↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Anyone purchased a Richards Chassis bulkhead yet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Anyone purchased a Richards Chassis bulkhead yet?
I am strongly considering buying a bulkhead from Richards Chassis as I am still not entirely sold on sending my own bulkhead for stripping and galvanising. I figure by buying one from a supplier, they take the risk on the galvanising process and I can be sure that there are no bits of trapped paint etc hiding in a pocket somewhere. It also means that I can save myself a couple of days of work repairing my old one.

So, has anyone purchased one yet? They seem to be truer to OE spec than the Ultra Bulkheads offerings and having seen both premises I am leaning towards RC. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts or experiences as its not a small amount of coin to drop.... 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #982887 18th Feb 2023 12:25pm
kenzle8a

I saw on facebook Jedi 4x4 have I think had some in, might be worth giving them a call and double checking.
Post #982899 18th Feb 2023 2:22pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

we did and were rebuilding an old 200 tdi 90.had an ultra one last time on a td5 and far from happy with that for fit and finish

on the other bulkhead thread i have posted a few pics and i have to say its great quality i knew we were getting the first of the 200 and were told to feedback any issues so they could tweak the next ones they did.

3 holes missing is about the limit and to be fair they knew about them but were not drilled as the position varies on early and later years and 5 mins with a drill and galv spray sorted it.

we have a pile of pics of the job or you can come and have a look at it if your local as its in the garage still.

as you may know you can pop in and see the lads hard at work assembling them and they also have some of the e coated ones ready now (dipped not sprayed) and they look good too.

Click image to enlarge
Post #982900 18th Feb 2023 2:26pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Thanks Mdm, that's just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Some photos would be great if possible please as I'm a little way from Lancashire.

I hadn't seen the other thread previously, but it looks as though you had a galvanised one? Did you have any issues with warping etc?

I will likely ask for a few modifications prior to galvanising (pre def. wing fixings and no central washer jet hole etc.) but am also considering asking them to include some access holes such that I can get to the rear of the door hinge bolts in the A-pillar. Perhaps I'm overthinking it?

Also considering opting for the later oval type wiper spindle holes so that I can use the post-'02 wheelboxes. Again, perhaps I'm overthinking it. Either way, I'd be interested to hear if you have any thoughts on any other mods that might be beneficial. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #982906 18th Feb 2023 4:15pm
paul 123

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Caledonian Blue
i collected one for my 300tdi yesterday. it looks good quality.
Post #982914 18th Feb 2023 5:22pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
no issues with warping. they have made some new frames up to hold them in but the galv was good on ours. dropped onto the chassis easily.

your mods seem fine not sure if they can do them but im sure a phone call would sort it one way or another.

im told they are hoping to ship a couple of bulkheads to 4x4 places around the uk so folk can see them with less traveling but dont take my word for that until they confirm it.
Post #982957 18th Feb 2023 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1