Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mantec Roof Bars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Mantec Roof Bars
I just came across these on Paddocks website, which I hadn't seen before:

I'm contemplating swapping my roof rack for roof bars and thought these looked really smart, but does anybody have a set and would care to comment on how good they are? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #94043 13th Oct 2011 4:54pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
These roof bars are a colloboration between Mantec and Boab.

Have been speaking to Chris from Boab over last few weeks about these. He was at our place today and I saw a couple on his 110 with a Foxwing attached. He also left some with us.

First impressions? Very favourable. Apparently rated to 100 kg.

Foxwing attaches to the brackets direct rather then the bar. Holes in place in bar for small, medium or large Maggiolina . Which also means the smaller roof tents can be mounted off centre.

The Foxwing is not 100% vertical as it can be mounted directly on to bracket. Whilst this slight out of vertical might appear wrong to those with a keen eye, there are other advantages including reduced risk of damage to Foxwing from trees etc, also if you are 'vertically challenged like myself it is easier to reach the zip on the Foxwing bag. The holes on the brackets also makes attaching CB aerials etc easier.

Rooftents can be fitted directly to bars off the vehicle

OK have not used them myself to date but those are my impressions.

I understand that plans are afoot for Discoveries as well

Cost will £85/bar available from your local friendly site sponsor. Razz

Please remember I might have a biased opinion or am I being straightforward, you decide!

Brendan

PS Thanks saves me starting a thread about them
Post #94102 13th Oct 2011 9:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks for the feedback, Brendan, They sound ideal for what I want, which is primarily to take my Ozpod. It's a shame because I really like my roof rack, but the 'pod won't fit without an awful lot of messing around. Ho hum.

Not that I wish to upset you, but have you seen the price for these things on Paddocks' website? Free delivery too.

On a vageuly related note, I notice you've got the new Oztent Tagalong tent on your website, but no prices. I'll be in the market for one to fit an RV4 in the new year and I'd be interested to know what you can do them for? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #94112 13th Oct 2011 10:03pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Darren, am not sure what to say here about prive. Are they same bar? I do not know. Have sent an email query off

You are right about the website, I will have to have a few words with Barbara.

We have the full range of Tagalongs in stock. The retail price for a tagalong for RV4 is £320

Brendan
Post #94117 13th Oct 2011 10:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

Excellent. Thanks for the tent price. I shall be in touch in the new year.

As for the bars, Paddocks are advertising Mantec roof bars for just under £60 each inc. VAT. Sorry Sad Darren

Post #94118 13th Oct 2011 10:46pm
KPNuts

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
We have had 3 of these bars for over 5 years, Mantec seamed to stop selling them for a couple of years but reintroduced them last year. We use them on our 300tdi, mostly with an Oz-Basket. They are strong, but a bit functional being folded and pressed steel. They have holes across the top for bolting/hooking through and because of their design extra holes can be drilled in the top/side as needed. Effectively the flat section is a U channel rather than a bar. For the Oz basket I drilled & tapped 3 aluminium bars which I put in the channel and bolt through another thin bar from above to secure the basket. In this way the basket can not be removed when the tent is secured into the basket.

We did not go with these for our Puma as fixing a roof tent would require the roof tent rails to be aligned to holes in the rail (and possibly extra ones drilling in the correct place. Using a clamp over the "bar" as normal would not work because of the U channel shape. We went with Rhino-Rack (on Brendans recommendation although bought directly from Boab) for our Puma.

My only criticism of the Mantec ones is they tend to cut into the paintwork of the gutter because of the design. Not a problem on our 15 year old 300tdi but on the Puma not something I wanted. I used them once on our Puma for a short distance and 1 year later can still see where they were fitted Sad

So a good strong "bar", but functional and may not be suited for securing in a "traditional" manner.

Flatdog also have then at just under £60 each inc. VAT with free delivery over £100 (UK).

Keith 2010 110 Utility Station Wagon
1996 110 Station Wagon
Post #94168 14th Oct 2011 9:12am
LandRoverAnorak

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the feedback. Don't suppose you could post a couple of close-up pictures, by any chance? The ones on the websites are all a bit small. Darren

Post #94175 14th Oct 2011 9:27am
leeds

United Kingdom 
KPNuts wrote:

We went with Rhino-Rack (on Brendans recommendation although bought directly from Boab) for our Puma.

Keith

Tut tut, naughty boy Keith!

