↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Vehicle mods vs. end of PCP returns
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Vehicle mods vs. end of PCP returns
Having run company cars for 15 years, my Defender is the first I've bought privately on PCP. I don't expect to buy it outright at the end of the term. It will be returned to LR.

If I were to make any modifications, I currently expect to reverse them prior to returning the vehicle. And I know I'm (supposed) to advise LR of any such modifications.

For example, adding aftermarket side-steps, or PowerfulUK mods..

If you were to do it, would you:
A. Advise LR you were doing it?
B. Expect to remove them before returning, OR does A mean you would leave the mods on the vehicle?

Cheers
Post #984917 9th Mar 2023 12:00pm
Ajay(UK)

England 
PCP is, as it says on the tin, a Personal Contract "Purchase" so you are effectively buying the vehicle. The option to drive back to the dealer at the end of the PCP agreement, hand over the keys and walk away is just one of the options available to you and all subject to the stringent mileage and condition restrictions. It is also probably the least cost effective option especially with the current high residuals for New Defender Rolling Eyes

The final balloon payment should be far less than even the trade value of the vehicle so by just handing over the keys you are also parting with some serious cash. Shocked I would expect WBAC, Motorway etc. would buy it at a more favourable price. Remember it is your car to sell and do with as you please.

A friend of mine was recently coming to the end of the PCP on his VW Golf and wrongly assumed that his only option was to return it to the dealer. In the end he took it to WBAC who bought it, payed off the balloon and transferred £5k into his bank account the next day! Needless to say he was very happy Wink

My advice would be to add the side steps and any other modification you feel would personally benefit you and a few months before the end of your PCP start looking at all the options available, including part exchanging it for any other make or model of car Thumbs Up

In the mean time enjoy Cool

Andy. 22MY Defender 110 X Dynamic HSE D250, Gondwana Stone with too many options!
Gone: 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Post #984934 9th Mar 2023 2:54pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
If it’s on a PCP, the vehicle is the property of the owner (credit company) and not the driver until all payments have been taken.

It would pay to ask them. At a guess I would say that they would be happy with LR approved and fitted accessories, even the removal of such at the end of your agreement if handing it back.

The agreement states that the vehicle must be kept in good order and in an acceptable (for its age and mileage) condition which of cause is at the discretion of the sales staff that accept it back. If it a trade in I’m sure they wouldn’t be too picky but if it’s a hand back, for whatever reason, and walk away they may not be so accommodating over any final payments owned.

And don’t forget that in the event of warranty issues the dealer will know off the system how the vehicle was handed over and work completed during its time.

Accessories removed is not an issue as the vehicle price and agreed trade in is separate from dealer fitted accessories.

Talk to them and get their answer emailed to yourself as a back up. As I said, it’s their property.
Post #984938 9th Mar 2023 3:12pm
J77

Scotland 
Always sold mine or traded in before the end of agreement. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #984939 9th Mar 2023 3:12pm
XplusYplusZ

Thanks all.

The flexibility of the PCP was attractive - especially with the combination of production challenges but also the promotion of EV usage, I don't really know what the government/London Mayor will have cooked up by 2027 regarding big diesel engines. Having the option to hand it back if it's hard to sell was good to have in the pocket, and as you pointed out, being able to buy and sell it for a better price is also an option if the market leans that way in the future.

I guess by not knowing if i'll hand it back or sell it independently, makes the modification decision harder. Anything I do will need to be reversible until i make that decision.

In particular I was looking at aftermarket sidesteps, I believe they would be reversible. But not sure if i'd need to remove before handing back..
Post #985027 10th Mar 2023 1:44pm
J77

Scotland 
I think side steps would be ok 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #985031 10th Mar 2023 2:21pm
DAP2022

United Kingdom 
I think you need to cut the plastic sill to fit steps. choice of leaving them on or risking eagle eye inspector looks, and resultant cost
Post #985072 10th Mar 2023 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1