Home > P400e Area (L663) > P400e Long trips mileage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
scancian

Spain 
P400e Long trips mileage
Hello everybody and greetings from Barcelona,

I`m driving now a D5 Td6 and I'm looking for its replacement. I love the Disco but I'm missing the personality that It had my previous D3.

I'm considering the Defender P400e because I spent the most of the time in the surroundings of Barcelona city where the is a Low Emission Zone. I've analized my trips from the las 300 trips imported from the LR Remote App and in the 68 days that I have used de the car (from November 7 until February 12) only 7 days I have done more than 100km doing 3.524km in these long trips (but it represent the 59% of the mileage of the period) and in the 61 remaining days I drove 2511 km (41 km average that is closed to the EV rang).

I have read many posts in this forum, thanks for sharing your experience, but I haven't found many info about long trips (>500km). I use to cross Spain 5 times a year ir order to reach the mountains in 750Km trip each way. Now I'm having 10.4 l/100 km (27mpg) at an average speed of 120km/h with my Discovery 5. I assume that the P400e with a single charge before leaving home (and not to many opportunities to recharge) will be close to 25mpg but It is only an hypotese after reading you, It will be very helpful, If you have done long trips, that you can share your consumptions. I'will trevel with 3 teenagers and 2 e-bikes in the towbar...

Thanks in advance and apologies for my English writing

Victor
Post #982608 16th Feb 2023 9:58am
Ritson

France 
Hi Victor

I recently did a round trip from SW France to the NE of England, almost 1,300km one way. I averaged about 23mpg though I did have the largest LR roof box on top which apparently impacts fuel consumption quite a lot. So I would guess you wouldn't be far wrong at 25mpg Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #982622 16th Feb 2023 12:21pm
scancian

Spain 
Thank you very much Ritson, really helpful. In my case the trips will be without the roof box...25mpg is reasonable
Post #982662 16th Feb 2023 6:24pm
Sw1ggy

I’ve now done 2090 miles in my P400e that I got just before Xmas, starting off with a 400 mile trip to Gloucester and return a few days later, averaged around 23mpg into head wind and bad weather on way south and 26mpg heading north with a tailwind. Did try to charge en route, but it’s much more expensive than running on petrol - I think the equivalent to 26mpg would be around 31p per KW, most of the motorway chargers are at 65p per KW! However, where the P400e comes into its own is on shorter journeys and I think whether it makes sense for you depends on your usage. The rest of my mileage is either a couple of 25 mile journeys once a week (no charging in between as at airport) and running around locally up to 5 miles. My average now, according to the car, is to 41mpg and my fixed electricity rate at home is 18.6p per KW. We have even towed the horsebox with a large horse in it with it and it works seamlessly between electric and petrol. Given your mileage, then I think it will be close - real world range at home in winter on just EV is 20 miles. A friend has a D300 Defender (with roof rack and man bags) and he averages around 25mpg. Hope this helps - we had a D4, D5 and a RRS, but my wife’s favourite is definitely joint between the D4 and the Defender - it is the true replacement for the D4. The Defender will become my wife’s car and I’m going to get something more sporty! Defender L663 P400e X Dynamic HSE
Gone:
L494 RRS P400 HST
Disco 5 HSE Luxury
Disco 4 Landmark
Post #982708 16th Feb 2023 9:56pm
scancian

Spain 
Thanks Sw1ggy.

Here in Barcelona the Winter is mild, just two or three weeks below 5 degrees Celsius in the morning. But the summer is really warm...
Post #982757 17th Feb 2023 10:43am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I'm still surprised how heavy the P400e is on petrol once the battery is flat. Neutral
Post #982797 17th Feb 2023 4:19pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I am too. We have a RRS P400 and I ran it to the lakes and back and she averaged 33mpg. That included all the shirt runs around the lakes for 3 days etc. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #982928 18th Feb 2023 6:22pm
J77

Scotland 
Personally I’d prefer the hybrid to be mated up to one of the diesel engines, at least once the battery is dead there’s a chance of getting reasonable mpg. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #982988 19th Feb 2023 11:06am
Tim in Scotland

