↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bluetooth pairing with a mobile
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Bluetooth pairing with a mobile
I thought I'd found an elegant phone and music solution for my LR - pairing my new phone (iPhone) to my existing JVC stereo via Bluetooth.
It works great parked on the drive - phone in it's Brodit holder, plays music, does the TomTom instructions, reads my texts and handles my calls...

BUT - just went for a drive and the Bluetooth connection keeps dropping out - it can be solid for a minute then looses it for a second & so on. No good.

Is this typical of Bluetooth - or have I got a connection problem?

I have an iPod cable connection on the stereo, but it says 'not compatible for this model' and although it plays the audio, the screen is blank and it doesn't charge, so also no good. (Works ok with older iPods)

I'm disappointed, as I didn't want to spend any more money on a new head unit.
Before I start thinking of having to spend more - anyone had much success with a Bluetooth connection in their car?
Any advice?
Post #95435 21st Oct 2011 2:10pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ads,

Type in your head unit model and 'phone compatability' to Google and see what it comes up with. I recently upgraded my head unit and was going to go for an Alpine, but doing the above stated that two of the phones in my household would pair (maybe) but 'may lose certain functionality.' Hence the reason I chose the head unit I did. It may just be a case of sourcing a suitable mobile phone perhaps?
I bought a Parrot head unit and it pairs with a multitude of phones perfectly. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #95449 21st Oct 2011 2:58pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Most of the head unit bluetooth modules are made by Parrot and support firmware updates, I had to do this on my Kenwood before it would even connect, check on the JVC website to see if there is one available.
Post #95453 21st Oct 2011 3:14pm
Ads90

K9F wrote:
Ads,

Type in your head unit model and 'phone compatability' to Google and see what it comes up with. I recently upgraded my head unit and was going to go for an Alpine, but doing the above stated that two of the phones in my household would pair (maybe) but 'may lose certain functionality.' Hence the reason I chose the head unit I did. It may just be a case of sourcing a suitable mobile phone perhaps?
I bought a Parrot head unit and it pairs with a multitude of phones perfectly.

Thanks K9F.

Re: using the cable - the JVC head unit has an iPod adaptor fitted (KS-PD100), which I've found out on a google does not support iThings beyond the iPhone 3 - something to do with the charging pins being rearranged at that point - doh. Rolling Eyes
So I'm now looking to see if there is a later version of the adaptor which maybe I can swap-out.

Re: sourcing a suitable mobile - I've just bought it (& very happy with it otherwise), so it's the stereo that I would change, rather than the phone.

Re: Bluetooth - bearing in mind I don't need the phone's functionality on the head unit - just to stream audio - a google search did come up with the suggestion to 'switch off contacts sync via Bluetooth'. It may be that the pauses are because of the unit trying to download contacts (that aren't compatible anyway).
So, I've now changed that setting on the phone, and will test drive it again over the weekend... if that works I'll be chuffed.
Post #95465 21st Oct 2011 4:24pm
Ads90

iruffell wrote:
Most of the head unit bluetooth modules are made by Parrot and support firmware updates, I had to do this on my Kenwood before it would even connect, check on the JVC website to see if there is one available.

Thanks iruffell - see above regards what I've just found out about the cable compatibility.
It seems as though the hardware was changed, so I may not even get as far as software updates...

I'll try it again via BT at the weekend, before deciding on the next course of action.
Post #95466 21st Oct 2011 4:28pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
iPhone/cable compatibility is likely only due to a removal of the old 12V charging method on the later iPhones, can be fixed with a £10 adapter.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #95475 21st Oct 2011 5:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ads90

Thanks Martin, I'll look into it.
Post #95482 21st Oct 2011 5:56pm
Ads90

Having no luck with the Bluetooth - was better after making adjustments, but when I drove into Cheltenham yesterday the signal was all over the place (too much interference, I'm guessing).

I found one of those adapters Martin - but closer to £20. I also remembered that with my older iPod that did charge, the head unit took control of the iPod, meaning you couldn't do anything with it once plugged in... so I might put my £20 towards a more up to date head unit.
Post #95823 23rd Oct 2011 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1