Home > Site News & Feedback > Adding Likes etc to the site
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tooth_dr

Northern Ireland 
Adding Likes etc to the site
Hi
Would it be possible to add an option to give likes to posts. I really like seeing some images posted on here but dont necessarily want to post a reply but would like to acknowledge that I like what someone took time to post.

Also it doesnt seem possible to quote the last post in a thread.

Would it be possible to have these things looked at?
Post #980618 31st Jan 2023 10:48am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Previous response regarding likes: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53652.html

I feel we don't need to clone other social media and end up with posts made in order to get the most likes. Add a quick reply, an emoji and make your reply personal Smile

For the quote last post: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22837.html

It's removed as you don't generally need to repeat what's just been said - the forum is shown in chronological order, so a reply sits below previous posts and this is visible as part of the 'flow'.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #980630 31st Jan 2023 12:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Martin wrote:
... It's removed as you don't generally need to repeat what's just been said ...

It is very easy to quote a specific and relevant part of the immediately-preceding post if it is necessary, and Martin's savvy removal of the button discourages people from endlessly and needlessly repeating other people's posts. It was an excellent innovation!

If there was a way to prevent quoting of a post from including all the photos in the quoted post that would also be a great innovation - it is tedious when someone has posted a load of pictures and the same pictures then get repeatedly reproduced!
Post #980644 31st Jan 2023 1:17pm
tooth_dr

Northern Ireland 
Re: Adding Likes etc to the site
Martin wrote:
It's removed as you don't generally need to repeat what's just been said - the forum is shown in chronological order, so a reply sits below previous posts and this is visible as part of the 'flow'.

I still think it would be easier if you were allowed to make that choice yourself, it's the only forum I'm come across in many years that doesnt allow this Shocked

Martin wrote:
I feel we don't need to clone other social media and end up with posts made in order to get the most likes. Add a quick reply, an emoji and make your reply personal Smile

Again point noted, however if I see a photo or post a few pages back, I'm not necessarily wanting to quote it and reply out of sync with the thread, just to say 'nice photo Whistle' It's not cloning other sites or social media, it's just whats done isnt it? It's a form of feedback and appraisal.

Otherwise great site, I do appreciate the opportunity to use it and I enjoy sharing information with all the other ND owners.

Cheers!
Adam.
Post #980648 31st Jan 2023 1:35pm
Martin
Site Admin

Over 18 years' of experience with the forums shows that when the last post quote button was in place, it was used lazily as a reply button, leading to huge embedded quotes, and a mess!

The forum is definitely tidier and easier to read with it like this. Mr. Green  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #980652 31st Jan 2023 1:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tooth_dr

Northern Ireland 
Martin wrote:
Over 18 years' of experience with the forums shows that when the last post quote button was in place, it was used lazily as a reply button, leading to huge embedded quotes, and a mess!

The forum is definitely tidier and easier to read with it like this.

👍🏼
Post #980653 31st Jan 2023 1:54pm
Martin
Site Admin

Rolling with laughter  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #980656 31st Jan 2023 1:58pm
tooth_dr

Northern Ireland 
Only messing Martin, I will abide by the rules as I like the forum (and dont want a ban!)

Thanks again
Adam.
Post #980659 31st Jan 2023 2:10pm
Martin
Site Admin

You'll have to do a lot worse than that Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #980660 31st Jan 2023 2:13pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Adding Likes etc to the site
tooth_dr wrote:
... I still think it would be easier if you were allowed to make that choice yourself, it's the only forum I'm come across in many years that doesnt allow this ...

You absolutely do get the choice yourself, no-one is stopping you from quoting the previous post. It is marginally more involved to do it, and this in turns means that you only do it if it worthwhile. That is to everyone's benefit!

This may be the only forum you've come across with this policy - I would argue that this, as well as a few other admirable characteristics, makes it the most sensible, civilised and best forum that you have come across. Very Happy
Post #980669 31st Jan 2023 3:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1