↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Intermittent 300tdi starting issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Davidarnol

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Intermittent 300tdi starting issue
My 1995 Defender 300tdi usually starts first turn with 8 seconds heat but occasionally (@ 1 in 20 starts) it starts but then dies immediately, when I try to restart the engine it just spins away for 4 or 5 seconds then starts to fire and eventually starts after 10 to 15 seconds.
It starts fine, cold or hot, after that.
Does the fuel cut off solenoid usually just fail completely? Or can it fail to open intermittently?. It seems to click every time with a test wire off the battery. Any other suggestions?
It does not have an immobiliser fitted
Post #986467 23rd Mar 2023 5:18am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It depends on your pattern of usage but that sounds very much like a bit of air is getting into the fuel system, particularly if these false starts follow periods where it's been standing for longer. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #986486 23rd Mar 2023 11:29am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
I had something very similar (albeit on my old 200tdi), the lift pump was allowing fuel to run back. Would start on the fuel left in the injector pump and then cut out.
Post #986497 23rd Mar 2023 12:58pm
Davidarnol

Thanks, I changed the fuel cut out this morning so will see if that cures it, during the changeout in that confined space my elbow bumped into the fuel return line between the front injector and the banjo fitting on the pump, I thought I heard a gurgling sound for a second up at the injector, not sure if that could allow air in to the high pressure side of the system? (No leak up there with the engine running).
Once the engine started ok I cracked open the bleed screw on top of the (new) fuel filter, diesel started coming out but quite slowly, should it spray out if the lift pump is in good order?, thanks for the suggestions so far.
Post #986502 23rd Mar 2023 1:17pm
Davidarnol

With regard to the first reply the issue can happen anytime, engine hot or cold, left overnight or off for a short period
Post #986515 23rd Mar 2023 2:15pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Lift pump isn't critical, but it can get blocked which does cause problems.

My 1994 started running badly and cutting out. I eventually traced it to the fuel lift pump which has a strainer/gauze in the cap and this was full of sludge and leaf mulch etc which was badly restricting fuel delivery. I also discovered the plunger was goosed so it wasn't actually doing any pumping anyway and from what I read on the internet our engines don't need it. I refitted the faulty pump after cleaning out the gunk and it ran great, good as new for several weeks until I got a chance to fit a new, functioning one, that made absolutely no difference.
Post #986518 23rd Mar 2023 2:36pm
Davidarnol

Turned out to be the fuel spill return line, the sound deadening under the bonnet was loose and with the bonnet closed it pushed down on the return line to the injector pump causing it to let air in, I shortened the pipe and secured the sound deadening and I am now back to first turn starting, hot or cold, thanks for the Suggestions
Post #987073 27th Mar 2023 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1