↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Pick-up truck seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dibble04

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 PU Java Black
Pick-up truck seats
Anyone able to recommend a more comfortable seating arrangement for the pick-up truck Puma?

As it stands, I can drive up to a maximum of one hour before needing assistance getting out of the cab followed by several sessions of physio!

Seat risers, new seats....etc.???
Post #993240 19th May 2023 8:41am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
I have the older td5 style seats in mine gives a bit more room than the puma seat, but still very upright...any aftermarket seat will likely be too big for the pick-up cab.
Post #993320 19th May 2023 8:20pm
Dibble04

Did you swap to TD5 seats to help with comfort or just happen to have them available?
Do you think they are more comfortable than the Puma seats?
I am not so concerned with the upright seating position...it is pain in the legs that is the issue for me...there is just too little room between the seat and the pedals.
I am seriously considering fitting a tractor seat to the drivers side. My Kubota tractor seat would fit a treat and help with leg room. The only issue is quick access to the fuses etc. below the seat (the seat base is not removable).
Thanks
Post #993355 20th May 2023 8:44am
gcc130

In my tdci 130 daily driver I can push the seat back so I find that fine, my 110 camper has the lower bulkhead in place so I have seat raisers in that, it’s a different driving position but I find it comfortable.
The only slight downside is I occasionally find my self ducking for good view at junctions and the sun visors are pretty useless. I’m 6’2”
Why not get a cheap set of risers and give them a go? I think mine were from Exmoor but there are lots out there. You could always sell them on here if you don’t get on with them.
Post #993360 20th May 2023 9:17am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Assume the problem is with a truck cab you can't use seat risers because there's no room for the seat to slide back?

I'm not familiar with the layout but even a couple of centimeters would make a difference if you think there is room?

If you are tall then the standard risers will probably lift you up too high, but you can get low profile / slimline risers. I used these on my truck and they are much better for me compared to the higher ones. TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #993365 20th May 2023 9:54am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
In a truck cab your options are very limited unfortunately, they will always be cramped.

A king cab conversion is worth looking at if the vehicle is a keeper.
Post #993366 20th May 2023 9:56am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
^^^^^
Not sure if they still sell these kits but you could save money by not needing new seats and buy this instead...

http://www.foleysv.com/defender-cab-extension.html TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #993367 20th May 2023 10:01am
Dibble04

Thanks all for your ideas and input.

Got the tape measure out and had a good look at my truck today and I can see why many seat riser manufacturers state "the risers will fit the pick-up truck, but will be of little benefit".

Unlike other models, there is additional reinforcing bracketry behind the seat which limits the movement of the seat away from the steering wheel. So much of the benefit of raising the seat using off the shelf risers is lost in this case.

Going for a major modification of the truck is not really an option....I do not have the time and, for me, it would not be worth the cost involved.

I think there is up to 50mm rear movement that can be achieved (along with a 56mm lift too) but this will require risers more severe in design than any I can find off the shelf. The lift has to be much higher than normal (around 56mm...normally made up to 30mm) to get over some of the restriction caused by the reinforcing metalwork. Also, the seat back may require some modification to maximise any benefit and improve the back support angle.

I am going to set about making my own risers at some point in the near future and modify (or replace) the seat as required. I will report back as to whether or not this has been worthwhile.

Thanks
Post #993525 21st May 2023 5:13pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Good.luck. you may find though that you need to stoop your head too much to see comfortably out, especially through the door windows.

If you were happy to do a bit of pioneering research and probably spend more money it might be worth investigating the sort of seats sold for Caterhams and other kit/sports cars. Some of those are quite thin and might have scope for freeing up quite a bit of legroom.. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #993534 21st May 2023 6:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1