↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Used Defender 110 HSE (D300)- buying advice please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JustCallMeMac

United Kingdom 
Used Defender 110 HSE (D300)- buying advice please.
Hi,

I'll be viewing a 2021 Defender 110 HSE later next week and could do with some advice please.

Is there a quick and straightforward way for me to identify / confirm whether the vehicle has the following, as has been advertised.

. Matrix LED headlights? (As opposed to LED / Premium LED)

. An e-diff? (Car supposedly optioned with an Offroad Pack)

. All Terrain Progress Control / Advanced Terrain 2? (Car supposedly optioned with a Towing Pack)

Finally, do all vehicles come with the Secure Tracker fitted and it's a case of paying for activation or was it a factory-fit option?

Many thanks,

Steve
Post #976970 7th Jan 2023 9:57am
Tim in Scotland

To check for the Matrix headlights go into the settings menu, driver convenience, exterior lighting - there is a settling there that activates the clever beam shifting IIRC - I have matrix on mine but don’t know if that setting comes with lower spec headlights
This is the adjustment I think only the Matrix headlight cars have but I stand to be corrected if the LED and Premium LED headlights also have this but I’m 99% you had to have Matrix lights to be able to block out oncoming cars to avoid dazzling the drive

Click image to enlarge

E-Diff - select 4x4 info in the Pivi Pro apps - if it has the rear diff then it will show both the Centre diff and the rear diff icons - no rear diff no icon. Also Offroad pack has black roof rails as standard and should come with Goodyear Adventurer AT Tyres unless the last owner specced it with the Goodyear Duratracs at extra cost. Another bit of the Offroad pack was a 3 pin domestic socket rated at 180w in the boot space right hand side
This is my car with only the Centre locking diff - ediff equipped cars have a diff icon on the rear axle too

Click image to enlarge

Advanced TR2 - I’m pretty certain that in the mode selection you will have a configurable setting in the 4x4 menu and an auto setting if you select the TR menu and scroll fully to the right that isn’t on cars without that upgrade.

Click image to enlarge

Very early 2020 cars had the security system as an option but by late 2020 it was a standard - the optional bit on it is the subscription. The first car I was offered from dealer stock had the Ediff I wanted but no security system at all, the 2nd car (the one I ended up buying) has no diff but the full on 3 years subscription tracker. Depending on the value of the car and your insurers requirements they may insist on a 3rd party tracker system. I’m with NFU and for my £61,000 D240 First Edition they didn’t require an additional system however I have a new 90 HSE on order with a £70000 value where I might be asked to upgrade the tracker, I haven’t yet looked into that.

If you can get the dealership to access the database with the VIN it will tell you the full as built spec. Something else to look out for is that the audio system is the full 400W Meridian multi speaker system and not the 180w 10 speaker unbranded head unit with Meridian speakers - there was a period when they couldn’t get the full on Meridian audio head units. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #976973 7th Jan 2023 10:27am
JustCallMeMac

United Kingdom 
Thank you for the really in-depth and detailed response and advice Tim. That is so good of you and much appreciated. I'll print it off and take it with me for reference. Thumbs Up

I have the VIN number so I'll put a call in to my local LR dealership on Monday and ask if theyre able to provide the full order spec. (Car is being sold by an independent and I've asked to see the original sales order if they have it) I need to call LR anyway as I want to establish what an extended warranty will likley cost, once the balance of the manufacturer warranty expires in 2024.

Cheers again,

Steve
Post #976981 7th Jan 2023 11:13am
Tim in Scotland

Good luck, they are fantastic cars to drive - great Offroad but also if you are off on a road trip. The most comfortable Defender you will ever drive!

Something else to check - I think it was model year 2022 (from October 21) 110’s lost their air suspension as standard so check if it us on coils or air suspension. I believe coils don’t make much difference to the ride quality but you get high groubd clearance in Offroad height on the air suspension. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #977022 7th Jan 2023 6:24pm
JustCallMeMac

United Kingdom 
I've registered to TOPix and paid for an hour's subscription in order to view the build spec of the car. Interesting read although it's quite tricky to ascertain exactly 'what's what' in some cases.

As listed:

.Rear Axle Open Diff w/TVBB

- would this be the locking e-diff or not? I've seen other build sheets refer to it as Rear Axle ACT LCKG DIFF w/TVBB?

.Terrain Response

- is this the same as the configurable Terrain Response 2?

Upon enquiry, the dealer advised that apart from the heated steering wheel, the car didn't have headlight washing or the cold climate pack. However the following features are listed on the build so I'm assuming it has them unless they were ommitted upon build?

.Headlamp Power Wash
.Heated Washer Jets-W'Shield

Also there's no mention of the deployable towing bar / towing pack, even though the former is definitely fitted. (And the build states LESS TOWING EQUIPMENT) So possibly a retro fit? No mention of Explorer and Off-Road packs either, although the car shows evidence of having them or parts of them.)

It's pretty confusing to establish excactly what has and hasn't been fitted by the factory, where certain nuances are present, so I'll be viewing with a very keen eye and am going to ask the dealer to send me a couple of images of the 4x4 Info / TR Info screens, to try to establish exactly what has, and hasn't been, fitted.

Cheers,

Steve
Post #977072 8th Jan 2023 11:02am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
That information suggests the non-locking diff and normal Terrain Response (i.e. not TR2).

Adding TR2 is easy aftermarket for a few hundred quid, but adding the diff involves very expensive parts, wiring modifications and custom software changes to the car configuration files.
Post #977073 8th Jan 2023 11:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1