on? Or that maybe just the siemens system. I forget now.

Mine did this, 10 plate, at 60k miles, no dsc. In the end having got most partd ready it ended up being on of the connectors jist had bit of corrosion in it.

Seems you have looked at dsc fault causes so far, could be simier than that and just an etc fault. Wheel sensor, connector.

What does diagnostics say? Anything? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #995362 6th Jun 2023 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1