↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Steering Issue - Drag Link Ball Joint?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CalumD23

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Tamar Blue
Steering Issue - Drag Link Ball Joint?
Towards the end of a 400 mile journey at the weekend, my 2013 Defender 90 lost the ability to steer at low speeds. This is particularly difficult to turn right, but turning left isn't much easier. It takes a considerable amount of strength to turn at low speeds now and thus I am keen to get it fixed ASAP.

Having scoured my Haynes manual and Youtube, I set about under the vehicle to figure it out and I have found the following:

No loss of power steering fluid.

Drag Link Ball Joint - seal is broken and was hanging off - it is now completely off.
Ball joint seal on front left hand wheel is fine, no issues.
Top of Drop Arm where it connects to the steering box - this was absolutely filthy and caked in mud. Is this a ball and socket joint, where the mud could be causing the issue? Or just a red herring?

Could this broken seal be causing the steering problem? Or is this just something else I've discovered while looking for the main issue?

If this is likely to be causing the problem, is it as simple as replacing the balljoint and seal? And giving the bottom of the drop arm a clean?

I've attached photos that shows the lack of seal on the drag link balljoint, and the top of the drop arm. Please let me know what you think.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #980590 31st Jan 2023 12:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That balljoint is very bad and needs replacing asap (technically unroadworthy in the UK) but I'd be surprised it has the effect you describe, which sounds more like some kind of PAS failure.

As a test you could try squirting some oil into the balljoint to see if it makes a difference.
Post #980592 31st Jan 2023 12:20am
CalumD23

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Tamar Blue
Thanks for the reply - I will be taking it in to a garage tomorrow.

I agree - having done a bit more research it looks like my steering box has sprung a leak / needs replacing. This explains the state of the top of the drop arm - not just muddy but congealed fluid. Could be more expensive than I anticipated...

Earlier I put some oil in the ball joint and it made no difference, which answers the question as to whether that is the main issue.
Post #980593 31st Jan 2023 12:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1