↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Offroad Camera = No Parking Sensor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Offroad Camera = No Parking Sensor?
So a few times now I've had the offroad camera on, then started parking expecting to hear parking sensors when I get close to a wall or other car... only to find the parking sensors aren't beeping and I'm way closer than I should be.. (yes, I'm using my mirrors, but the parking sensor habit is hard to shake).

Often this happens in tight carparks where the offroad camera is useful to navigate tight curves, and parking happens pretty quickly afterwards.

I assume this is a deliberate design consideration; by selecting the offroad camera, the assumption is you're offroad surrounded by obstacles you're going to drive over - hence don't want the parking sensors...

But I've almost been caught out a couple of times. I doubt it's possible to request both offroad camera AND parking sensors. But I'd be interested if anyone's found a way to set that up..

Cheers
Post #985163 11th Mar 2023 4:53pm
J77

Scotland 
Yes noticed this on mine, can’t say I’ve seen a way to change it. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #985190 11th Mar 2023 8:34pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Trying to do a three point turn on a narrow forest track, I would have thought that parking sensors would be an advantage when trying to avoid those dirty big trees that are in your way. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #985227 12th Mar 2023 10:32am
Tim in Scotland

If you go into the cameras menu using the icon on the left side of the pivi-pro screen, then look for the speaker icon and check it isn’t checked with a cross - I use that a lot off-road to silence the parking sensors as they pick up every blade of long grass so I silence them and sometimes I forget to reinstate them BUT they should reset to audible if you switch of the car and restart it. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #985234 12th Mar 2023 11:36am
XplusYplusZ

Thanks Tim. Based on your recommendation, I checked but the option seems to be only visible in the 'on-road' camera view. When I switch to the off-road view (the one I use a lot), there's no speaker icon - instead there's the toggle to 'see through bonnet' view. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Post #985883 17th Mar 2023 8:43am
Tim in Scotland

In Offroad cams view, when I drive in longish grass the parking sensors activate and when they come on I get a speaker icon appears on the screen. It only stays silent until until I leave the grass then it resets and comes back next time something brushes passed the front. I’ve just tried it on my drive but the sensors aren’t being activated even though I’m parked close to my garage door. I’m trying not to take the car off-road as it goes in parted next week but I’ll be taking it out for an “exercise” drive so will try to find somewhere to trigger it and take some photos. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #985906 17th Mar 2023 10:57am
XplusYplusZ

Ah, I see what you mean..

Is it the collision detection system rather than the regular parking sensors?

I find I can reverse to near dangerous proximity to objects in offroad camera view mode without a peep from the sensors.

If I then switch to on-road camera mode, without moving the vehicle, the warning sounds are blaring away.

I suspect I might even be able to hit an object whilst reversing in offroad camera mode, before a sensor alarm comes on.

I feel an experiment coming on..
Post #986178 20th Mar 2023 1:56pm
XplusYplusZ

I checked again last night - reversed towards an object in on-road camera mode, moved until the beeping was frantic but not solid.

Switched to Off-road camera = silence. Moved a little closer, not a peep.

I would think that there must be an offroad silencing option that I've ticked in Pivipro, but I can't seem to find it.
Post #986391 22nd Mar 2023 10:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1