↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 Anti Stall - not working right?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Td5 Anti Stall - not working right?
Hi All,

Where I live now my drive is a steep hill which pretty much starts from the garage door. I forever have to go to low range (keeps that lubricated!) because whatever I do I will stall the engine in hi range.

I had a Td5 Discovery (99 10P) manual - fantastic car and never recall having stalling issues. I know the Td5 has an antistall build in which I assume has something to do with fueling. Could there be an issues with that on my car?

Now my clutch biting point is very low, but the ECU gets the clutch signal (checked with nanocom). I was thinking maybe the antistall uses the clutch signal and possibly this is out of sync? I tried to adjust my clutch, bleed it etc, no luck. Someone has been in there (bought the car in Oman..) and it is a right mess in there. I was going to remove the whole pedal, refurbish and properly adjust. I actually have a whole spare assembly in my parts stash..
Post #983851 27th Feb 2023 1:27pm
thinman21

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
The TD5 anti-stall is a bit rudimentary:

To use it going up a steep hill: stop at the bottom, select 4WD low range, select 1st gear (all with clutch in) Turn off your ignition, wait for a few seconds, release the clutch pedal, then turn the ignition on (without the clutch in, and don't touch the accelerator or brakes) your truck should climb the steep hill, even lose terrain/hill without any driver input other than steering.

Are you using it like that (I have to read my notes every-time I need it as I forge......
Post #983859 27th Feb 2023 2:22pm
TexasRover

Ah no, i don't drive out my garage in first low hitting the starter without clutch. It's steep but not that steep. Low range works just fine, I must be the only person in France using low range daily!

Ok in that case never mind.. i will still fix the clutch but won't expect any miracles. Soon enought we will move to a purchase house hopefully with a normal drive ( and room for some more Landrovers..)

Thanks.
Post #983868 27th Feb 2023 3:33pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
If it has been messed about is the wiring and plug still attached to the master cylinder? If so and you have a signal (Nanocom confirmed you said) just let the clutch out slowly and do not touch the accelerator. Once moving give it throttle. That is how the anti-stall works in high range.

Good luck.

Click image to enlarge
 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #983875 27th Feb 2023 4:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
thinman21 wrote:
The TD5 anti-stall is a bit rudimentary:

To use it going up a steep hill: stop at the bottom, select 4WD low range, select 1st gear (all with clutch in) Turn off your ignition, wait for a few seconds, release the clutch pedal, then turn the ignition on (without the clutch in, and don't touch the accelerator or brakes) your truck should climb the steep hill, even lose terrain/hill without any driver input other than steering.

Are you using it like that (I have to read my notes every-time I need it as I forge......

Your "ins" and "outs" are confused. A clutch is "in" when the pedal is released and "out" when the pedal is pressed. It has been this way since motors where invented and not even the Internet can change it. Thumbs Up
Post #983903 27th Feb 2023 7:21pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Is your MAF ok?

A poorly MAF makes a Td5 very flat at low revs. Just a thought.
Post #983904 27th Feb 2023 7:26pm
blackwolf

I bought my Td5 Disco new and for years never even realised it had anti-stall, it's that good.

My 2.4 Puma is a completely different story, the a/s is extraordinary.

It may well be there's nothing wrong with yours.
Post #983907 27th Feb 2023 7:54pm
kenzle8a

My antistall got a bit funny at about 153k miles when the clutch and DMF were failing. It was very fussy setting off up anything steep in 1st at that point. Once my new LOF clutch and SMF went in its been fine for the last 15k miles, it will even pull off without stalling with our 3 tonne horse trailer on the back, even up the slight hill into the farm.
Post #983915 27th Feb 2023 8:57pm
blackwolf

Perhaps it works better on the Defender TD5 than the Disco TD5 in that case!
Post #983916 27th Feb 2023 9:08pm
kenzle8a

its pretty good on mine, I've only really driven a brand new TD5 or a very old TD5 that ive replaced a lot of bits on so I've never had one over a long period of time.

Since I rebuilt the fuel pressure regulator and did the clutch and flywheel and the PCV valve and injector harness and cleaned the ECU when I got it unsurprisingly drives a lot better than when I picked it up.

Mine isn't mapped and still has the EGR in place.
Post #983917 27th Feb 2023 9:14pm
TexasRover

Thanks all for your feedback. I have a nanocom and have chased every failed components (such as MAF). Also had leaking intake and exhaust gaskets, even had to skim the exhaust manifold etc. It used to smoke on acceleration, which now it does not. Turbo pressure seems good.

I will keep looking and will start with getting the clutch improved..
Post #983924 27th Feb 2023 10:25pm
TexasRover

Oh yeah I bought a new (LR) PCV valve - not yet fitted. And I got hold of a 15p EGR system, which has been removed of course and plan to refit soon. I know the horror, but I like things original and with regular cleaning it can only be beneficial for the environment.

Clutch was recently changed by PO I have the receipt. Must be dual mass as there are no change vibrations.
Post #983925 27th Feb 2023 10:30pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Td5 Anti Stall - not working right?
TexasRover wrote:
Hi All,

Where I live now my drive is a steep hill which pretty much starts from the garage door. I forever have to go to low range (keeps that lubricated!) because whatever I do I will stall the engine in hi range.

I had a Td5 Discovery (99 10P) manual - fantastic car and never recall having stalling issues. I know the Td5 has an antistall build in which I assume has something to do with fueling. Could there be an issues with that on my car?

Now my clutch biting point is very low, but the ECU gets the clutch signal (checked with nanocom). I was thinking maybe the antistall uses the clutch signal and possibly this is out of sync? I tried to adjust my clutch, bleed it etc, no luck. Someone has been in there (bought the car in Oman..) and it is a right mess in there. I was going to remove the whole pedal, refurbish and properly adjust. I actually have a whole spare assembly in my parts stash..

I know when I've driven Td5 Discos in high range, they have been easy to stall when moving them about in a yard. I found if you had any pressure on the throttle pedal (resting your foot) or just a light throttle they will stall easily. If you put you right foot on the floor and completely off of the pedal then it was mostly impossible to stall them doing the same moving about.
Post #984193 2nd Mar 2023 4:34pm
phillips321

2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Belize Green
Anti stall turns off if you touch the clutch or accelerator. I literally have to trust the car and take feet off everything and let it go.
Post #984342 3rd Mar 2023 11:14pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Anti stall works, just get your feet off the pedals and as long as there are not sudden drops and climbs it works good.

http://youtu.be/qQrDcALvG0Q

Yes this was about 10 years ago. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #985454 13th Mar 2023 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1