I have run a non LR hybrid and an EV in the last 5 years - TBH the hybrid was a waste of time especially in cold weather and when it ran in fossil burning mode most of the time. Compared to its purely ICE sister, the hybrid would struggle to get 50% of the mpg of the pure petrol version (Mini Countryman) with the same petrol engine. Dragging around the extra weight of the battery was equivalent of hauling around a permanent obese passenger and then there was also the weight of the the extra motor. I would not consider the Defender P400e and would prefer the latest RRS Hybrid which for most of my trips I could use in pure EV mode >90% of the time (if the range claims are reflected in the real motoring world and not in the lab!). I could then sell my Mini EV, which is brilliant as a fun car but not great as a roadtripper, but Minis were never great for that, as most of my trips are 35-50 miles round trip.
As LR needs to reduce its corporate emissions I struggle to see how they justify the price of the either the Defender or the RRS Hybrids. While I love my Mini Cooper S E AND my Defender I won’t be first in the queue for a Defender EV unless the charging network improves or the range is in excess of 300 miles in the real world. Off-road an EVs consumption doubles or even triples and where I go for off-road fun I doubt that there is either the range or the ultra rapid charging (ie chargers that can deliver 150kW or more) infrastructure in locations away from trunk routes - it’s pointless having a car with a huge battery in excess of 100kWhr when all the chargers around are 50kW or lower rated, it will take an age to charge them up to get home after a day on the hillsides. I’m sold on EV motoring for short stop/start and town driving but am not convinced that the rural charging network is there yet to cater for a properly Offroad capable EV. Round where I am there is a single 50kW charger out of 15 units that are ultra slow 7 or 22kW units.
I follow several YouTube channels from the USA and Norway and Rivian and Hummer EV owners seem to have big problems getting decent charging on the CCS networks - mainly because of people with smaller capacity / low chargeing rate vehicles hogging ultra rapid chargers that their vehicles cannot handle and people who will insist on charging to 100% which takes minimum an extra 30-45 minutes above the 20 minutes it takes to go from 20-80%. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 19th Feb 2023 2:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #982994 19th Feb 2023 12:11pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Agree. Never thought the P400e made sense. A mate of mine has one. He uses the electric on the school run but a D4 for longer trips.
Post #982996 19th Feb 2023 12:39pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
The plug in’s are a tax dodge for most. We’ve got a RRS P440e on order. It will do a real world 50miles on electric (70mile quoted). Mated to the P400 petrol. I agree with the above, only seems Merc do diesel plug-in hybrids sadly.

That said, we test drove and it’s a lovely thing. Will make a lovely Defender P440e in the future and currently RR’s best selling model. But the only reason we are taking one is the 5% BIK tax. I’d rather have a D350. For 50% of the time we’ll just be using it as a P400 but carrying a load of batteries and motors along for the ride Embarassed 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #982999 19th Feb 2023 1:09pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Moo wrote:
Agree. Never thought the P400e made sense. A mate of mine has one. He uses the electric on the school run but a D4 for longer trips.

I agree on the Defender but not for all hybrids. Hence I didn't order the P400e. I've run hybrids for the last 8 years and the current BMW is a great car.
Post #983015 19th Feb 2023 4:53pm
Ritson

France 
Moo wrote:

Whilst I understand for most the P400e may not be suitable, for me its perfect. 80% of my trips are under 20km meaning I can run almost entirely on electric, but for the odd longer trip I have the petrol engine.

I also needed a vehicle which could tow an 8m caravan and could accommodate a 65kg dog in the back! Some of us don't have the luxury of being able to choose between 2 (or more) cars based on the journey length or requirements. I needed something that could cover all bases.

Also, because of French Environmental laws you are heavily penalised for running a large ICE, be it diesel or petrol. Hybrids such as the P400e are exempt. My P400e therefore cost me less than an equivalent spec Diesel or Petrol because of the Euro20k (soon to be 40k) Environmental penalty these incur.

So, its horses for courses.... whilst it may not suit you, or the majority of drivers, to say the P400e doesn't make sense is like saying the F-Type Jag doesn't make sense because it doesn't suit the majority of drivers either.... but there are plenty of them about!!! Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #983017 19th Feb 2023 5:15pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Agree F-Type doesn't make sense! Interesting to note the French system.

Thats a big dog Whistle
Post #983019 19th Feb 2023 5:46pm
Ritson

France 

Click image to enlarge

He's a big lad Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #983020 19th Feb 2023 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>