Home > General & Technical (L663) > Engines D200 D240 D250 D300
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Engines D200 D240 D250 D300
Here I am again, with more questions.

After reading thro various threads over the past few days and speaking to a dealership it is confirmed that production has indeed sped up, but at what cost ? It seems there are several orders being cancelled due to items being retracted from the build spec, so leaving that aside !

I’ve learnt this afternoon as I’m about to drop a deposit on a D240 110 with the larger screen, IDD, air suspension, clear view, middle sun visor etc etc that it’s got a 2.0 engine, and that only the newest ones coming thro now have either the D250 3.0ltr or the D300 3.0ltr.

I’m guessing that there are plenty on here who have a 2.0ltr engine, my question is this.
Are they powerful enough. I know that 240bhp is a tad under 250bhp but I also know that a V6 drives stronger than a 4 pot engine.

Most importantly, are there any problems with the 2.0 that I need to be aware of ? The sales guy almost convinced me that the 2.0 was a better engine more suited to the Defender but I can’t quite believe that ? DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #977915 13th Jan 2023 8:16pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Someone who owns one should answer soon but

l've driven a customer's D240 110 and it drove really well, certainly no lack of power.
However my D250 3.0 definitely has the edge on it, mainly in terms of more torque.

Although the D240 is certainly not lacking. Take a test drive and see what you think.

Will you be selling your old Defender? l went from a 2005 110 SW to my L663 90 Hard Top
Post #977916 13th Jan 2023 8:23pm
chalky

Thanks, I will wait and see what others say. But I know what you mean re the 3.0 V6 it drives different and not only that it sounds different.

The old 90 XS CSW went a long time ago, I’ve had a D5 since. A Disco3 for almost 8 years and I’ve not managed to replace the utilitarian nature of a raw Defender with the practicality of the mighty D3.

I’m almost certain this is it and for the sake of a test drive I need to make sure I get the right engine.

Thanks DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #977917 13th Jan 2023 8:34pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I drove the 2.0 and 3.0 back to back after I ordered my 90 as a D200.
Needless to say I changed my build to a D250.
It’s an effortless drive, power and torque is superb.
The stop/start process is sublime.

I wanted to spend less…but I’m glad I didn’t.

Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #977918 13th Jan 2023 8:38pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Chalky..the 3.0 is a straight 6 Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #977919 13th Jan 2023 8:40pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I was blown away by the d250. In a 110 it has bags of power and speed, I wouldn’t want to go any faster in a car that big!
Post #977921 13th Jan 2023 8:58pm
chalky

Clemmo, Cheers. School boy error 😂
It’s been years since I’ve seen a straight 6 in anything.

That’s nailed the coffin lid firmly shut then.
3.0ltr D300 110. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #977929 13th Jan 2023 10:24pm
Simon-blue

United Kingdom 
I have a 5 week old D300 110 HSE X-Dynamic. What a car and engine fantastic, drive train so smooth. So quiet and suits our family so well.

I am coming from a Porsche Macan, its as good - although a different car. We tested M5, X5, A6, Q8 Cayenne and Panamera. The Defender the best for us - my wife loves it.

We have a 911 to go fast in, so slow and smooth is great. Defender brilliant all stuff specced came as order bar the USB's in back and passenger side.

My bro in law has an 1985 DEF 90 (rust and used) and loves our 100 - after saying its not really a Defender.
Post #977936 13th Jan 2023 11:10pm
cozz

I had a D200 90, lovely, replaced with a D300 110, soooooo much better, just great pick up for such a large 4x4 and lovely on long drives

engines have both been smooth and amazingly quiet
Post #977937 13th Jan 2023 11:20pm
chalky

Simon, I too have a 911, for going pretty Rapid, an Ariel Nomad for when I want to go well…. Mad !

I generally have a car for pootling about but I work away, So having cars laid up for extended periods doesn’t do them any good so I got rid my Dailly and use the wife’s car when I’m home. My job, work life balance is about to take a turn for the better so I’ve been thinking about this for a while, I was involved in the initial consultation over about 18 months for New Defender when it was being finalised and had a golden ticket for the pre release at the factory well the old factory but didn’t commit as I was transitioning thro a mid life crisis hence the 911 ! Working away and genuinely hated every colour in the spectrum so declined.

