↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > More Competition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
More Competition
Toyota have gone retro with the Land Cruiser.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...arket-2024

The Grenadier Station Wagon now starts at £76k. At that price the pretender Defender looks good value.

If only the J70 was available in the UK

https://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70
Post #1002994 4th Aug 2023 11:59am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Not sure the Defender does look good value tbh. Very similar prices to get similar specs and no matter how you slice it, the new Defender (pretender...) is a very different kind of vehicle to the Ineos or a traditional Defender.

The 70 Series is pretty cool in its own way. But very expensive too. Don't know exactly how it compares to the Ineos, but I'd suggest quite similar prices for similar base specs. But the J70 is very basic by comparison, it is also very slow and very shiny nasty plastic inside.

Recent review here:

As for the new 250 Series. It looks cool, although maybe a little Bronco Sport cross new Defender in appearance. Esp with the round light front end. Seems they also offer a square light front end too. The LC is based on the Prado though. Nothing wrong with that, but it is IFS front and still quite different to a live axle vehicle.
Post #1002995 4th Aug 2023 12:07pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l am not sure any vehicles are "good value" these days, the cheapest new car you can buy in the U.K. costs £14,000 and most are a lot more.

lf you wanted a rugged 4x4 the Suzuki Jimny seemed a great buy at under £20,000 in top specification.
That was, until they stopped importing them in 2020.

The new Land Cruiser looks good but again its predicted to start at over £50,000 which isn't cheap.
Post #1005699 29th Aug 2023 9:29am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
The Toyota 76 is readily available in the Middle East, brand new, super cool looking, rugged and with some mod cons. I was very tempted to buy one when I was there, but with my time limited there I was hesitant with no import to Europe.

So is Europe going to allow something crude like a Toyota 76 on their streets? Even the Jimmny is banned!

- driver and passenger safety
- Pedestrian safety
- Emissions

Face it there is only fun left in older (classic) cars. All modern cars are conformed to death and just plain boring.
Post #1005702 29th Aug 2023 9:38am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
@texasRover

Those aren't the reasons.

The 70 Series for example gets top crash safety ratings in Oz, as it is required for large Gov contracts and the like.

The Jimny also isn't 'banned'. It was just down to stupid EU regs around emissions. The Jimny is actually pretty clean, but because it weighed only just over a tonne it got penalised heavily. If it has weighed 1000kg more, it could quite happily have polluted more like all the other 4x4's on sale in the EU (LR, Jeep, Toyota, etc etc).

e.g.

Jimny = 154g/km
Land Cruiser = 251g/km

Jimny too polluting apparently, but the Land Cruiser is fine.... Rolling Eyes

I don't see any legislative reason why Toyota couldn't sell the 70 Series in the UK/EU, but they choose not too, likely because they feel there is no real demand for such a vehicle.
Post #1005719 29th Aug 2023 11:07am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Agreed, the reason we don't have the 70 here is it isn't worth Toyota's time and money to make it available. Homologating a vehicle for sale in europe is expensive, and the "penalities" for high emissions is also very high. It's just not worth it to them for something they think will sell in very small numbers.

Ineos to an extent are conducting a public experiment. If it's a runaway profitable success, we'll probably see other manufacturers coming back into the utilitarian sector. Especially as the impending ICE ban is likely to be pushed back.

The Merc G Wagon is a comparable vehicle to the Ineos, but the only reason I think Merc still persist with it in Europe is because of the insanely high prices they can charge for AMG models make the business case viable. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1005727 29th Aug 2023 12:04pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Mercedes don't sell loads of G-Wagons, but they sell more than they used too, despite the price.

Mercedes-Benz
G-Class
2021 7.116
2020 6.342
2019 8.682
2018 6.071
2017 5.457
2016 4.646
2015 2.936
2014 2.406
2013 2.632
2012 2.210
2011 1.789
2010 1.500
2009 1.309
2008 1.279
2007 1.585
2006 1.447
2005 1.794
2004 1.728
2003 1.745
2002 2.381
2001 2.547
2000 1.693
1999 3.638
1998 1.758
1997 1.632
Post #1005739 29th Aug 2023 1:16pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Suzuki stopped importing the Jimny to the U.K. because not being a hybrid it increased the company's overall emissions figure.

At the time there was a two year waiting list for the vehicle in the U.K. son they could have sold as many as they could bring in.

