↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 Check Engine light, Power loss, Limp mode. Need help!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
caravelle63

Spain 
2.4 Check Engine light, Power loss, Limp mode. Need help!!
Hey guys, been reading the forum for a while, i have recently purchased a 2.4 Puma, ive really wanted one for ages and was a impulse buy, not in the best body condition but low milage. The car was running fine for 2 weeks then didnt start for 2 months, at first they thought it was the inmoviliser but found out it had already been canceled in the past, also it was not the starter motor, i dont know if it was out of luck but they changed the ignition switch and a relay and it is working well for the moment, the car did start onces every 200 attempts during that period.

After this was fixed i noticed a loss of power, the car dosent go above 50 MPH and accelarates very poorly. sporadically it gets the check engine light and goes into limp mode, then this vanishes and continues to run with decreased performance. I have read all the threads that talk about this and have verified the turbo actuator and turbine, removed and cleaned the EGR, cleaned MAF sensors.. i have also changed the fuel filter. There is no apparent holes or leaks in any of the piping. While it had the check engine light they scanned it at the dealer and the computer said it was 90% probability of being the VCV, so they changed that aswell but no luck. what else can i do? the only thing mentioned in other threads is the wiring harness that goes to engine, MAF, turbo etc.. but it is very expensive and dont want to changed it unless i am certain. What do you guys think? I realised the other day before any of the problems started i pressure washed the engine, could this be the reason? Would really appreciate some help! I am quite frustrated.. Sad
Post #990360 25th Apr 2023 11:18pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Check hoses and hose clamps from air filter box to turbo, turbo to intercooler ( this one can get holed underneath by rubbing on steering column) and intercooler to inlet manifold. Also check intercooler at the crimped seams either side, they do split, especially on the left hand side as you face the engine while standing in front of vehicle, tell tale is soot stains. To do a good check remove front grill.

You can get a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth obd2 reader and an app like torque on you phone and read the codes when check engine light comes up. These codes would help a lot in diagnosing the cause.

Also check ECU and other connectors to see if you have water ingress as pressure washing a modern engine with lots of sensors etc is not something I would ever do.
Post #990361 25th Apr 2023 11:33pm
caravelle63

Spain 
thanks for the response, I have already checked the intercooler and piping, although i will do so again tomorow. Yeah pressure washing was not a very inteligent decision, i will also check ECU and look into buying the code reader.
Post #990362 25th Apr 2023 11:51pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Is the air filter dry and is the filter box lid secure.

As said with Diagnostic trouble codes we can narrow things down, but a sticking EGR can cause the issues you highlight and cleaning them does not necessarily fix the issue. Do you get that chugger chugger sound after you stop the engine.thats a sign the valve is ok and going through its test cycle. You don’t get it every time you stop the engine , but if you never get it it’s a sign of a faulty EGR.

Last edited by Ianh on 26th Apr 2023 12:08am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #990363 25th Apr 2023 11:56pm
caravelle63

Spain 
Yes it is.. do you think its worth replacing the wiring harness?? 700 euros... Tomorow i will find out where the ECU is and have a look, what should i look for? water in the box?
Post #990364 25th Apr 2023 11:59pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Don’t replace the harness .
We need to get codes to narrow things down.

Even if it is a harness issue there are cheap harness repair sections you can get from Martin who runs this site. See the shop at top right of screen.

ECU is near bulkhead, You can disconnect plugs ( careful there are locking tabs) to see if water ingress in connectors but I would have expected more faults to be present if water is in there.

I would check sensors and egr connectors first.
Post #990365 26th Apr 2023 12:12am
peritus

Germany 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Barolo Black
Hi folks, any updates on this thread? I bought a 2009 Puma 110 yesterday. As I was driving home from the registration office, I got the same issue... Check engine light, power loss, limp mode.

The used car dealer sent me to Land Rover to get scanned with their diagnostics. It's there now, and I'm waiting for the dreaded phone call that something major is looming and that my bank account is going to take a beating.

Unfortunately I can't tinker with it, but being informed certainly could help.

Thanks!