Where is slapped bottom icon when you need it?

Brendan

PS Please remember that the gutters have mastic i which is then painted over. The feet of roof bars/racks cutting/digging marking the paint/mastic enables stability of the bracket leg. Hope that makes sense
Post #94178 14th Oct 2011 9:31am
KPNuts

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Don't suppose you could post a couple of close-up pictures, by any chance? The ones on the websites are all a bit small.

Here you are. Note that they come with standard hex rather than pin torx bolts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Channel shape

Click image to enlarge

leeds wrote:
Tut tut, naughty boy Keith!

It was just down to logistics. Happened to be passing by Boab just when I needed them Very Happy

leeds wrote:
Please remember that the gutters have mastic i which is then painted over. The feet of roof bars/racks cutting/digging marking the paint/mastic enables stability of the bracket leg. Hope that makes sense

The damage is on the outer face of the gutter rail due to the profile of the bracket (see the photos above (300Tdi) and below (puma))
Click image to enlarge

Keith 2010 110 Utility Station Wagon
1996 110 Station Wagon
Post #94382 15th Oct 2011 6:38pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Darren, have you noticed that the bars in the phhoto you have they are only placed on the roof and not clamped on?

Those bars are Mantec bars and not Manbo bars which I was referring to.

Manbo bars are available from either Boab or ourselves. There are subtle differences between the two sets of bars. If you drill the Mantec bars you are drilling the powder coating and hence possible rust problems

Keith are the brackets of your Mantec bars flat or slightly bent??

Brendan
Post #94417 15th Oct 2011 8:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks, Keith Thumbs Up

Looks like they will do just what I want. Darren

Post #94420 15th Oct 2011 9:13pm
LandRoverAnorak

leeds wrote:
Darren, have you noticed that the bars in the phhoto you have they are only placed on the roof and not clamped on?

Those bars are Mantec bars and not Manbo bars which I was referring to.

Manbo bars are available from either Boab or ourselves. There are subtle differences between the two sets of bars. If you drill the Mantec bars you are drilling the powder coating and hence possible rust problems

Ah, that probably explains the confusion then. It's definitely Mantec bars that I'm interested in. I guess 'Manbo' is the Mantec/Boab collaboration that you mentioned earlier?

Yes, I did realise that in that particular picture they aren't fixed on. That was just picked to illustrate what I was talking about. There are other pics on Mantecs' website that show the fixings, which are exactly the same as Keiths' ones. Darren

Post #94455 16th Oct 2011 12:38am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The damage is on the outer face of the gutter rail due to the profile of the bracket (see the photos above (300Tdi) and below (puma))
Click image to enlarge

Keith[/quote]

Couldn't that paint damage be avoided by using some thin rubber in between the clamp and roof gutter? something like 2mm rubber off of ebay cut to fit. Something like this maybe: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie..._500wt_715
Post #125638 21st Feb 2012 5:42pm
jayaway44

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Stornoway Grey
Can someone please tell me if the Mantec or the Mobo bars will accept a roof top box, a Halfrauds or Thule type of thing. The bars seem a lot thicker than a standard set of Thule roof bars so will the supplied brackets fit round?

Thanks 2.2 2012 110 utility Orkney Grey
Also
Range Rover Evoque - Surprising but I like it.
Previous
Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Black
90 TD5
Discovery 3
Early Discovery.
Post #155829 16th Jul 2012 8:01am
Dacke

Sweden 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Zambezi Silver
Roofbars
Hi from Sweden,

I did mount my mantec bars on the 90 to carry my Autohome Airtop tent. I have used the Thule bars since many years, they are made in Sweden after all...
Anyway, with Thule the tent gets too high up in my opinion and therefore bought the Mantec ones from Paddocks instead. The profile and fit is very good, and they are sturdy made.
As I also bought the special attachment screws from Boab, even if a cost incl. freight was 35 € Big Cry it was easy to mount the tent after drilling one new hole in each bar, I also put some rust protection on after drilling.

The screws that comes with the bars have a very poor rust protection, get new ones in stainless.

You also need to find some kind of rubber or plastic to protect the paint work, compared to Thule bars they damage the paintwork a lot more, specially under the foot, there the paint will definitely crack if no protection is put on. Thule bars have a powder coating that feels like rubber and works very well. If Mantec would use that as well it would be really great product.

All the best
Boris
Post #156022 16th Jul 2012 10:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>