↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Defender Celebration Series & Classic Works > V8 Works 70th Edition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CSK

France 2016 Defender 90 V8 Petrol Works V8 Auto Indus Silver
V8 Works 70th Edition
Back to the fold with this. She is currently being registered.
Missed our 110 ever since selling her last year.
Delivery mileage (just 34 kilometers on the odometer) but intend to use her on a regular basis after a trip to Chris from Zagato.
Pics from PDI at JLR Classic.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #993528 21st May 2023 5:34pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I thought they were all dinitrolled before delivery?
Post #993538 21st May 2023 6:51pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It depends what is mean't by Dinitrolled! If being lightly sprayed over with Dinitrol 4941 top coat from underneath in only a few areas also without first addressing any rust then yes. Remember the chassis, axles etc etc do not have any primer. Defender chassis etc are simply sprayed over with a porous matt black paint directly over bare metal without zinc coating or even primer. The components are simply flashed/rusting prior to even being assembled, hence the reason you would see rust coming through in areas on brand new models in the showroom.

I have done a number of 70th Anniversary models (there is another thread on them and this topic somewhere from a few years ago) and they were all the same. Simply blown over from underneath to look smart without addressing any existing corrosion ( remember these models are based on Defenders bought back from Dealerships, for instance, that were then transformed into the Anniversary models. The tops of the parts sprayed were missing coverage as it was only done from below. Not all that is necessary was sprayed and no cavity treatment was applied. The body is also not addressed.

A proper job to the underside involves prepping, treating corrosion, and applying the two latter layers with complete coverage from all angles to get into all the nooks and crannies. Not just the bits that can be seen for show! Cavity wax needs to be applied in ALL cavities including all the cross members front to back, rear tub supports the list goes on... e.g. doors, A & B posts, plus treatment for under the rear tub cappings which are bare metal Shocked and then the list goes on (see my guide) bulkhead to windscreen wiper spigots, brackets in engine bay, slam panel, radiator frame, bulkhead hinge (again bare metal, sprayed having already been " welded" together), windows sealed as per the water ingress guide... sorry but it's an extensive list, too much to detail here but the body and its parts are equally important, if not more so than the chassis, as they will give you expensive issues before the chassis ever gives out!

Last edited by Zagato on 22nd May 2023 3:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #993555 21st May 2023 8:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
So are these reregistered as a new vehicle? How does that work?
Post #993593 22nd May 2023 11:04am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I was just about to ask the same thing. That would be utterly amazing if that comes out as a 2023 plate, for example.

Absolutely stunning combination. Congratulations. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #993594 22nd May 2023 11:16am
kenzle8a

it could have been an unsold LHD Defender that never went through PDI and had sat at the factory, the UK ones were all second hand from memory, the LHD ones could have been from built but unsold stock.
Post #993595 22nd May 2023 11:17am
CSK

All V8 Works 70th Editions were sold back in 2018. They were limited to 150 cars and all have been sold within 36 hours (JLR Classic had 700 orders in 36 hours!). I know as I was one of the 700 and I was too late, my order was rejected at the time.
So none were sitting unsold for years!
This example had been ordered originally and delivered to the first owner in 2019 but never registered, it was part of a collection. The owner then wanted to offload some of his collection, and he entrusted JLR Classic to find a buyer for him.
It very nearly didn't happen as the seller contemplated registering the car and export it to one of his overseas homes to use locally.
But we struck a deal just before this happened.
So I consider myself lucky as I missed out first time and I get a new car.
By 2018, when these were launched, production of the Defender had ended for two years so JLR Classic bought Defenders that were built between 2012 to 2016 and converted them to V8 Works Editions, basically the car was stripped and built again.
I know there were lots of comments on the forum with people saying they could build one for much cheaper but this is a factory conversion, tried and tested like a production model with all electronics made to work as it should. And they come with a factory warranty.
Here's a video explaining how these were built:
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/201...-works-v8/
Regarding registration, being based on an older model, these were already registered but as I understand it, as they have been converted they need to be reregistered as a V8 Works and it's a lengthy process and the main reason I haven't taken delivery yet.
Good things come to those who wait and all that... Laughing
Post #993625 22nd May 2023 3:01pm
CSK

BrickBox wrote:
Absolutely stunning combination. Congratulations.

Thanks! Looking forward to delivery!
Post #993631 22nd May 2023 3:24pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
As far as I was aware all these had to be built on pre registered diesel vehicles to avoid type approval of a new powertrain variant?
Post #993636 22nd May 2023 3:43pm
dainger

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I can’t wait for a few more photos. I bet she’s going to be awesome to drive. Great to have in a collection for sure. And fantastic finding and sorting the deal.
Post #993638 22nd May 2023 4:00pm
CSK

That is not entirely correct.
JLR sourced vehicles all over Europe and the UK, some were indeed registered in the UK, the ones that came from overseas weren’t.
JLR told me these need to be reregistered as a V8 Works. That’s all I know.
I’ll be able to tell you more once I get the registration documents.
Post #993639 22nd May 2023 4:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
All the UK-registered ones I have seen (admittedly not many) have been on vanity plates, for example V8 DXV seen in the video linked above, presumably to disguise their original registration dates and marks and make the customer feel happier about the pre-owned remanufactured nature of the vehicle. I have always assumed, possibly incorrectly, that JLR sourced the registrations and supplied them with the vehicle (there has to be some justification to the cost)!
Post #993646 22nd May 2023 4:24pm
CSK

JLR offered to register the vehicle.
I have myself purchased a personalized registration number, which I paid for as a separate item from the price of the vehicle.
Post #993650 22nd May 2023 4:28pm
kenzle8a

Linds Hanson wrote:
As far as I was aware all these had to be built on pre registered diesel vehicles to avoid type approval of a new powertrain variant?

Looks like thats the case with the UK ones, as they show the original build date on the VES site. Might be different from overseas and unregistered ones.

They also still show as commercial vehicles, could be a nice way to get a company van if one had the means.

Click image to enlarge
Post #993680 22nd May 2023 7:33pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
CSK, Hello from Aussie, you are a very lucky man & I am very envious of you.
Your "Works Edition", IMHO is the best Defender ever, & I would've loved one,...I was aware that in spite of the extremely large purchase price, they were sold out in no time, I'm not sure whether any reached our shores.
I look forward to more pics, engine bay, interior,...wouldn't mind some of the underbody/exhaust system if you could get some when it's up on a hoist etc.
Happy Defendering, Pickles.
Post #993722 22nd May 2023 11:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>