↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sound Deadening Puma 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MattyEssex

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Indus Silver
Sound Deadening Puma 110
Hi very quick question as unable to find answer through other similar threads, probably there but missed it.

I’m applying 3mm Silent Coat sound deadening and 6mm foam layer to my 110 but unsure if able to do under the rear seat brackets as read somewhere you are then unable to get the carpet back under the brackets frame?

Any advice greatly received.

Click image to enlarge
Post #982881 18th Feb 2023 10:42am
Polarismd

United Kingdom 
Done exactly that, except with kilmat, it's a fiddle and you do have to bend the bracket (a little) to get underneath.

The 6mm foam makes so much difference on that floor, but not so much on the roof.

Chris
Post #982883 18th Feb 2023 11:03am
Polarismd

United Kingdom 
It'll be the holding bar at the rear door you'll have most trouble with...BTW. I rebuilt mine as previous owner installed it all arse up'ards as my dad would have said. And seen loads like it since. It's also why the rear door leaks..
Post #982884 18th Feb 2023 11:06am
MattyEssex

Polarismd wrote:
Done exactly that, except with kilmat, it's a fiddle and you do have to bend the bracket (a little) to get underneath.

The 6mm foam makes so much difference on that floor, but not so much on the roof.

Chris

Thanks Chris so you did go under it with the Kilmat and foam or just kilmat?

Would you say it’s not worth doing the roof in the foam also then?

Also would you suggest just doing kilmat to the bar and not foam so bar goes back down properly?

Thanks for advise appreciated!!
Post #982890 18th Feb 2023 11:48am
Polarismd

United Kingdom 
Hi, I did the floor first and was disappointed. Then added the foam and that made a lot of difference. Do the side panels as well, I got some carpet from Stoneleigh show for the sides by the third row....

Foam and Kilmat under the seat catch, it's a fiddle and you will scrape your knuckles. But I think it's worth it.

I did the same with the roof, the Kilmat worked a lot better up there. I found the vertical panels above the rear door were also drumming so small off cuts of Kilmat were used and that was also the most successful.

I then added the foam and found not much difference.

It is cheap though and hardly any additional weight, but it's very difficult to apply neatly.

Chris
Post #982894 18th Feb 2023 12:24pm
Polarismd

United Kingdom 
Do under the front seats and the cubby box, as well as the vertical "kick plate" in front of second row.

We have a professional sound meter in the business, high frequency noise reduced by about 15%, low frequency by 40% in total, with the meter installed just above the second row.

Buying the wife a new car also reduced a whine when spending money.

Chris
Post #982895 18th Feb 2023 12:30pm
MattyEssex

Thanks Chris well underway now everything being stripped will start on rear floor level then work up.

That one annoying whine won’t go away she loves the car to much 😂

Progress

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #982984 19th Feb 2023 9:08am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Looking good!

I'm almost at the end of my soundproofing journey and have done virtually everything including the front bulkhead. One area that's rarely mentioned is the transmission tunnel. So much noise enters the cab this way. It will depend on what insulation you have already, but I added 12mm dodo super liner from bulkhead to seat box and sealed all the joints between the tunnel covers and floor and bulkhead. It makes a massive difference!

My final layer is adding the Wright Off-road matt system to the cab on top of the silent coat and thermal Liner... Should get the truck back early next week so I can update on the results.. TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #982995 19th Feb 2023 11:22am
MattyEssex

Thanks Andy be good to hear more when it comes back.

12mm seems very thick thought my 3mm with 6mm dodo foam was pushing it but obvs works as you have done it. Interested to learn more about the Wright Off-road matt system.
Post #983053 19th Feb 2023 10:40pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
A quick update - I had the Wright Offroad mats installed on top of the other layers of soundproofing I already had. I also added some closed cell foam under the tunnel section of the mats as most of my remaining noise is coming from the transmission tunnel.

The end result... it's definitely quieter!

When I first started the engine I was a bit disappointed becuase it sounded much the same on tickover.

Once I started driving it was completely different and for the first time I could hear the gentle whine of the transmission (new gearbox) because the overall level of cab noise was much reduced.

The other thing I noticed was that once the truck has properly warmed up, the cab noise on tickover and when driving is much reduced. I'm not a mechanic, but perhaps cold transmission fluid contributes to greater noise in some way?

Anyway, I've tested it several times now and when it has warmed up it really is remarkably quiet for a Defender and I am really happy with the resuts - which is just as well because I don't think there's anything left that I've not soundproofed Rolling with laughter TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #986301 21st Mar 2023 11:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1