James
Post #992317 11th May 2023 11:40pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Unfortunately member caravelle63 has not replied, and to make any progress we really do need a diagnostic tool connected and the diagnostic trouble codes posted here so we can narrow things down.

For your issue James make sure Land Rover advise you of all the diagnostic codes they have read, which ones they think are relevant and why, and what they think is the issue. Then provide that info here.

One question, in the UK, if you purchased the vehicle from a used car dealer yesterday then they are responsible for rectifying the issue, including paying for the diagnostics Land Rover are undertaking. Plus even then if that raises alarm bells about your purchase you can reject the vehicle and they need to give you ALL the money back. Is that not the law In Germany ?
Post #992321 12th May 2023 12:18am
peritus

Bow down Thanks Ianh. Fingers crossed I hear from Land Rover today, and even more fingers crossed that it’s nothing major. Yes, there are similar consumer protection laws in Germany, but this old girl has already stolen my heart.

I’ve been an old Porsche guy all my life, but I crashed my 911 turbo on the Nurburgring last November,
So I’ve been eager to turn the page and start the Defender chapter.
Post #992326 12th May 2023 6:18am
caravelle63

Spain 
Hello guys, sorry for the late response Ianh, was waiting on the reader to arrive, i got the OBDlink MX+ and used their app. The only code to appear was P1169 (Fuel Rail Sensor In-Range High Failure), i cleared it and it has yet to appear again, the check engine light has also not showed up again but i havent used the car much. I have also checked all the piping and the ECU conections and everything looks fine. The car still struggles to accerlerate to 100 kmh, and cant hold it with a slight upwill in the highway, maybe this is just normal speeds for a defender? i havent had the car long enough to know.
Post #992470 13th May 2023 11:54am
caravelle63

Spain 
Thats really unfortunate Peritus, i am on the same page more or less, and Ianh is right, here in spain even between private sellers they are legally obliged to cover 6 month guarantee for the car, you should check the law in Germany, i found out a couple of days too late. best of luck..
Post #992471 13th May 2023 12:03pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
some people have had issues with fake and aftermarket VCV’s , fitting them and finding the problem was not rectified, only to find later that it was a VCV issue and the replacement was just as bad as the faulty one. So is yours a genuine denso one from a reputable supplier ?

This provides insight.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic85644.html?highlight=vcv

Also re lubricate the turbo actuator linkages, they may be sticking after you power washed the engine.
Post #992476 13th May 2023 1:17pm
caravelle63

Spain 
Thanks for the response, the VCV was ordered from the landrover dealership and i have already lubricated the actuator and looks to be working fine.
Post #992477 13th May 2023 2:05pm
peritus

caravelle63 wrote:
Thats really unfortunate Peritus, i am on the same page more or less, and Ianh is right, here in spain even between private sellers they are legally obliged to cover 6 month guarantee for the car, you should check the law in Germany, i found out a couple of days too late. best of luck..

So there is a warranty, but the degree to which it will actually cover the costs is a different story. A quick glance at the policy tells me that if the car is over 7 years, then _____ only a % is covered of parts and labour, and if over 100k KMS, then and additional ________ , then an additional % reduction is applied...(There's 102,000 KMS on mine).

I'll keep the board posted on the issue. I think I'll need a nanocom. I'm a little bit handy, so I'll roll up my sleeves on future issues. I think I'll become an active member on this forum!
Post #992483 13th May 2023 3:48pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
caravelle63 wrote:
Hello guys, sorry for the late response Ianh, was waiting on the reader to arrive, i got the OBDlink MX+ and used their app. The only code to appear was P1169 (Fuel Rail Sensor In-Range High Failure), i cleared it and it has yet to appear again, the check engine light has also not showed up again but i havent used the car much. I have also checked all the piping and the ECU conections and everything looks fine. The car still struggles to accerlerate to 100 kmh, and cant hold it with a slight upwill in the highway, maybe this is just normal speeds for a defender? i havent had the car long enough to know.

No it's not right, a TDCi in good standard condition should be able to maintain 70mph (112Kmh) on the flat and on gentle hills
My standard TD5 110 would manage around 85mph (135Kmh) on a flat road (where legal) not that you'd want to, but it would do it.
Post #994412 29th May 2023 6:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>