↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > 2003 TD5 Rear discs and pads...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Re: 2003 TD5 Rear discs and pads...
Procta wrote:
2hel wrote:
Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for rear brake kits? Im only looking for standard not performance as its a standard TD5. There seems to be so many options out there with kits offering different componants? What do i need to undertake the job?

please be gentle as I'm still quite new to defender ownership Laughing

Picture of my current discs so you understand why I'm changing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Make sure you have a decent quality socket for those, i found they are 1/2 not 13mm. Some Censored who serviced the brakes on mine, had badly rounded the bolt, so we had to cut the bloody bolt, and then cut the caliper in half, so it would come off the disc. Then it was just a case of grabbing the stud a molegrips. A simple job turned into a nightmare for us!

So stock up on spare parts before you tackle this!

Your socket fit is really important. As has been said above, a 1/2" socket may be a better fit - but the only way to find out is to try it on the bolt head.

I also have had a nightmare with a caliper which needed to be cut in half to get the bolts out. These had been rounded off which may have been because they were seized OR it may have been someone using a naff socket and rounding them that lead to them becoming as seized as they were.

I have ended up with numerous sockets over the years - some crap quality, some decent and some well used. Both 13mm and 1/2" sockets were not a snug enough fit. I also have a Kennedy metric socket set and the quality and crisp splines on the 13mm socket made it a good fit - far better than the 1/2" ones.

Whilst that caliper ended up with the bolts having to be drilled out, the others actually came out using that snug fitting socket and a 600mm breaker bar AND soaking the bolts in plusgas each day for about three days before.
Post #982508 15th Feb 2023 6:27am
kenzle8a

I've got a set of 12 spline 3/8th Impact sockets that pay dividends on Land Rover parts, the impact sockets have a little bit more wiggle room and with a long ratchet extension you can ease a lot of bolts off.

Its also worth saying that plus gas etc will only do 1/2 a job on the caliper bolts, you really need to get them pretty hot, usually from both sides to melt all the thread lock on them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133072964467?ch...dBEALw_wcB
Post #982518 15th Feb 2023 9:15am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
How do you use your Land Rover? If you don't go off-road that much go for good quality brake pads. If you go off-road and drive a lot in wet sand go for cheap pads as wet sand is like sand paper and you brake pads can be gone in a few days (if they last that long). Cheap brake pads may wear faster but not as much as the are cheaper. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #982592 15th Feb 2023 10:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12