↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma odd power drop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jpu121265

France 
Puma odd power drop
Hi all. Have a weird one with a Puma 110 (2010 2.4). It's as though the accelerator stops working then starts working fine. Sometimes it's a bit jerky when cold as well but that seems to cheer up. No fault codes, recently had a pair of recon injectors fitted, changed the SCV for genuine one, MAF has been changed for genuine, EGR changed for genuine (it had a MAF fault which turned out to be two injectors/seals gone and pressurising), pump and injector learn done, fuel filter changed, minded to change the throttle pedal and crank position sensor next.

I borrowed my mates Icarsoft to read the codes (there wasn't any), on live data throttle pedal reads fine and fuel pressure seems fine as well and doesn't drop. Like I say I'll probably try another accelerator pedal as I'm not sure what else to try, it is as though the accelerator just cuts off at 60mph odd 5th/6th gear, but it drops to idle fine in neutral and drives fine afterwards.

Just wondered if anyone has had something like this, before I throw money at a pedal that might not be needed!

TIA.
Post #976982 7th Jan 2023 12:57pm
Jpu121265

France 
I've had another look today. There is a definite loss of boost, mainly when coasting in 5th/6th gear, time varies, sometimes it comes back on its own, sometimes it comes back when going down through the gears.

I've checked the actuator harness, seems fine although it has almost rubbed through the conduit so will address that. The actuator rod is free (it was sticking a little on its highest, a bit of WD40 and there's no resistance at all up or down). Live data, when it happens, everything sort of drops as though it's demanded by driver, fuel pressure, air flow, just descends with speed. Have just changed the MAF and MAP for known good ones, still happens. Minded to think it's the actuator solenoid, have taken the lid off it and everything seems fine with it, a bit of dust so have cleaned it out, will see if that makes a difference. Still no DTC's. Do these solenoids fail?
Post #977211 9th Jan 2023 1:09pm
Jpu121265

France 
Boost pipes all seem fine, going to check intercooler next, but I would have expected a DTC there.

Have taken a video and, while stationary, the actuator moves as expected when revving.

Can tell it's a boost drop as you feel it pick back up, and when it happens, you coast in neutral and it labours up to around 3k, there's no 'pep' from the turbo.

I'll see if I can find a second hand actuator locally to try and see if this improves things. Runs and drives fine apart from randomly coming off boost!
Post #977218 9th Jan 2023 1:41pm
Jpu121265

France 
For anyone interested, I have found out what it is, it might help someone else. The 'brain' reckons it is overheating, it is pressurising the coolant system, not sure whether it was doing it before but now I can see the gauge go to red (up to the top) and drop back down after a while, bleed screw full of air, and the coolant cap (gently undoing it) is full of gas as well. Hopefully just a faulty EGR cooler, I believe the head gaskets are pretty robust on these.
Post #977235 9th Jan 2023 5:52pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Yes there is an in built safety feature that will shut down the engine if it starts heading into overheat territory. Happened to our 2008 Puma. Turned out to be a leaking in the cooling system caused by a loose hose clamp. If you have no leaks check when your coolant was changed last. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #977502 10th Jan 2023 10:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1