↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Safety Devices Roll Cage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Is there a tub bulkhead in it? If it is they’re very like the genuine bulkhead bar setup in location. Longtime since I’ve fitted a safety devices 90 cage thoug sorry.
Post #997320 23rd Jun 2023 10:23pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
My 90 has the factory deleted bulkhead, so has the tubular support bar that runs to the sides on an angle and bolts to the floor in the middle at two points. My assumption is that this is replaced by the internal hoop, which bolts to the external cage.
Post #997322 23rd Jun 2023 11:13pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
In my 90 with an SD cage the internal cage sat behind the bulkhead. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #997339 24th Jun 2023 8:16am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
If you look at NAS or V8 50th it’s pretty much the same set-up for the safety devices cage with no bulkhead.

There’s a bar goes underneath the tub, if you email safety devices they’re normally very helpful (when I’ve dealt with them anyway) and might supply some extra images.

I think the under tub bar basically goes to where the “feet” of your original bar goes, either side of the tub wheel boxes and the two floor brackets near the seatbelt stalks. The bar underneath then attaches to the chassis- I believe this now comes in two pieces for fitting, in the older style you used to have to remove the tub.

Click image to enlarge

So if you look at that image one part bolts to the middle and the other ends go up and under the wheel arches
Post #997391 24th Jun 2023 5:32pm
Mr Fox

Thank you - that is what I expected from looking at photos and trawling through the diagrams on the SD site.

My only concern is that the internal hoop will be where my shoulders are and/or mean I need to bring the seat forward to clear the bar. I’m reasonably tall, 6’2”, so need the leg room.
Post #997397 24th Jun 2023 6:02pm
Mr Fox

A bit of a morbid question:

I am aware that Safety Devices refer to the cage (A-pillar, windscreen, front roof bars) as used on the SVX and Bowler Fast Road as a cosmetic cage.

I would assume that whilst these offer a modicum of protection, the fact there isn’t an internal roll bar inside the B-pillar means it is limited.

Has anyone seen of the front ‘cosmetic cage’ holds up in an accident and whether it does in fact offer a reasonable level of protection? I am only talking about the front section, as shown here:

http://www.safetydevices.com/expedition/pr.../270/1796/
Post #997971 29th Jun 2023 2:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Mr Fox wrote:
Thank you - that is what I expected from looking at photos and trawling through the diagrams on the SD site.

My only concern is that the internal hoop will be where my shoulders are and/or mean I need to bring the seat forward to clear the bar. I’m reasonably tall, 6’2”, so need the leg room.

6'2" here as well, full SD roll cage, no problem with leg or shoulder room.
Post #997972 29th Jun 2023 2:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Mr Fox wrote:
A bit of a morbid question:

I am aware that Safety Devices refer to the cage (A-pillar, windscreen, front roof bars) as used on the SVX and Bowler Fast Road as a cosmetic cage.

I would assume that whilst these offer a modicum of protection, the fact there isn’t an internal roll bar inside the B-pillar means it is limited.

Has anyone seen of the front ‘cosmetic cage’ holds up in an accident and whether it does in fact offer a reasonable level of protection? I am only talking about the front section, as shown here:

http://www.safetydevices.com/expedition/pr.../270/1796/

Because the rear fixing points of this cage are just bolted to the aluminium roof any roll over will pop them off easily I would have thought. Then the front hoop is just floating infant of the windscreen.

If you are thinking of a cage for safety purposes this is not the one. It is cosmetic only.
Post #997973 29th Jun 2023 2:46pm
Mr Fox

geobloke wrote:
Mr Fox wrote:

6'2" here as well, full SD roll cage, no problem with leg or shoulder room.

The issue with the internal B-pillar, internal hoop, (which runs 6” behind the seatbelt point and just before the Alpine window begin) is the way it fits with the ‘Landmark’ aka premium seats. The seats are quite thick and I’ve been told the internal hoop will really restrict both the backward movement of the base as well as the recline of the backrest.

Currently have my seat base on the 3rd place from the back but the backrest is reclined past where the internal hoop would be.

What seats are you using?

geobloke wrote:

Because the rear fixing points of this cage are just bolted to the aluminium roof any roll over will pop them off easily I would have thought. Then the front hoop is just floating infant of the windscreen.

If you are thinking of a cage for safety purposes this is not the one. It is cosmetic only.

That was my opinion too but wasn’t sure if I was missing something and perhaps they gave a little more protection than I thought.
Post #997974 29th Jun 2023 2:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
The issue with the internal B-pillar, internal hoop, (which runs 6” behind the seatbelt point and just before the Alpine window begin) is the way it fits with the ‘Landmark’ aka premium seats. The seats are quite thick and I’ve been told the internal hoop will really restrict both the backward movement of the base as well as the recline of the backrest.

Currently have my seat base on the 3rd place from the back but the backrest is reclined past where the internal hoop would be.

What seats are you using?

Are these the Landmark seats?

Click image to enlarge

or are they these?

Click image to enlarge

NB: the seats in the second image have been fitted with an internal hoop.

I have also asked Exmoor and they say that their Premium Elite 2 seats also fit with the hoop but it is tight.

My seats are just the ordinary Puma XS seats, nothing special. If your seats are the Landmark/Premium one in the first image it is worth knowing that the seat back foam is the same as that in the standard Puma seat back. The only difference is a metal hoop that supports the upper fixed head rest foam in the premiums. I know this because I asked Exmoor if the Premium seat back had any more cushion or bigger side bolsters for better support. The answer was no, they are the same as the standard Puma seat back. So your seats should fit with an internal hoop.

Exmoor are always good at replying to questions like this if you want to drop them a line.
Post #997976 29th Jun 2023 4:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12