↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Weird faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Weird faults
Hi all, my TD5 has been acting up recently, and things keep getting weirder.

So I replaced my battery a year ago with a specified Bosch unit. Recently had the Bosch go dead and read only 7.75v. Charged it up battery held fine at 12.6 started. Took it in a 70 mile trip to work, then back no issues with it until I had to use the boost box of shame to get it turn over again.

Alternator output ok at 14.5v engine running. Culprit for the drain is most likely to be either be my DashCam triggering and recording (what drained the last battery which seems to be ok when I charged it up now) or possibly a vehicle tracker that I had for my old employer.

Strangely enough at the fuel station today and tried to start up and single clicks the first couple of attempts in ignition 2. Gave it a couple of seconds and turned over normally.

It’s also Exacerbated what I thought was a little quirk. After long runs I’ll pull up and park.
Start up again and usually at the first dead stop I’ll do. Car looses power and stalls. Am I looking at a possible ECU fault or maybe MAF going up the creek?

Anyone had any similar issues? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #992351 12th May 2023 10:24am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
How irritating and frustrating. I have been there with Miffy.

Low hanging fruit first.

Quote:
Strangely enough at the fuel station today and tried to start up and single clicks the first couple of attempts in ignition 2. Gave it a couple of seconds and turned over normally.

This sounds like the starter solenoid needs a refurb kit. It is easy to do but the starter has to come out on to a bench.

Next. Earths, always the earths. Go around and double check that all the body earths are clean and it is worth smearing some contact grease over them to maintain the good connection.

Now for the not so easy news.

Quote:
It’s also Exacerbated what I thought was a little quirk. After long runs I’ll pull up and park.
Start up again and usually at the first dead stop I’ll do. Car looses power and stalls. Am I looking at a possible ECU fault or maybe MAF going up the creek?

This sounds very much like your topside switch in the ECU is on the way out. The only solution is a refurb or replacement ECU I am afraid.

Do you have a nano com or other to check for fault codes?
Post #992357 12th May 2023 10:48am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Yes think the starters probably gone owing to trying to crank on low voltage/boost voltage to start. I had a new nippon denso fitted five years ago and that was burnt out to the point that the replacing the solonoid was no longer an option.

Yes the symptoms fit. Luckily got a little money set aside to spend on restoration and refurbishment this year, luckily empire tuning is just up the roman road in colly and they can deal with top switch faults.

I have a multimeter but don't think its worth probably ruining the rest of my ECU to test the capacitors.

What i don't get is i've had the symptoms for over five years and getting the car to stall out always requires long runs of hard motorway driving... Maybe experienced this half a dozen times in the past five years. At least one in 2018, then maybe twice a year 2019-2022 but have had it three times in the past six months.

I guess i'm just a little worried i'll stall out and get stuck.

Thanks! I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #992432 12th May 2023 9:07pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
disconnect all items you added like the tracker etc for the moment, and then check clean all earths. My rover metro was having some right old trouble starting, turned out it was an earth on the gear box had gone bad. The simple things 1st before you go into the major stuff, like ECUs. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #992438 13th May 2023 2:03am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
OsloBlue wrote:
Yes think the starters probably gone owing to trying to crank on low voltage/boost voltage to start. I had a new nippon denso fitted five years ago and that was burnt out to the point that the replacing the solonoid was no longer an option.

Yes the symptoms fit. Luckily got a little money set aside to spend on restoration and refurbishment this year, luckily empire tuning is just up the roman road in colly and they can deal with top switch faults.

I have a multimeter but don't think its worth probably ruining the rest of my ECU to test the capacitors.

What i don't get is i've had the symptoms for over five years and getting the car to stall out always requires long runs of hard motorway driving... Maybe experienced this half a dozen times in the past five years. At least one in 2018, then maybe twice a year 2019-2022 but have had it three times in the past six months.

I guess i'm just a little worried i'll stall out and get stuck.

Thanks!

Oh to have just the one Land Rover garage close by Rolling with laughter It'd be like having beer on tap Rolling Eyes
Post #992449 13th May 2023 8:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1