↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Media question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Media question
The Defender connects instantly with my Apple phone and Google Maps works perfectly.

However, l can't figure out how to get the phone apps on the media screen so l can use them.
For example Spotify.

Can anyone tell me how to use this feature?
Post #979473 23rd Jan 2023 8:50pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
What do you mean by media screen? CarPlay apps can only be used on the main PiviPro screen on the dash, not on the instrument display.

To open the likes of Spotify or any other app on it you just press the CarPlay symbol and you get the menu with them all. Might have to swipe through to find what you want though, you can adjust the order of apps in the settings on your phone.
Post #979492 23rd Jan 2023 9:48pm
WizzardPrang

England 
On the PiviPro screen, tap the CarPlay icon then the Tile icon (bottom right of the screen), that will display all the iPhone Apps accessible via CarPlay. You can also use Spotify directly through PiviPro's media source screen but you have to link your Spotify account to InControl first.

PowerfulUK did a couple of videos on getting CarPlay to work https://youtu.be/J6Lpo-MPp_U

HTH Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #979493 23rd Jan 2023 9:48pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Which is the Carplay icon?

Click image to enlarge
Post #979526 24th Jan 2023 10:53am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #979538 24th Jan 2023 12:06pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Ah yes thank you!

That brings up google maps but then press the button in the corner and it comes up.

Click image to enlarge
Post #979555 24th Jan 2023 1:27pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
It only brings up Google maps as that was probably the last app you were using in Apple Carplay Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #979589 24th Jan 2023 3:42pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Siri works well with it Thumbs Up
Post #979612 24th Jan 2023 5:55pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l still feel a bit of an idiot talking to the car, but l've tried Siri only to change radio stations and she doesn't seem to know what it is l am asking
Post #979629 24th Jan 2023 7:19pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’ve not used Siri much as I generally refuse to talk to a car, though I do admit it’s quite handy for replying to WhatsApp messages and the like. The whole lot took quite a bit of getting used to, there wasn’t much in the way of mapping and media technology in the old 200Tdi!
Post #979637 24th Jan 2023 8:05pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Siri won’t work on the radio or any of the functions on the pivi pro. Just think of CarPlay as an extension of your phone screen so it will only be able to control apps you’ve got on your phone.

Also, unless you setup Siri Shortcuts, you also won’t be able to control BBC sounds app which is a faff.

BUT if you wanted to setup Alexa, you can pretty much control anything on the Pivi system including Spotify…. But not your phone. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #979638 24th Jan 2023 8:05pm
J77

Scotland 
lightning wrote:
l still feel a bit of an idiot talking to the car, but l've tried Siri only to change radio stations and she doesn't seem to know what it is l am asking

Try it with a Scottish accent Laughing 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #979650 24th Jan 2023 9:23pm
Moo

Ukraine 
To clarify, I use Siri to control my phone Apps like maps, phone, Spotify, messages and BBC Sounds.

I've not tried Alexa.
Post #979657 24th Jan 2023 10:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Not all Apps are compatible with CarPlay. (Paid subscription £12PA approx TomTom Go App is my favoured Nav app - the best that I have used).

That being said, if* there is a HDMI input, you can add Apple TV to mirror link the smartphone screen completely.
The only issue is the power supply, I converted mine from 240v to 5v USB supply.
But it’s an older Apple TV unit which may not be compatible much longer but is for now, the newer ones you’d probably have to use a small 12v to 240v inverter the current draw is very very little.

That will then allow you a mirror link on screen, an identical copy of the phone screen on the head unit with ANY App or video source etc.

The drawbacks are, A, head must have HDMI input, or use a hdmi to AV converter if it accepts RCA Video input. B, screen interface won’t work only phone interface so legally only usable stationary.
I wouldn’t recommend using mirror link for anything other than stationary use - as GUI on screen won’t work an obviously you cannot use phone or visual on screen video whilst driving by law.
Stick to Car play sat nav whilst driving.

The mirror link is ideal if you want to “jail break” the system for example you can watch YouTube via phone App displayed on head screen and audio system.
On mine I have digital TV plus Apple mirror link also, it has AV RCA input so also has a HDMI to AV RCA converter, plus HDMI switch and remote due to having to select input.
Only of course for use when safely parked but works well.

My head unit has AV RCA input only and not HDMI (I’m not talking about in a New Def here).
Some HU’s especially 2DIN have 1x HDMI input only, which is a slight increase in quality but all the same if you have two HDMI devices you’d still need a switching unit.

Does the new Def have RCA AV input(s) or HDMI input? (Presumably to the rear).
Or is it using Carplay via USB or Bluetooth only?

If the new ones have AV input or HDMI input the Apple Car play units are something you can think about but there is plenty involved with it and an aftermarket head unit may have more functionality and the new Def GUI probably cannot just simply be swapped over due to other functions etc.

I know the system works on mine perfectly, but I haven’t quite finished my build completely (delays covid etc Rolling Eyes ) just yet to enjoy it if I want to - this spring hopefully.

Though mines a Puma Def, I’m always interested to know what system the new ones do have.

One issue will be is tech will modernise faster than the rate of which the hardware will adapt, up to now adaptability has been not too much of an issue but as it gets more and more complicated and associated hardware then adapting it and “future proofing” may become harder and more and more costly.
But if the companies don’t adapt then the lack of sales will push them along.

CarPlay works superbly, just a shame it limited to only certain Apps and functions but that purely to stupid proof so that people don’t watch videos or text etc whilst driving and then crash.
It’s a pity they don’t allow it whilst detected via GPS speed / stationary and turn off those other functions leaving only Car Play active when say in excess of detected 1mph by GPS though GPS signal is missing in certain areas or tunnel etc though there is parking / hand brake sense anyway possible.

I guess the main factor is the companies keep these things off to prevent them being sued, especially in the era of common sense being not so common any more.

More functionality is possible, but GUI use and visual use with mirroring / mirror link aren’t ideally compatible in a vehicle unless stationary.

Does the new Def system interface allow for more functionality with handbrake applied and stationary or is it the same with CarPlay whether in motion or parked?
I cannot see any reason why more Apps shouldn’t be available when parked safely, though I suppose people would then abuse that waiting at traffic lights instead. Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #979664 24th Jan 2023 11:40pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
Go into Pivi then apps , Spotify is there,download it and log in with your account. 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #979668 25th Jan 2023 12:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>