↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Diesel Vapour / 'Smoke' when refuelling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Diesel Vapour / 'Smoke' when refuelling
When refuelling, I noticed a disconcerting dark coloured vapour (almost like smoke) pouring out of the fuel tank filler hole as the fuel is added. I'd never seen this before in other diesel vehicles.

It's taken me a while but I finally found an official answer from LR, figured I'd share it for anyone who thought smoke from a fuel tank was possibly a bad thing..

"From TOPIX:

Reference SSM72501
Models Discovery Sport / L550
Range Rover Evoque / L538
Title AJ200 Fuelmisting when filling with fuel
Category Engine
Last modified 04Nov2015

Symptom 404000 Fuel System Concerns

Content Issue:
Fuel misting may be seen from the fuel tank filler neck, with the fuel filler cap removed and when filling with Diesel fuel. Discovery Sport &Evoque 2.0 I4 Diesel (AJ200).

Cause:
When the fuel is returned to the tank from the engine, it is deposited into the swirl pot to maintain the fuel delivery performance of the system.
The recirculated fuel is hot, so it may sometimes create a mist inside the tank.
When the car is refuelled, the mist may escape through the filler neck and can be seen with a naked eye.

This is a natural phenomenon and can only take place if all of the following conditions are met:
Low fuel level in the tank (approximately 10 litres or less).
Normal fuelling flow rate.
A temperature difference of 50 degrees Centigrade (or 122 deg. Fahrenheit or 323 deg. Kelvin) between the fuel inside the swirl pot andthe fuel inside the tank (Example: An engine has been run shortly before refuellingand there was not enough time for the mist tocondensate inside the tank).

Action:
No action required. Typically such gentle mist may form and escape the fuel tank if the above conditions are met."
Post #984816 8th Mar 2023 12:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1