↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Squishy brakes after Brake Master Replaced (NO ABS)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I do not have experience with brake master cylinders, but do have with clutch and brake slave cylinders. Always replace the rubber with quality rubber when still new, and they will last. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #992545 14th May 2023 8:52am
dannyragsdale

Papau New Guinea 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Dinnu wrote:
I had exactly that on my old 90. It is the non return valve in the master cylinder, allowing the brake fluid to go in the reservoir. If its an aftermarket master, then I would be weary about the quality of the rubber used.

Did you continuously get air in your system? Every time I bleed them, there’s always air.
Post #992546 14th May 2023 8:56am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Mine was still with the original MC, no air in the system, just the pedal moves to the floor if light on the brake, as the oil escaped past the non return valve into the reservoir. Worked perfectly when braking hard. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #992553 14th May 2023 9:52am
nickc

1995 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I am having a similar issues. Back in December driving back from Scotland in my 2007 Puma 110 my brake pedal went very spongy meaning I had to pump the pedal to stop. I googled the symptoms and concluded I needed a new master cylinder. I bought a TRW part and I asked my local mechanic to fit it. He fitted the cylinder but could not bleed the brakes as it appeared the cylinder was backwashing. I returned the master cylinder and got sent a replacement. My mechanic refitted it but still had huge problems bleeding the system (which he eventually managed after hiring some pressure bleeding kit). When I got it back the brakes weren't amazing i.e. they still operated much better on the 2nd press of the pedal but they were much, much better than when I took it in.

All was relatively well for approx 2000 miles when the pedal went very spongy again when I was away on holiday. Weirdly the pedal came back a bit about a week later. However, as it was clear something v odd was going on I decided this week to take it to a local well known independant Land Rover garage. Their initial finding was that one of the rear calipers was faulty (as little fluid was getting through) and there was air trapped in that 'corner'. They fitted a new caliper but I got a call today saying that post fitting, whilst they can now bleed the system and having found an air pocket in the abs (having used abs diagnostic kit) the pedal came back briefly, only for it to totally disappear again and they can't now get it back. They have now spent circa 6 hrs re-bleeding etc. but to no avail. They are saying there appears to be lots of air in the system (so much that the fluid looks white?) that they just can't eradicate. They have checked the servo which is good, there are no leaks in the system, they don't think it's the vacuum pump (as a it happens when the engine is off) and they are basically say they are completely flummoxed. They also said that they have done the brakes on hundreds of Defenders over the years and have never come across this. In terms of the system, the pipework was replaced approx 5yrs ago, front calipers and discs replaced approx 18 months ago, master cylinder replaced Feb this yr and one rear caliper this week. As it stands I have 'left it with them' but am not sure what they are going to try next.

Has anybody come across anything like this please - any help or insight anybody can provide would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance
Post #993349 20th May 2023 1:19am
Bundy

United Kingdom 
Mine did similar....try wiggling the vac line to the servo from where it comes off the engine as it may be leaking.
Seemed to fix mine, and been ok for over a year now!
Post #993588 22nd May 2023 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12