↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Battery Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
v40mav

Scotland 
Battery Questions
Guys - looking for some advise. Defender refused to start this morning.

It's going in for a service today so garage was picking up and when the driver tried to start it turned over but not enough to start - had to use the jump start pack.

Defernder has twin Optima yellow tops installed with split charge relay - etc -
Winch and All radios and lights / power sockets etc are wired into the Aux battery

A few weeks back I jumped in and it refused to start - - At the time it had not moved for 3 weeks as we had been away -

I was last out on Sunday.

Both yellow tops are fairly new and have never been hard worked - It was colder this morning but not freezing -

i guess the question is - is the Yellow top sufficient for starting or should I look at Red top ? or an alternative that fits the space available with the YT.

I have asked the garage to check the alternator etc to see if there is any issue with charging - or obvious fault - Defender 110 County SW

Disco 3 HSE

Freelander 2 HSE - SOLD going back to a car

www.lothian4x4response.org
Post #93993 13th Oct 2011 9:47am
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
yellow top should be fine for starting, must be a charging problem or you have a current drain somewhere
Post #93995 13th Oct 2011 10:06am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
If you are taking power direct from one battery (CB, lamp relays etc) the alternator will charge one fully and the other will drain down... i had this bother with a truck i owned and the remedy was to swap them over every couple of months. I think the alternator senses a fully charged battery then cuts the charge off leaving the flat battery flat... 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #93997 13th Oct 2011 10:21am
v40mav

Scotland 
I'm using a voltage sensing split charge relay - same as I have used in previous TD5 and also using in D3 - Never had an issue with either.

This should ensure that the main battery remains fully charged. Defender 110 County SW

Disco 3 HSE

Post #94003 13th Oct 2011 11:07am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
v40mav wrote:
Never had an issue with either. This should ensure that the main battery remains fully charged.

Only whilst the vehicle is being used. You did state the problem manifested itself after sitting for three weeks!

Using an ammeter see if you are drawing any current off the batteries whilst stationary and with the courtesy lights all off. My guess too that something like a relay is drawing current whilst the vehicle is not in use. If it is pull the fuses starting with any auxillary extras that have been fitted one by one until the current draw disappears to reveal the culprit. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #94056 13th Oct 2011 6:27pm
v40mav

Scotland 
Am away to A rally for the weekend so will try this after I'm back

Thanks for the info. Thumbs Up Defender 110 County SW

Disco 3 HSE

Post #94087 13th Oct 2011 8:13pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Check your earth to the chassis ad transferbox iv had similar problems with this yesterday see my thread in the puma section
Regards steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #94088 13th Oct 2011 8:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Not sure what split charge system you're using, but with a system like Genesyz for eample the control unit charges the main starting battery only for the first two minutes, then switches both main and auxiliary batteries in parallel to charge both. This should get over the problem stated above. On the Genesyz system you can also press a button and get the full both batteries in parallel for starting, or for winching: otherwise the auxiliary is totally independent on discharging.

If your battery has regularly been fully discharged then you may find its performance substantially reduced. If you regularly leave the vehicle for long periods of time then investigate a smart trickle charger system to keep your batteries in tip top condition.
Post #94103 13th Oct 2011 9:13pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I've been having issues with battery drain, usually over a week.

Could someone tell me what current draw I should see when the vehicle is "off" ie no keys in ignition. Mine is a 2001 TD5 with an alarm and (I suspect this may be the problem) an after-market central locking kit.

Cheers

Simon
Post #160199 5th Aug 2012 8:26pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
v40mav wrote:
I'm using a voltage sensing split charge relay - same as I have used in previous TD5 and also using in D3 - Never had an issue with either.

This should ensure that the main battery remains fully charged.

This does not split the charge, it joins both batteries in parallel, if one is fully charged and the other low it may take a while to charge the flat battery
Post #160253 6th Aug 2012 8:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
you'll need a 100% decent battery to start a tdi,td5 tdci

whats the CCA of an optima?
Post #160345 6th Aug 2012 7:22pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Re: Battery Questions
v40mav wrote:

Defernder has twin Optima yellow tops installed with split charge relay - etc -
Winch and All radios and lights / power sockets etc are wired into the Aux battery

I have asked the garage to check the alternator etc to see if there is any issue with charging - or obvious fault -

OK, first off, you need to adjust that setup........ The 'Secondary battery is used for items that need to stay on when the vehicle isn't running.

Lights and Winch are used only when the vehicle is running- unless they are auxiliary lights for camping and therefore they go on the secondary battery.

As for testing:

1. Start car and check there is 14+ Volts coming from the alternator- if yes that is very good news.

2. Check the battery voltages off the car- if one is 0v and the other is 6-8v I would say you have a completely F**ked battery and it is trying to take the other with it.

I am guessing they are AGM batteries? If so they probably need a good cycle through a really good charger. I use a CTEK 5.0 (about £50-60) which has a setting for AGM and will keep them in tip top condition- you could also leave it on charge whilst you go away.

Hope this helps a little,
Glyn Dog Sheep

*EDIT* Just like this (just ignore all the wavy lines)

Click image to enlarge
Post #160358 6th Aug 2012 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1