There's a Commercial version still available but it's more basic and only has two seats.
Post #1005742 29th Aug 2023 1:29pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
It is true it would impact the average emissions, but overall it was still pretty clean. Else how does any other car maker manage to sell vehicles with much higher Co2 outputs than the Jimny?

BTW pretty much every other car maker does sell cars with higher emissions. So that can't be the real or only answer.

As for selling out, yes. But mostly due to low volume being imported. They could have certainly sold more. But again that isn't the whole picture. The 3rd Gen was imported in far larger volumes. So it is no wonder there was a waiting list with heavily restricted quantity arriving in the UK/EU.
Post #1005756 29th Aug 2023 4:02pm
Puddings 3112

Suzuki was also caught up in the Toyota diesel emmisions scandal and there was speculation that they have retrenched not only on diesels but also pure petrol models as they try to appear as contrite and as compliant as possible in preparation for any fines heading in their direction. It was also rumoured to be part of the reason why the MotoGP and other bike racing programmes were cancelled because they needed to have as much cash ringfenced as possible to pay the fines
Post #1005796 29th Aug 2023 7:40pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Bluest wrote:
Agreed, the reason we don't have the 70 here is it isn't worth Toyota's time and money to make it available. Homologating a vehicle for sale in europe is expensive, and the "penalities" for high emissions is also very high. It's just not worth it to them for something they think will sell in very small numbers.

Ineos to an extent are conducting a public experiment. If it's a runaway profitable success, we'll probably see other manufacturers coming back into the utilitarian sector. Especially as the impending ICE ban is likely to be pushed back.

The Merc G Wagon is a comparable vehicle to the Ineos, but the only reason I think Merc still persist with it in Europe is because of the insanely high prices they can charge for AMG models make the business case viable.

G-Class is a low volume model relatively speaking however it is a halo product too, similar to S-class. It also had a more than 18 month waiting list early this year, I believe it has reduced slightly now.

Mercedes had the option to kill it off, but opted to release a massively (ie 99.5%) new version.

It’s not really comparable to Grenadier, the G is not really marketed for utility users any more (apart from w464 military and rescue user version)- the previous w463 I would argue is more comparable……. However it’s also had the benefit of 40 years of development.
Post #1011590 17th Oct 2023 7:07pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
TexasRover wrote:
The Toyota 76 is readily available in the Middle East, brand new, super cool looking, rugged and with some mod cons. I was very tempted to buy one when I was there, but with my time limited there I was hesitant with no import to Europe.

So is Europe going to allow something crude like a Toyota 76 on their streets? Even the Jimmny is banned!

- Pedestrian safety
- Emissions

Face it there is only fun left in older (classic) cars. All modern cars are conformed to death and just plain boring.

Never understand why a Jimny or 76 fail on pedestrian safety yet almost all trucks/vans in Europe are slab fronted vehicles with some, like that behemoth Renault Truck Cab, almost the height of a two storey building. One rule for one driver, another rule for another.

Further, very few car-on-pedestrian accidents happen in pedestrian only areas such as pavements/sidewalks, front gardens, shopping malls, inside cinemas, hotel foyers, kitchens etc, but nearly ALL do happen in the middle of the road.

In this regard, surely money should be spent on improving road architecture or educating pedestrians about how to cross a road safely, than penalising drivers for an accident likely brought about by an errant, distracted pedestrian and not the fault of the driver or the design of the car.

And when it is the driver's fault, no amount of soft impact protection on the front of a car is likely to avoid serious injury or death on the rare, and horrific, occasion that a car is completely out of control and ploughs through a queue of people at a bus stop. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #1011738 19th Oct 2023 7:54am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Saw this the other day...loads in Dubai
Shame we can't get these in UK

Click image to enlarge
 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #1011741 19th Oct 2023 8:11am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
TexasRover wrote:

- Pedestrian safety
- Emissions

Never understand why a Jimny or 76 fail on pedestrian safety yet almost all trucks/vans in Europe are slab fronted vehicles with some, like that behemoth Renault Truck Cab, almost the height of a two storey building. One rule for one driver, another rule for another. .

Simple, different rules for goods vehicles (and in fact the reason that late classic Defenders were N1 type approved).
Post #1011743 19th Oct 2023 8:31am
lightning

United Kingdom 
MartinK wrote:
Saw this the other day...loads in Dubai
Shame we can't get these in UK

Click image to enlarge

That looks a nice truck. What's the specifications?
Post #1012076 22nd Oct 2023 9:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>