↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Alarm problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
abomb1969

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Santorini Black
Alarm problem
My 98 TD5 LR alarm has been beefed up by the previous owner by a Toad ai600. The two alarms seem to be happy to cohabit and both work. The LR alarm seems very keen to alarm, despite me not activating it. When I got the car I was told just to use the Toad.

I get in the car, although I have not set the LR alarm (which I don't want to use) and press the Toad unlock button the dash lights come on with the key.

The Toad alarm seems to work by pressing the button to disable, then opening the door, then you get in and have to unlock again to get the immobiliser working.

The flashing engine symbol with a slash through it then comes on, and 3 seconds later the LR alarm beeps twice. Pressing the unlock on the LR fob allows you to start and the engine symbol light goes out.

When I unlock the LR alarm with the fob there is no beep or lights, when I arm it it flashes the indicators 3 times I think.

In summary, Toad alarm working, LR one fecked. I suspect I will have to get an alarm installation place to sort it. My wife is shortly going to murder me as its cheesing her off.

Update. Now looked at this in a bit more detail. The LR alarm speedo red light goes out when you disable the LR alarm. When I activate the Toad alarm, the LR speedo red light stays off. I walk away and come back and 2 minutes later the light is flashing! When I open the door the red light goes steady, when I unlock the Toad the light starts flashing and when I put the keys in the ignition I have to unlock the LR alarm to disable it.
Post #94371 15th Oct 2011 4:34pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Sounds to me like there is a conflict with the two alarms wired in tandem. I would suggest removing the Land Rover one in total if you are content with the Toad, then at least 'electrically' you will be 'on a level playing field' metaphorically speaking...

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #94378 15th Oct 2011 6:09pm
abomb1969

If I get the EAK code I can disable the LR alarm. However disabling the Toad without a key works in the same way!

Turn ignition key to position 2 and hold for 5 seconds, then turn off.

Open and close drivers door.

Turn ignition key on and off the same number of times as the first number in your code.

Turn ignition key to on and off the same number of times as the second number in your code.

Repeat for the last 2 numbers of the code then the alarm and immobiliser will be disarmed once the door has been closed for the final time and the landy will start.
Post #94385 15th Oct 2011 6:47pm
abomb1969

Cracked it. The LR fob has a transponder in it that has to be within a few inches of the ignition barrel when you start it.

I had taken the fob off and put it in the cubby tray as it is a pain in the arse to have on the keyring. I could tape it to the inside of the steering column shroud, but if the LR ever gets nicked the ins co might ask to see the keys so I am probably going to live with it. The exact same problem had happened to my wife once or twice with it on the keyring as well which was a bit strange.

Thanks for the help!
Post #94413 15th Oct 2011 8:30pm
Lorryman100

It is possible to completely disable the LR alarm, 10AS unit. A good independent can do this for you or if you know someone with a nanocom you can disable the passive immobiliser so you wont need to keep the LR key fob handy.
Also the EKA code is only valid for one ignition cycle.

Brian.
Post #95132 20th Oct 2011 1:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1