↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > So Hydrogen isn’t the future in U.K.?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

So Hydrogen isn’t the future in U.K.?
In 2021 there were 15 hydrogen selling pump stations in the U.K.
Shell has closed down all of theirs and now another hydrogen supplier has closed its forecourts too so now there are 5 hydrogen outlets for vehicles in the U.K. Lack of use is given as the main reason, but also I suspect the cost and complexity to make hydrogen and especially “Green” hydrogen is more the reason. Doesn’t bode well for the future of Fuel cell vehicles really
https://innovationorigins.com/en/first-she...remaining. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #992686 15th May 2023 10:53am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Tim
The offshore oil and gas company I work for has just invested into hydrogen for the UK and is setting up reception, storage and distribution facilities in Shetland.
There is also a plan to produce hydrogen from wind generated power ...

So short term yes, there is a hiatus in hydrogen supply but this will hopefully be resolved in the next few years as hydrogen power is developed for aviation and power pant usage. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #992690 15th May 2023 11:27am
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
I thought this video shed some light:

If you haven't seen it, JCB are investing heavily in Hydrogen engines for their machinery and the video talks about what UK Government's view is. 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #992703 15th May 2023 12:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I believe that Toyota is also investing heavily in hydrogen internal combustion along the lines of JCB. It seems there is hope for a non-electric option in the future after all.
Post #992707 15th May 2023 1:13pm
tonyp

United Kingdom 
Interestingly Wright Bus here in Northern Ireland have developed a Hydrogen Bus - its Chairman is Jo Bamford so very much in the JCB world.

Government seems to be fixated to electric when it is quite clear Hydrogen has huge benefits, for my money this is the better route to go.
Post #992713 15th May 2023 1:41pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
Bacton Gas terminal in North Norfolk is converting to Hydrogen production.

I think the Government are holding back on pushing Hydrogen until the infrastructure is in place.

According to JCB storage wont be that big a problem.

Looking forward to converting my 200tdi.

Maybe why Ineos didn't launch electric? They are UKs biggest producer of Hydrogen.

Maybe I should think about an M57 conversion.
Post #992723 15th May 2023 3:18pm
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Ineos in talks with Rolls-Royce to build nuclear plant at Grangemouth refinery.

https://www.thechemicalengineer.com/news/r...-refinery/

I would love to see the Safety Case and Comah (Control of Major Accidents and Hazards) plan required for this Big Cry It's one way to create green Hydrogen. I would suspect the requirements of ONR, SEPA and HSE would make this prohibitively expensive and complicated, not to mention the local community consultation required.

There is a trial Hydrogen powered train currently stored at Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway, where it was tested. The hope is to have it in service by 2025. Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #992727 15th May 2023 4:07pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Little known fact, when clearing the land around the Fukushima site in Japan they found an unexploded US bomb Shocked

Not entirely certain building more of those things on a tiny overcrowded island is the best of ideas.....and still no one talks of the waste apart from lets encase in concrete and leave it at the bottom of a great big hole.
Post #992747 15th May 2023 6:07pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hydrogen is expensive to make and tricky to handle, so where batteries are adequate they will be the default choice. I can’t see chains of public hydrogen filling stations like we have for petrol now. Hydrogen will have its place for heavy plant machinery working away from grid connections and for long haul HGV as battery is not energy dense enough and doesn’t look like it will be any time soon. But, in those cases the refuelling is done by the operators using their own equipment at sites and depots. The Culina (was Stobart) depot in Cheshire already has a hydrogen filling station for some of their HGVs. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #992751 15th May 2023 6:28pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
off topic, but i read that LPG will vanish from our petrol stations altogether by 2024, from what i read. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #992757 15th May 2023 6:52pm
Bluest

I run an LPG car. The big chain garages are slowly dwindling, but there are plenty independent places. It will be available.long after 2024 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #992767 15th May 2023 7:29pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
One of the lads had an LPG Audi, and he said that only one petrol station in the area, that supports it. Tbh i am very surprised that there are cars still running it, It just seemed to vanish for some reason. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #992785 15th May 2023 9:25pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
In Paris LPG (or GPL as they have call it) gives you access to all the emission zones regardless how old your car is. Was thinking of getting a RRC on LPG (VCool but already have too many cars..[/url]
Post #992793 15th May 2023 9:52pm
Bluest

Procta wrote:
One of the lads had an LPG Audi, and he said that only one petrol station in the area, that supports it. Tbh i am very surprised that there are cars still running it, It just seemed to vanish for some reason.

My Dacia was a brand new purchase last year, factory fit LPG was a no cost option. Availability seems to be very dependent on location. Where I live and travel, East Lancs and Greater Manchester, there is loads of choice and I never pay more than 80p a litre. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #992796 15th May 2023 10:36pm
Bluest

TexasRover wrote:
In Paris LPG (or GPL as they have call it) gives you access to all the emission zones regardless how old your car is. Was thinking of getting a RRC on LPG (VCool but already have too many cars..[/url]

Sadly LPG has fallen out of favour there seems to be no incentive to use it. Still quite popular with the Taxi drivers around here though. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #992799 15th May 2023 10:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>