↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma interior to td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PCM

United Kingdom 
Puma interior to td5
Tdci is being sold as I’ve no more bits to do to it.
Keeping my td5 110 as the drive is awesome.

What I do want to do is add puma 2nd row seats to it as the td5 ones are uncomfortable and not as safe. I have sourced the seats and fixing plates off the dreaded bay. Yrm do a chassis kit to mount them.

But…
I need to change the seatbelts and therefore the interior window trim to one with a slot.
Does the tdci trim fit exactly into a td5?

I’m already a couple of grand into this and have just a pile of bits so any potential other issues I may find please let me know.

Cheers
Pcm
Post #979067 21st Jan 2023 8:42am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I tried to do this the other way around (fit TD5 trim into a Puma as it's much less bulky) and the only obstacle was the position of the seat belt mounts. That stopped me from proceeding as I obviously didn't want to change those for my application. For you though, if you're happy to change the seat belts to suit then apart from drilling a few mounting holes, it should be a straightforward swap. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #979080 21st Jan 2023 9:59am
PCM

United Kingdom 
Darren
Possibly a silly question. But is there any physical or safety reason I can't keep the original TD5 seabelts and TD5 interior window surrounds but replace just the seats.
Post #979729 25th Jan 2023 1:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

I suspect the TD5 seat belts might be a bit low for use with the Puma seats, unfortunately. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #979796 25th Jan 2023 9:23pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I’ll measure the height tomorrow.
I was thinking the td5 seatbelt bulge may be too much for the puma seats, but think the puma one is just as bulky but just one depth.

TD5 one looks quite high tbh.

Click image to enlarge
Post #979810 25th Jan 2023 10:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hmm, not sure now, seeing that. You might get away with it. The only way to be sure will be to give it a try, I guess.

For comparison, here's a shot of the same area in mine:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #979969 27th Jan 2023 7:56am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
The difference I thought between the two, was that the Td5 was lap belt only for middle seat, tdci was three point seat.
Post #979971 27th Jan 2023 8:07am
LandRoverAnorak

Yes, that's a difference too, but the mountings for the upper seat belts are also different. Darren

Post #979977 27th Jan 2023 8:26am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
The double cab pickup has a different seatbelt arrangement, where the spool is mounted low on the floor and at the top is just the lug guide thingy (or whatever your call it).

You would have to somehow adjust the cover, but technically/safety wise this is an acceptable solution.
Post #979980 27th Jan 2023 8:43am
LandRoverAnorak

Whilst I wouldn't say that that can't be done, I'd expect there to be a fair degree of fabrication to switch to the double cab setup, as the floor area under the seats is very different to a station wagon.

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I tried to do this the other way around (fit TD5 trim into a Puma as it's much less bulky) and the only obstacle was the position of the seat belt mounts. That stopped me from proceeding as I obviously didn't want to change those for my application. For you though, if you're happy to change the seat belts to suit then apart from drilling a few mounting holes, it should be a straightforward swap.

Looking at the pictures again, I remember now that the obstacle that prevented me making the change in the other direction was the position of the real part of the seat belt. In the Puma, that's been moved lower down and I think with a lower profile to accommodate the larger seats. The TD5 trim wouldn't fit over this revised position and it wasn't practical to adapt it to suit, which will of course, be the same problem in the other direction. Without seeing the parts side by side, I don't know whether it'd just be a case of re-positioning the real on a different bracket or whether the whole thing is a different part. I guess comparison of the relevant parts diagrams would give a good idea. Darren

Post #979993 27th Jan 2023 9:33am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LRA wrote:
...the floor area under the seats is very different to a station wagon. ...

It is different, but I don't think it is very different. It has fixed brackets for the seats rather than the ones which fold flat, and the inertia reels are fitted to the base of the C-post, but that aside to the best of my belief the other salient features are the same. The Puma DC seats are the same as the SW seats but with a modification to the seat back angle (a sensible feature to deter the kids from coming with you by making the seats extremely uncomfortable) and there are pointless brackets fixing the seat-backs to the bulkhead (which can be dispensed with).

Do the TD5 seatbelt tongues fit the Puma receivers, I wonder?

I have long felt that it was both extraordinary and reprehensible that LR continue to fit second row seats without head restraints in a vehicle for so long after the rest of the world have progressed. If I had kids/family I would be extremely reluctant to transport them under modern road conditions in seats with no neck protection. The Puma seats (first and second row) are vastly superior IMO.
Post #980003 27th Jan 2023 10:46am
PCM

United Kingdom 
I've meadured the height from base to seabelt reel on a puma at 90cm. the td5 measured at 88.5 so 1.5cm lower.
There is also hopefully enought clearance between the actual seats and the seabelt bulge as the puma sides arte one continual vertical, whereas the td5 is a bulge.
The end of the seatbelts @look@ the same on the td5 to puma but i'm going to get a vernier out just in case there is a bit of difference and theey open under load.

The puma middle seat belt is intergrated into the seats so that's the simplest.

The kit for underneath i'm getting from YRM. needs a bit of fettling but at least i know it'll be done safely.

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/2nd-row-seat-c...or-5-door/
I've sourced a set of seats already.
Post #980009 27th Jan 2023 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1