↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > HELP!! R380 Mainshaft Support Bearing Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
BajanRover

1995 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Alaska White
This makes sense, I'll will execute and update accordingly.
Post #991498 4th May 2023 6:47pm
BajanRover

Dinnu wrote:
Before putting the engine back, do the following:

A. Put a straight edge over the pressure plate, and measure the distance from the straight edge to the engine bellhousing. Do this at various positions, so you can calculate an average with high confidence level.

B. Put a straight edge over the gearbox bellhousing and measure the distance from the striaght edge to the clutch fork, where the metal reinforcing tab is welded.

If value from A is less than the value from B, then there is clearance, and can install the engine.
If value from B is less than or equal the value from A, then there is interference, and would be better to find why B is less than A.

I know this might be a stupid question but the pressure plate and clutch must be bolted onto the engine before I conduct the measurements yes? I know this is dumb to ask but I have never done this before and I am trying to minimize removing the engine over and over again lol.
Post #991500 4th May 2023 6:49pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Yes, ensure you align the friction plate perfectly centered on the flywheel, else you will not be able to mate the engine back to the gearbox. There are special tools for the job, but a pipe that fits snugly in the spigot bush, and the friction plate splines will the the job. If you do not have a pipe that fits snugly, you can make a smaller diameter pipe fit snugly with a couple turns of painters masking tape. Here is how I did mine, fiction plate and pressure plate not shown.

Click image to enlarge

If you have the correct tool, then ignore the above Thumbs Up 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #991505 4th May 2023 7:23pm
BajanRover

Ok thanks Dinnu Bow down
Post #991512 4th May 2023 7:44pm
BajanRover

Dinnu wrote:
Before putting the engine back, do the following:

A. Put a straight edge over the pressure plate, and measure the distance from the straight edge to the engine bellhousing. Do this at various positions, so you can calculate an average with high confidence level.

B. Put a straight edge over the gearbox bellhousing and measure the distance from the straight edge to the clutch fork, where the metal reinforcing tab is welded.

If value from A is less than the value from B, then there is clearance, and can install the engine.
If value from B is less than or equal the value from A, then there is interference, and would be better to find why B is less than A.

Update... I did as you advised and here are the measurements;

Measurements for A are roughly 37mm while the measurements for B are 52mm which to me implies I have about 15mm of clearance between the pressure plate and the clutch fork.
Post #991525 4th May 2023 9:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12