↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Scotland 2012
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

GREENI wrote:
We've just read this thread again and it seems the Scottish tourist board could do with a midge cull Laughing

Seems a hell of a shame that the midges are putting us off going

Midges are employed by the Scottish tourist board to keep out any unwanted ------- !!! Whistle Whistle
Post #143862 7th May 2012 8:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
HA, they work well!
Post #143863 7th May 2012 8:34pm
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Right, the outline route is more or less finished, just got to make note of the penultimate section. The route does not include travelling to any, or many attractions. These will be added as and when we decide what we are doing for the day when we are up there, although we have a couple of ideas already. Note: Locations in bold are where we are staying.

Day One: West Mid's to Coniston, Lake District.

Day Two: Coniston, Penrith, Kielder Forest, Galashiels, Forth Bridge to Bridge of Allan.

Day Three: Bridge of Allan, Dundee, Arbroath, Capatain Scott & Dr.Watson Cairn to Braemar.

Day Four & Five: Aberdeenshire.

Day Six: Braemar, Loch Ness, Inverness, Cromarty Ferry, Dornoch to Spittal.

Day Seven: Touring north east Highlands.

Day Eight: Spittal, Bettyhill, Scourie, Lochinver to Ullapool.

Day Nine: In & around Ullapool.

Day Ten: Ullapool, Gairloch, Kyle of Lochalsh, Isle of Skye, Ferry to Mallaig, Fort William to Oban.

Day Eleven: In & around Oban.

Day Twelve: Oban to Dumfries (route yet to be planned).

Day Thirteen: Dumfries to West Mid's.

Thanks to all those on here who gave ideas for the trip. We've not really gone for the islands as it's just too impractical to fit them in whilst doing all the above. Skye only got in in the end as it's a useful way to get down to Mallaig and a nice break from driving. That said, originally we were planning to do a 100 mile tour of Skye, but cut it down as it would have meant a 350 odd mile run that day.

Up to day ten we are looking at 1050.7 miles. It would have been more but her in doors didn't fancy some days where 300+ miles would have been likely, so the route has been trimmed here and there. Even so, the grand total is likely to be quite a bit more than 1500 miles.

Chris. http://shropshirelandrovers.freeforums.org

2015 Defender 90 XS SW & Helen, 1964 IIa. Previously 2012 Defender 90 XS SW & 2008 90 XS SW.

Previous LR's: Michael, my 2008 Defender 90 XS SW.

Machinas oportet intrare non capsicum annuum faveo
Post #150053 13th Jun 2012 2:53am
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
Looks like a fantastic route to me. I've done some of those roads myself and you're in for a treat.

Only suggestion I would make is to miss out the Forth Bridge and use the Kincardine Bridge instead. The roads around the Forth Bridge are currently being upgraded and it's a total nightmare just now... mile upon mile of road works and 40mph average speed cameras!

If you really want to see the Forth Bridges (worth seeing if you haven't before) then I would suggest this route instead:

Come out of Edinburgh on the A90 Queensferry road

Follow that until it meets the M9 just before the bridge

Come off at the next junction and take the last exit off the roundabout - A8000

There's a Shell petrol station on the right hand side as you exit the roundabout, come off on the first left turning and drive past the station.

That road leads you to a carpark above both bridges (toilets and a snack van if required)

View bridges, take loads of pictures Mr. Green

Exit the car park the same way you came in and head back to the main road.

Turn right at the main road back towards the roundabout.

Take the 2nd exit - A904

Follow that road until you come to a T junction, turn left towards Linlithgow

Next town you come to is Linlithgow, it has quite a smart castle that used to be a Royal summer home

Exit in the same direction you were heading - towards Falkirk

At the big roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the M9

Follow that until the junction for the Kincardine Bridge

Keep going on that road until you hit another big roundabout

Take the 2nd exit over the left of the two bridges

once over that and up the hill it will bring you to a roundabout on the road you would have originally been on if you had gone over the Forth Bridge

Hope that is of some help Thumbs Up
Post #150055 13th Jun 2012 5:35am
Maxxed_Ross

oh and for day 12 you have to come back the A82 down the side of Loch Lomond, it's a fantastic road Cool
Post #150057 13th Jun 2012 5:38am
Maxxed_Ross

and the A76 through Crumnock and Thornhill - that's a great driving road too Laughing
Post #150058 13th Jun 2012 5:40am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Great posts Chris and Ross.

