Home > INEOS Grenadier > Just got my letter - anyone want a Grenadier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Just got my letter - anyone want a Grenadier
So I put a deposit a few months ago.

Just had the email saying it's time to finalise my spec, and go into production.

My belief is that Ineos are letting me have the vehicle for the price I agreed at the time of deposit, and they have gone up a bit since...

I'm not going ahead, for a few reasons.

Anyone want it??? Happy to do a deal... Can meet at the Dealer (Carlisle) on pickup day and you can have a pre-reg car at a few grand discount? ...and beat the queue.

Click image to enlarge
 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #1002006 27th Jul 2023 3:16pm
MartinK

Cancelled my order this morning.

When cancelling, you have a box to type in your reasons.

I said that I think they have made a bad choice on using the BMW engines. A commercial based power unit (like the one in my Ducato with a 9-sp auto box) would be cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain, easier to maintain, have (arguably) a better duty cycle, and better MPG. I just felt the BMW engine felt like a car engine, and not a commercial grade engine (not a manly 4x4 engine). It felt "thrashy". Just IMO. The vehicle (admittedly petrol) i test-drove managed just 22 mpg. Driving like miss daisy following the lorries at 56mph... 22mpg. You could not drive slower and maintain top gear (the auto box changes down).

Sad really, I really wanted to buy one. I love the concept. But now I'll probably get an auto box from Ashcroft in my Defender Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #1002058 28th Jul 2023 7:03am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Interesting. Presumably it's down to emissions? > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #1002062 28th Jul 2023 8:39am
kenzle8a

Has anyone done a subjective comparison driving it back to back with the equivalent x3 or x5?

I know the cars are 100% for different things but the it would be interesting to see how the weight and drive train have such an effect
Post #1002066 28th Jul 2023 9:10am
MartinK

It does look as tho the Grenadier gets much worse MPG than the same engine/drivetrain in the X5... but as you would expect as the Grenadier is heavier and less aerodynamic...? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #1002074 28th Jul 2023 9:58am
Jim1988

United Kingdom 
My 2018 X3 30d averaged 32MPG over the 60 thousand miles I did in it.
Now have a 2023 X3 M40i that’s averaging 28mpg over the 4 thousand miles I’ve done so far.

Sorry can’t help with the MPG the grenadier is getting. But that’s my experience with the same engines.
Post #1002132 29th Jul 2023 6:34am
MartinK

On the FB group, real life MPG for the diesel seems to be around 25mpg... Considerably worse than my 2011 2.4 TDCI Defender. Plus of course there's a tenner in AdBlu every 2500 miles...
It would make my trips to Scotland considerably more expensive
My 2.3 9sp auto Ducato weights more and does 35mpg Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #1002142 29th Jul 2023 9:23am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
MartinK wrote:
It does look as tho the Grenadier gets much worse MPG than the same engine/drivetrain in the X5... but as you would expect as the Grenadier is heavier and less aerodynamic...?

Can’t stop thinking of this when people mention MPG in these and Defenders Whistle

Post #1002197 29th Jul 2023 7:32pm
The Gribbin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Caledonian Blue
MartinK wrote:
Cancelled my order this morning.

When cancelling, you have a box to type in your reasons.

I said that I think they have made a bad choice on using the BMW engines. A commercial based power unit (like the one in my Ducato with a 9-sp auto box) would be cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain, easier to maintain, have (arguably) a better duty cycle, and better MPG. I just felt the BMW engine felt like a car engine, and not a commercial grade engine (not a manly 4x4 engine). It felt "thrashy". Just IMO. The vehicle (admittedly petrol) i test-drove managed just 22 mpg. Driving like miss daisy following the lorries at 56mph... 22mpg. You could not drive slower and maintain top gear (the auto box changes down).

Sad really, I really wanted to buy one. I love the concept. But now I'll probably get an auto box from Ashcroft in my Defender Smile

Best thing I have done to my Defender - Ashcrofts know what they're doing... shame they used mild steel brackets on the oil cooler, without painting them!
Post #1002277 30th Jul 2023 1:19pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Do you have a Puma Gribbin? If so, which engine? I'm thinking of an auto upgrade but am sort of wondering how the Ashcroft 4-speed auto mates with a Puma 2.4? Fine, I'm sure, on A Roads and Motorways, but I live in the Alps and a lot of my driving is up/down fairly steep roads. I'm wondering whether dropping from six to four gears will become problematic and not offer enough variance in gearing? Any thoughts? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #1002343 31st Jul 2023 6:39am
The Gribbin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Caledonian Blue
I've got a TD5, so not sure about the 6 speed... Dave at Ashcrofts is your man Bow down , and there's some good info on their website.

I guess you need to compare ratios on the gears you use the most... as I understand it the ratios on the Puma are quite close?

To keep the 6th gear ratio you could go for a transfer box ratio change... I've got a 1.2:1 as opposed to 1.4 standard, and that has made for a much calmer cruise on the A roads.

I also went for a slightly larger torque converter, which should make better use of the slight tune I have on the TD5.

Dave has an Puma auto demonstrator, so you can try before you buy Thumbs Up ... not too many mountains in Bedfordshire though!?
Post #1002368 31st Jul 2023 10:17am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
lord-haggis wrote:
Has anyone done a subjective comparison driving it back to back with the equivalent x3 or x5?

I know the cars are 100% for different things but the it would be interesting to see how the weight and drive train have such an effect

Not really fair but in my X545e on a dead flat battery I can achieve 32mpg at 80mph / 38mpg at 65mph. So 40mpg at 55mph would be possible.
Post #1002405 31st Jul 2023 2:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1