Home > Puma (Tdci) > Body Construction
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Body Construction
Hi All,

I am trying to understand materials used in the construction of the body on my 110. Is the whole body made of Steel, is it a combination of both steel and aluminium?

I could probably work it out with a magnet, but I don't want to go around every part of the car to test if it is magnetic or not Shocked

Thanks in Advance
Kieren
Post #996340 15th Jun 2023 9:06am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Its a mix, but the panels are aluminum. The bulkhead is steel so are the B-pillars and the sills. If you are new to defenders it will take a bit of time to learn the anatomy and it helps if you occasionally take them apart, which over time becomes part of the ownership and a bonding ritual.

So yes the bodies do rust both the steel and aluminum but in my experience this is mainly because people don't clean them (working vehicles blabla) so mud and salt build up with causes dissimilar metal issues (galvanic).

If you want to keep your car nice HP wash the underside and wheel arches regularly, even better sprays some wax.

There is a lot of information available here about how to preserve your defender.
Post #996344 15th Jun 2023 9:40am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Not sure what the reason is you are wanting to know, i.e. what you are trying to do.

The majority is an aluminium-magnesium alloy called Birmabright. Some steel is used for reinforcement or for things like door frames. The main front bulkhead is steel, although the bulkhead behind the front seats and seat boxes should be Birmabright.

As a rule Birmabright is quite durable to the elements, although it can suffer corrosion through electrolysis.
Post #996346 15th Jun 2023 10:13am
camelman

United Kingdom 
The doors (frames and panels) are all steel on the puma as well. 
Post #996350 15th Jun 2023 10:23am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks all, really useful info.

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Not sure what the reason is you are wanting to know, i.e. what you are trying to do.

I have a cutout in the rear wheelarch for a leisure battery - it is ropey as Censored so I am looking to get a new one made up, its held in place with rivets and sealant so I was looking at having the fabrication shop who will remake it weld it into the wheel arch for a more "OEM" feel and stronger join. I was trying to work out the material so I know whether it would need MIG or TIG.

Figured I would ask the question more generically so I could understand the make-up of the defenders body.
Post #996355 15th Jun 2023 10:37am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
The majority is an aluminium-magnesium alloy called Birmabright. Some steel is used for reinforcement or for things like door frames. The main front bulkhead is steel, although the bulkhead behind the front seats and seat boxes should be Birmabright.

It hasn't been Birmabright since 1980 unfortunately, when the company that made it went bust. I don't know the name of the stuff used since, and I think even that has changed over the years, but it's never been as good as Birmabright was.

For the OP, for your age of Defender, all of the main fixed body panels are aluminium (or some alloy of) whilst the doors, bonnet and bulkhead are steel and the rad grill frame is plastic. The cappings on the tops of the lower rear body panels are also steel, as are the roof gutters. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #996532 16th Jun 2023 9:08pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks LRA, would the wheel arch boxes be pure aluminium then?
Post #996537 16th Jun 2023 9:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

Essentially yes, although there are various steel brackets underneath. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #996543 16th Jun 2023 10:12pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thank you. It’s the arch itself I am interested in, as I needed to know what material to have a box for my leisure battery made out of.

If the wheel arch is aluminium I think I’ll get the box mad out of the same.

Click image to enlarge

This is the existing one but the construction is shoddy, to say the least, so I am getting a new one made up to a higher standard by a fabricator, and then will replace this one with the new one. I’ll obviously move the ventilation holes up and have them on the side as the ones in the current box are below the wade limit.
Post #996549 16th Jun 2023 10:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, aluminium will be fine. If the holes are actually for ventilation then they should be in or near the bottom, as the gasses from battery charging are heavier than air. I can't tell from the picture but check to see if your battery will accept a vent tube that can be routed down through a grommet. Take a look at the vehicle main battery for inspiration.

I'd also look at incorporating a battery clamp and a rubber boot on the positive terminal. Darren

Post #996550 16th Jun 2023 11:27pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks LRA. I didn’t spot anything on the battery but will have another look. I guess what you are referring to is similar to the tube of an AGM battery?

I have been looking at battery trays but until the box is made, as I am changing the shape slightly, I won’t have dimensions. There is a clamp currently but it’s nothing more than a sheet of steel bolted through the box and positioned so it’s over the lip of the battery.

The rubber boot I will look into again, especially as the bed will go over the box so as minimal risk as possible is good, when I last looked I struggled due to the “splitter” on the terminal
Post #996560 17th Jun 2023 7:16am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Yeah, aluminium will be fine. If the holes are actually for ventilation then they should be in or near the bottom, as the gasses from battery charging are heavier than air. I can't tell from the picture but check to see if your battery will accept a vent tube that can be routed down through a grommet. Take a look at the vehicle main battery for inspiration.

I'd also look at incorporating a battery clamp and a rubber boot on the positive terminal.

Can I be cheeky please? do you have a link or an idea of somewhere where I could find a rubber boot to keep the positive terminal safe?

On a side note, can anyone recommend an externally venting leisure battery, so that i can have grommeted tube rather than holes in the bottom of my battery box?

TIA
Kieren
Post #996849 19th Jun 2023 2:13pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
...the gasses from battery charging are heavier than air...

Really? I thought the principle gassy byproduct was hydrogen, and that is what the Hindenburg was filled (which evidences both its buoyancy in air and its dangerous tendency to deflagrate spectacularly).

If the gasses are heavier than air, why don't they stay in the battery, given that the only holes in the case are at the top?

Very Happy
Post #996881 19th Jun 2023 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1