↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > OBD2 scanner educate me please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ibexman

United Kingdom 
OBD2 scanner educate me please
I’m looking for a good all round OBD2 scanner / code reader for the family vehicles we have
VW golf 19 reg
Yeti 14
Fiesta18
Yaris 11
Mercedes A 16
Are the budget obd2 any good thanks
Best regards Chris
Post #980916 2nd Feb 2023 7:53am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Most car makers conform to a standard (ancient) OBD/OBD2 protocol that makes you read standard codes. ALL however have added their own language that require specific readers.

Under the 'right to repair' legislation some companies have extracted the coding and made 3rd party scanners. The professional kits combine several makes, but are not affordable for the DIY mechanic and require licensing etc

We know the LR readers or at least they are discussed in depth on this forum. For other cars I owned I have not been terribly successful with brand specific readers. Typically they cost around GBP 500 and only cover that one brand.

The standard OBD/OBD2 readers are cheap and give you something for quick diagnostics (logged codes on misfires and O2 sensors etc). Probably not worth spending more than GBP 100
Post #980918 2nd Feb 2023 8:10am
Tommybahama32

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Like most things scanners have become much cheaper now. As has been said some professional scanners require a subscription, but there are many simple code readers and more advanced tools. I have a Topdon device that not only reads DTC but has other functions and works on multiple vehicles. I recently did a forced region on a Kia, replaced rear brake pads with electronic hand brake on the Kia, and also on a Mercedes c class. It all depends how much you want to pay, but Topdon do various devices that cater for DIY all the way to fully directional tools, well worth a look.
Post #980919 2nd Feb 2023 8:23am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
For general use across a range of vehicles I use one of these:

https://www.launchtech.co.uk/enthusiast-di...fessional/

It has been very satisfactory, it includes enduring free updates, and it has served me well on LR, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and VAG vehicles. It does most of the "normal" service-type operations (reading and clearing fault codes, resetting service interval flags, etc) but does not do some of the esoteric and vehicle-specific stuff. For that I use Nanocom and/or IID for the Landrovers in the fleet, and bespoke tools for others (eg Ross-Tech VCDS for VAG).
Post #980942 2nd Feb 2023 12:20pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Your best bet if you don't want to spend a small fortune on a pro-grade reader would probably be bluetooth reader device paired with some marque specific OBD apps on a phone/tablet. For example Forscan for the Ford. You would need to do some research to find out which apps are good for which marques though and they probably aren't free. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #980944 2nd Feb 2023 12:28pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
This might be helpful and is only a couple of months old
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/car-access...i-scanners TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #980950 2nd Feb 2023 12:46pm
TomB8

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
As others have said, it depends what you want to do and what you want to spend.

I have an icarsoft for my range rover that was gifted to me. It works ok and allows reading codes from the gearbox and various other car specific modules. I believe they make a reasonably priced version that covers many makes.

However, if you just want basic engine codes and logging of engine sensors the elm327 based Bluetooth or WiFi modules are great with an app like torque (if you're and android user). They are about £5 on alliexpress, but also available on eBay and Amazon for a few quid more if you don't want to wait for shipping. I keep one in each car in case a light pops up and I need to know if a sensor is on the blink or if I need a recovery truck.
Post #982405 14th Feb 2023 9:38am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
^^^^ +1, I've got Torque and a cheapo ELM327.

OBD doesn't work on Td5's (think it does on Pumas) but in my VW transporter it gives me loads of info, and I can reset error lights (like my EGR that comes on and off when it feels like).

You get some fancy displays too so you can play at 0-60 times and see how much % your throttle is being pressed etc.
Post #982410 14th Feb 2023 10:03am
glpinxit

United Kingdom 
I keep a bluetooth OBD reader in the cubby box and use an app on my iphone called 'car scanner'. The app has info for many cars but I've only used it with my Puma 2.2. It seems good with code reading and clearing the mil light (egr issues last year). I've never really explored the instruments and displays that it also does. Cheers, Guy.
Post #985687 15th Mar 2023 9:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1