The job front should be final by next week. The mid life crisis car will be going as it’s been nothing but uneventful and to be honest everyone loves 911’s until they see them out on the road, with a wing on the deck lid and brightly coloured, then everyone turns into instant A holes.

The nomad on the other hand can only be described as crusty the clowns car or Brum as my son calls it.
Never fails get waves, all the kids know what it is because of Forza and everyone let’s you out at junctions, indicates left so you can pass and generally creates a great conversation starter especially at the petrol station.

So I’ll keep that one.

Bow down DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #977940 13th Jan 2023 11:50pm
haymeister

Japan 
I don't think you can get the D240 with the larger navigation screen?
That was introduced for the MY22 cars I believe and the D240 was discontinued and replaced with the I6 3 litre engines.

There's a few threads comparing the I4 D240 to the I6 D250 and they are quite different. The D240 not lacking power but certainly more thirsty and rev happy due to the torque band. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #977947 14th Jan 2023 3:53am
Moo

Ukraine 
Aren't there issues with the 240 with stretched cam chains and oil dilution? My daughter has it in her Discovery Sport and had the chain replaced at 34,000 miles and has been told she'll have to live with oil dilution, which means a change ever 6 months despite hot drives from Bath to salisbury every day.

I have a D250 which is a great engine but the gearbox seems to hold onto gears and rev high.
Post #977961 14th Jan 2023 10:13am
chalky

I’m not sure I can cope with Oil dilution all over again.
And having had the D3 and the D5 both with V6 engines the more sedate up shift in gear change from more torquey engine will hopefully suit the bigger car.

I’ve been back on the used car locator, there’s some nice D300’s in X Dynamic spec that fit the bill nicely.
I’m not entirely sure about the screen size it’s just got IDD ? I think or it’s got the TFT screen with clear sight rear view mirror.

I will keep you all posted, but the engine and spec look set on X Dynamic and D300. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #977963 14th Jan 2023 10:23am
Tim in Scotland

I have a February 2020 built D240 110 First Edition. I’m surprised that you have found one with the bigger screen as I thought that that didn’t arrive until after the 6 cylinder engines became standard.

I’ve not had a single mechanical issue with my D240 BUT I also have not followed the service schedule and have had oil and filters changed at half the recommended service interval. It has more than enough power and torque but it isn’t as nice as having the extra torque of the D250. I do have one concern and that is the gearbox tends to hang onto RPMs in 1st and 2nd gears when cold and sometimes it will hold revs at 3500 before shifting up and I will shift it manually if it does. Despite being the 4 cylinder it is smooth and quiet at speed. My car has averaged 28.9mpg over 31 months and 19800 miles and that includes a lot of miles in low range off-road. I also run the more aggressive of the AT tyre options recommended by LR - the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac which is quiet on the road but won’t help with fuel consumption. They have worn well but I’ve had to replace two due to slashed sidewalls when off-road.
There are people who have written off the D240 in New Defender as a crap engine but bear in mind that it is a clean sheet engine bay design and not an afterthought “how do we stuff in the DPF now” like Disco Sport and Evoque had to do - I suspect that they haven’t lived with one for longer than a test drive. I would have another one if that was my cheapest way into a New Defender. I’m selling mine in March as I have a new car coming otherwise I would keep it longer without hesitation. Also IIRC the 6 cylinder is the same basic engine as the 4 cylinder - it’s a modular design and has even been reduced to 3 cylinders in Disco Sport and Evoque PHEV’s - power output changes thanks to ECU mapping changes.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #977964 14th Jan 2023 10:47am
Oswiperus

United Kingdom 
You may or may not regret buying a D240......

But you certainly won't regret buying a D300...it's an absolute peach!

Click image to enlarge
 110 D300 SE Tasman blue
Post #977976 14th Jan 2023 12:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>