↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Reversing Camera Location
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Willsashambles

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Reversing Camera Location
Hi there, I’m about to have an Alpine double din screen fitted with reversing camera, which I wish to use for trailer hitching line up as well as rear view. My fitter recommends puttting camera on rear number plate light unit but I think the angle from there to the tow bar will be too oblique. I see some people fit the camera in the existing recess in the rear crossmember……..giving a direct view of the tow ball and a good view astern. Does anybody have any thoughts on this and in particular does the camera require cleaning all the time in this location? Thanks
Post #985706 16th Mar 2023 7:28am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
What ever you do, don't fit the camera above the door. You'll see never enough and it gets dirty in seconds.

Don't ask me how I know this Whistle a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #985714 16th Mar 2023 8:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
matchap801

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I fitted mine where the rear washer jet was, and moved the washer to the top left corner of the door. Works a treat. 2009 Defender 90 CSW 2.4 TDCI.
Ex Army Mechanic still living the dream.
Post #985849 16th Mar 2023 10:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Mines the same as above, but, for hitching up as well ideally you’ll need two cameras as both can’t see the angle you would want and there isn’t much you can do about that really except maybe for removing the spare wheel if there is one.

If you only want a hitching up camera on an off very infrequently you may find a wireless one like used with horse trailers maybe more useful and just keep it out when you don’t want it. This could be your second option and fit the reverse camera as above poster did and I did.
These horse trailer camera type things have I believe a small standalone screen you can place up front, a wireless camera to place to the rear where you want and power supplied to the screen by 12v socket I’d imagine and camera powered by its own battery.

I don’t know much about them, but might be worth looking at.
You guessed it, not cheap but I think Ifor Williams do something along these lines and there are probably alternatives.

When not in use, all you’d have to do is take the standalone screen unit out and take the camera off.
I think they are similar to how stanavs used to be a few years ago and go on windscreen or dashboard area.
If you wanted two permanent cameras to the rear then you could do that, but will be a lot more wiring involved and you’ll need also an AV RCA switch to allow you to switch the camera input to the HUmfrom one to another.
You can do that with a remote control with an IR receiver for the remote but then you’ll need a power supply for the switch as well typically USB or install one.

There are multiple options, personally I’d go permanent revere and rear view camera with temporary hitching camera like the horse trailer option.
Because a permanent camera near that area will be very exposed, get dirty and likely to be damaged.
If you put it near the number plate would be better but the angle would be very strange, it maybe difficult to find it useful and end up bashing the hitch like that.

Regards the horse trailer camera, I saw it in the Ifor Williams website or catalogs I don’t know much about it but I expect there are other cheaper options also.

On mine I don’t ever need a hitching camera, but I’ve set it up so that I can have it (the rear view camera) on permanently to keep an eye on the trailer load which is basically an electronic rear view mirror on HU screen.
It also auto switches to come on when reversing by itself, I’m really happy with it.

You’ll find a way, there are just multiple options to chose from from cheaper to more expensive to more wiring involved to less to permanent solutions to temporary use which maybe easier and more convenient. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #985853 16th Mar 2023 10:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
https://www.iwt.co.uk/iwt-parts/download/4282
^^ Maybe of interest there? Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #985855 16th Mar 2023 11:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have an Optimill camera in the number plate light which provides a conventional rearwards view and a separate downward facing camera mounted centre rear on the roof rack.

The latter is incredibly useful since it looks down on the coupling/pintle for hitching a trailer, and also allows you accurately to reverse within millimetres of an object, or position the rear perfectly in parking spaces. I've never had a grime problem, I just regularly wipe the lenses.

This won't work if you have a rear mounted spare, of course.
Post #985877 17th Mar 2023 8:20am
Tdi4

Seems like a very good setup indeed. But as you said wouldn’t work with a spare.

But it gave me an idea. I have also 2 camera’s. One of them above the door (just for general view behind the car for the rest useless) but the other one I use as a forward facing camera. I installed that one to see the traffic lights Rolling with laughter but perhaps I can install that one somewhere in the rear so I can use that one to couple a trailer ie a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #985880 17th Mar 2023 8:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Put the camera on some magnets. (I built a 3d printed housing for mine) then you can move it around to behind the tow hitch when you want to back up to a trailer.

TC
Post #985975 17th Mar 2023 10:56pm
TomB8

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
I have been thinking about adding a rear camera and, whilst I have yet to take the plunge mainly due to trying to find an appropriate screen and where to put it, I thought about either welding a bracket to the plate on the door to hang the camera under the spare wheel or putting a ratchet strap around the wheel with the camera under. It is not the ideal placement, but with the spare in the way its about as high in a central location that can be achieved without having a long bar sticking out just above the spare.
Post #985977 17th Mar 2023 11:11pm
s55shh

United Kingdom 
optimill rear number plate lamp camera isn't much cop with a rear ladder.
Post #986009 18th Mar 2023 12:45pm
Tdi4

chopcat wrote:
Put the camera on some magnets. (I built a 3d printed housing for mine) then you can move it around to behind the tow hitch when you want to back up to a trailer.

TC

Do you have a photo? I would like "see" your solution a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #986077 19th Mar 2023 9:28am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I've owner various vehicles with reversing cameras and they all suffer from the grime problem die to being situated on the rear of the vehicle. My Range Rover had a separate washer jet for the camera but it never did a good job of cleaning the lens.

As an alternative to a camera how about a parking sensor beeper thingy?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B2XX4Z6/

Admittedly not so good for trailer hitching but good enough for general manoeuvring and you don't have to worry about where to fit a screen.
Post #986164 20th Mar 2023 12:40pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Tdi4 wrote:
chopcat wrote:

TC

Do you have a photo? I would like "see" your solution

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The magnets are getting a bit rusty but it doesn't fall off !
Post #986415 22nd Mar 2023 5:34pm
Tdi4

Thumbs Up

Great idea. Will copy your idea and start 3d designing a housing for my camera. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #986426 22nd Mar 2023 6:45pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
That's very tidy chopcat!
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #986427 22nd Mar 2023 7:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1