↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2021MY (L663) > Coils or Air suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nitrolous77

Coils or Air suspension
In the process of speccing a 110 and am wondering what are the pros and cons between choosing coils over air suspension?

Vehicle will not be used off road, primary use will be day to day driving.
Post #983195 21st Feb 2023 10:12am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
If you can afford it, go for it. I think most people love it. I find air a bit wallowy on uneven roads and prefer the coils (which is lucky because when I ordered my Hard Top it wasn't even an option). https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #983199 21st Feb 2023 10:26am
Badeagle

England 
With air suspension access is easier as it lowers when parked MY23 XS 110 D250
2003 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Post #983234 21st Feb 2023 6:02pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l've got coil springs on my 90 Commercial but the general word on the street seems to be, tick the "air suspension" box on the configurator.

Having said that, if l was ordering again l still wouldn't bother spending the extra 2k as mine is absolutely fine on coils although side steps will make it easier to get in, when l get around to fitting them!!
Post #983244 21st Feb 2023 7:15pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Have taken both out. The air is not noticeably smoother for day to day driving, not that I noticed anyway. Does have the benefit of access mode though. Will probably hold a bit more value at resale if that’s important to you. That being said, I went coil.
Post #983246 21st Feb 2023 7:25pm
TomCat75

United Kingdom 
This question gets asked regularly, including by myself last year. Opinion seems divided which is interesting but not necessarily helpful.
We tried both and ended up adding it to our order. I found that the difference was quite noticeable on the local roads, due to their condition, but not so much on the better maintained (smoother) strategic routes (Motorways and other A roads).

My wife and I were recently invited to a LR event. The first car we drove was a D300 Defender and even as a passenger I knew within 1/2 a mile it was on coils. We continued driving that car for an hour and both agreed the ride was great... It's just that the lumps and bumps seem to have their edges taken off with the air. As a side note, we also drove a FFRR and thought the ride on that was something else.

The other consideration I hadn't initially thought about is the access height. This summer we're off to Europe and some of the car parks at hotels etc have a height limit of 2m. Being able to drop the vehicle to access those locations is going to be very handy.

In summary, if you can afford it then tick the box. It's useful and well suited to the crappy UK roads.

Last edited by TomCat75 on 17th Feb 2024 2:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1024996 17th Feb 2024 1:39pm
tonyp

United Kingdom 
I have had my 110 for 3 weeks now and glad I opted for Air Suspension - roads where I live are terrible and have to say the ride is great. In my last car you felt every bump in the road. Tony

MY24 - 110 D300 HSE in Tasman Blue with White Contrast Roof. Air Suspension, Off-Road Pack, Towing Pack, Three-zone Climate Control, HUD, Cold Climate Pack, Classic Mud-Flaps, Fixed Side Steps, Wheel Arch Protection, Rear Recovery Eyes. Plus a few extras to keep the Cocker Spaniel safe & happy.
Post #1024998 17th Feb 2024 2:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1