↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > PROTECT THOSE BYWAYS (GLASS)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
PROTECT THOSE BYWAYS (GLASS)
I'm a member of Glass and received this today, I've done it can others pass on and also do[/b]

Dear GLASS Members and Supporters

Just over a year ago, on 16 February 2022, we welcomed the news that the 2026 cut-off date would be repealed in England!

Changes to the law introduced by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 meant that many historic routes used by motor vehicles, carriage drivers and other users in England and Wales would be lost on 1 January 2026 if they hadn’t been formally recorded.

Despite the Government’s announcement to abolish this deadline, work continues to record and protect these routes.

To date, the Government have not yet found the opportunity to formally repeal the cut-off.

We’re continuing to press for the repeal, but we’re calling on all green road users to get involved by contacting your MP, as well as supporting us with our access work – see our publication “Inclusive Countryside Access” which can be downloaded from our website here

Please either use our template letter or preferably draft your own (you can use the template as a guide). You can email or send a letter in the post to your MP and remember to include your address, so your MP knows you're part of their constituency. Find out who your MP is here.

We are pleased to credit the British Horse Society (BHS) for reminding us of the need for this action, and for providing the basis of the letter and template above.

Best wishes from

The Green Lane Association Management Team

The Green Lane Association
0800 0437844
www.glass-uk.org
[[/i]/b] DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #985819 16th Mar 2023 7:17pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
From your title I thought GLASS had started trying to close lanes! Rolling with laughter
Post #985835 16th Mar 2023 8:21pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I'm a member of the Trail Riders Fellowship. We have a similar thing going on. Mass petitions to keep our trails open. A worthy cause IMO Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #985836 16th Mar 2023 8:38pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
That's very interesting.
I thought the NERC Act of 2006 superceded the Countryside and ROW Act 2000.
NERC prevented the creation of new Rights of Way on historical evidence (6.32)
It also extinguished non recorded Rights of Way (6.33)
Any applications made before Jan 2005, under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, would still be processed. (6.35)

Unless it was all deliberately confusing, to make us think there was no point in gathering evidence and making an application. 17 years on this still makes my blood boil, the mass closure of byways on a government whim, no evidence considered. Censored

Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act, 2006 (extract) :

Part 6: Rights of way
31.Under current law, evidence of use by non-mechanically propelled vehicles of a route for a 20 year period or a dedication for such use gives rise to a public right of way for all vehicles and this public right of way can be recorded on the definitive map and statement as a byway open to all traffic. (The “definitive map and statement” is a document kept by a local authority which shows footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways open to all traffic.).

32.In Bakewell Management Ltd v Brandwood [2004] UKHL 14, [2004] 2 AC 519, the House of Lords decided that a right of way may arise where mechanically propelled vehicles have used a route for the 20-year period, even where that use was illegal. Use of footpaths or bridleways by mechanically propelled vehicles has been illegal since the 1930’s. Part 6 halts the implied creation of new public rights of way for mechanically propelled vehicles, preventing post-1930 use of a way by a mechanically propelled vehicle from giving rise to any future public right of way.

33.Part 6 also extinguishes existing public rights of way for mechanically propelled vehicles, where those rights are not already recorded on the definitive map and statement, although this is subject to certain exceptions.

34.Property owners and others with an interest in land may have been relying on unrecorded public vehicular rights of way for access to that land. Part 6 ensures that, if the public right of way for mechanically propelled rights is extinguished, these people are provided with a private right of way to access the land by mechanically propelled vehicle.

35.All claims made under Part 3 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 to establish new rights for mechanically propelled vehicles which were lodged before 20 January 2005 (in England) or 19 May 2005 (in Wales) will be preserved and dealt with under the old law. So also will applications that were lodged after the relevant date but have reached the stage of being determined by the surveying authority. So too will applications lodged by landowners who want to maintain access to their property by mechanically propelled vehicle.

36.Part 6 also amends provisions of the Highways Act 1980 that deal with the creation of public rights by a period of use. One purpose of the amendments is to make clear that use by non-mechanically propelled vehicles (such as pedal cycles) can still give rise to a new public right of way for non-mechanically propelled vehicles. Another is to clarify the date on which a public right to use a way is to be regarded as brought into question (for the purpose of calculating the length of the period of use, and thus whether or not a new public right of way has been created) in a case where the public right has been brought into question by an application to modify the definitive map and statement.

37.Finally, Part 6 includes provision to enable National Park authorities to make traffic regulation orders and other orders regulating traffic, in relation to recorded byways, footpaths and bridleways and unsealed carriageways in National Parks
Post #986120 19th Mar 2023 8:35pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
The future is bleak.
Post #986146 20th Mar 2023 7:45am
custom90

United Kingdom 
GLASS were great with a couple of local lanes I know of.
They helped on some basic maintenance and now are properly signposted etc. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #986186 20th Mar 2023 1:35pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Sent mine off but doubt if my local MP will respond, apart from a standard automatic confirmation of receipt. Disillusioned Peter from Newmarket.
Post #986194 20th Mar 2023 2:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1