We are giving Scotland a swerve until Autumn due to the Mrs G's fear of being bitten Shocked
Post #150081 13th Jun 2012 8:33am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Your Day 10 looks fantastic!

As you drive from Gairloch to Kyle of Lochalsh, it's worth a 10-min diversion to PLOCKTON.

Also, when you get off the ferry at Mallaig, you'll pass through MORAR and ARISAIG - both stunning (the white sands of Morar are famous).

MORAR:

Enjoy! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 13th Jun 2012 8:47am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #150082 13th Jun 2012 8:35am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Looks great Martin.
Seriously, who needs package holidays!!!

It's why I've never been on one Cool
Post #150083 13th Jun 2012 8:39am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Oh...and whilst at Lochinver, the walk to Sandwood Bay is worthwhile (supposed to be one of the best beaches in Britain!)

You may be able to tell I love the West Coast of Scotland! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #150086 13th Jun 2012 8:53am
roamingman

Scotland 
Hi when you are in Aberdeenshire (day 4-5) Anywhere near Banff, we could meet up for a cuppa, next to Banff is McDuff just over bridge, there is a good Aqurium, also around Aberdeenshire there are a few Castles and Distileries. If you are into bird watching (flying type) not far from us is a RSBP reserve.

regards kevin Live Life Ti'l You Die
Teddys are out thier

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com
http://130sasha.co.uk/
Post #150109 13th Jun 2012 9:56am
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Good route. We've just returned from a week in Skye and I'd advise reducing your time in Aberdeenshire and extending it in the north west area. The scenery is better over there and the roads can be slow driving (much of the area has single track roads) so don't assume you'll easily make good mileage.
Post #150206 13th Jun 2012 8:39pm
cinstone

Thanks all for the tips, advice and thoughts. Now where to start with the replies.

Maxxed_Ross: Cheers for the info'. Just like climbing a mountain we are driving across the Forth Bridge just because it's there. We've done the "Proper" one, i.e. the railway bridge a few years back now. Thanks for the info' on the alternative options though. Will print it off and add it to the rest of the info' in the lever arch file. The A82 I've done before. Didn't like it much cuz' I was on a T595 Daytona and there was too many coaches in the way Whistle. Crumnock (ish) we'll be doing, but I'll update you all on this section in a bit.

MartinK: Cheers. Again, info' will be added to the file.

roamingman: I don't know where we are going exactly and on what days, so I'll have to leave it for the moment. If and when I get more of an idea when and where we will be over those couple of days I'll let you know. Banff was on the cards as we've been to the one in Canada and want to see the first one Laughing.

Odin: My girlfriend wants to spend a decent amount of time in and around Braemar, so that's why we've penciled in the couple of days in that area. Understand the lack of progress we will make on some roads.

Day eleven will be in and around Oban and day twelve will be Oban to Dumfries. The route for day twelve is only roughly sketched out, but is likely to be the following (the idea being not to use any motorway until we really have to on the last day);-

Oban (A816) to A83 at Lochgilphead, Arrochar (A814) to Dumbarton. A726, Paisley, A727, Strathaven, A71, B743, A70, Crumnock, Dumfires.

We are staying in the Dumfries area as our usual place we stay in at Coniston is fully booked on the way back.

I'll tot up the total milage when the rest of the route is a little more settled.

Cheers all.

2015 Defender 90 XS SW & Helen, 1964 IIa. Previously 2012 Defender 90 XS SW & 2008 90 XS SW.

Last edited by cinstone on 13th Jun 2012 11:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #150233 13th Jun 2012 11:00pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
All you peeps who've posted stuff on this thread...
Thank you Bow down

I sat with a map and hi-lighted all the places, beaches, roads etc ready for a trip up there.

I'm sure there are lurkers here too, who have had info from threads like this, so, thanks for your efforts and time invested in typing stuff like this out Cow
Post #150237 13th Jun 2012 11:05pm
cinstone

No prob's.

With us we had a few places we wanted to go to, then posting about it on here, Shropshire Land Rovers and the LRS3C forums amongst others we've penciled many of the ideas in. Some have stayed, some have been removed, but really we should have gone over three weeks.

I was going to get all the O.S explorer maps for the trip but decided that my map fetish wasn't that great when I'd totalled up 60 odd maps with only two thirds of the route planned!

Next year it's island hopping along the west coast in my IIa.

Last edited by cinstone on 13th Jun 2012 11:17pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #150239 13th Jun 2012 11:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>