↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Overlanding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Overlanding
Would you take a Defender L663 overlanding? l mean into the desert or somewhere outside the range of external help?

l wonder if any of these new Defenders will see expedition work or crossing the Australian Outback for instance.

l am sure someone has done it, the vehicles seem reliable in the fact that they don't actually break or stop running.
Post #976670 4th Jan 2023 2:35pm
J77

Scotland 
There’s an article in Land Rover Owner magazine, an owner takes his 90HT on overland trips.
Post #976678 4th Jan 2023 5:52pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
That’s Russ from Ardventures. He’s being doing that sort of stuff for years so I guess he wouldn’t take it if he didn’t trust it. Had a Land Cruiser before the 90. Top bloke, does some cracking tours both UK and abroad.

Last edited by Co1 on 4th Jan 2023 10:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #976692 4th Jan 2023 7:50pm
HTB

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Buckingham Blue
Re: Overlanding
lightning wrote:
Would you take a Defender L663 overlanding? l mean into the desert or somewhere outside the range of external help?

l wonder if any of these new Defenders will see expedition work or crossing the Australian Outback for instance.

l am sure someone has done it, the vehicles seem reliable in the fact that they don't actually break or stop running.

i think everyone was asking the same question when the TD5 replaced the 300tdi?
Post #976694 4th Jan 2023 7:56pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Re: Overlanding
lightning wrote:

Why wouldn't? you its not like the there is anything ground breaking new on the new Defender. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #976702 4th Jan 2023 8:56pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Checkout this dude: https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #976703 4th Jan 2023 9:17pm
zilch

Australia 
A few owners on the Aussie book of faces group posting some adventurous outback trips,
Simpson Desert etc.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #976955 7th Jan 2023 2:00am
BruceT

South Africa 
thank you Naks. Cheque is in the mail with commissions Laughing Laughing

To answer Lightenings question..........ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT DOUBT!

It is the best vehicle I have owned so far for the type of traveling I do. I have had water half way up the windscreen,
https://youtube.com/shorts/DUOQeYjr7l0?feature=share

I have travelled extensively throughout Southern Africa with many places no even having fuel available and the New Defender has done everything easily.

Here is the link to my channel. I am beginner at making videos, so dont judge too hard:

https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce/videos "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130
23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrHKcjA-LJ470_H4QwPgVA
Post #978805 19th Jan 2023 11:53am
XplusYplusZ

Whilst field spannering and some gaffa tape will go a long way, the reliance on electronics in modern vehicles is impossible to deny. You can't always fix it yourself, and a local mechanic may also struggle if some circuitry fries.

I think the New Defender has been incredibly well designed, and speaking from experience, can handle a hell of a lot more than you would expect. But I would not trust my life with it.

Absolutely, go overlanding with a New Defender - I can't think of a more fun to do it in (so comfy and capable you can focus on enjoying yourself). But at the same time, you should always have an extraction plan in case the worst happens and the vehicle is immobilised.

I was speaking with an ex-serviceman who was planning a pretty impressive multi-week expedition, he was planning to take a small team and multiple vehicles with an expectation that one will likely fail.
Post #979713 25th Jan 2023 12:23pm
BruceT

South Africa 
That goes for any vehicle you drive. Always have an escape plan when it's necessary no matter what vehicle you drive.

What I find interesting is nobody ever talks about the redundancy built into the major systems and how they can back each other up with major items. No-one mentions how the vehicle protects itself from things like EGT's getting too high, high water temps etc.
One silly example I have experienced was, I had a battery that was getting very low while camped very far from any help surrounded by a super pride of 22 lions in Mana Pools in northern Zimbabwe. The Vehicle warned me and told me to start the vehicle so that battery could charge.

I have had many more simple, more "acceptable" by the old school guys, overlanding vehicles that have never told me a battery was going low. I have also not experienced major failures to electronics in modern vehicles without outside influences like flooding for example. Yes wiring problems, due to rats, or being burnt for whatever reason. Most failures or breakdowns that I know of have been mechanical.

Each to their own but I have more faith after around 55k kms mostly overlanding far off the usual tracks, in my new defenders than I do in any of any of my old ones. I would be happy to drive all through Africa to Europe and then cross the pond and do the Americas in my New Defender before any of my prior Defenders no matter how much I loved them all. "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130

Post #979720 25th Jan 2023 12:47pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Quite an endorsement Bruce and very good examples. Thanks for sharing. Thumbs Up
Post #979748 25th Jan 2023 4:11pm
BruceT

South Africa 
its a pleasure. Hope I haven't just cursed myself Rolling with laughter "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130

Post #979836 26th Jan 2023 10:40am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
As you can pretty much drive from John O’Groats to J.Berg on tarmac just ensure that your AA membership is up to date….. Whistle
Post #979837 26th Jan 2023 10:52am
G&T

United Kingdom 
It’s great to hear of Bruce’s experience. I’ve just seen the new Grenadier in real life and for my needs it’s too purpose built if that makes sense. I’m never going to go that hard core for weeks on end. And thus I would be happy with a bit more refinement like the Defender knowing that I will overland but not be ridiculous.
Post #979850 26th Jan 2023 12:26pm
stevemfr

France 
XplusYplusZ wrote:
Whilst field spannering and some gaffa tape will go a long way, the reliance on electronics in modern vehicles is impossible to deny. You can't always fix it yourself, and a local mechanic may also struggle if some circuitry fries.

I think the New Defender has been incredibly well designed, and speaking from experience, can handle a hell of a lot more than you would expect. But I would not trust my life with it.

I've not posted much here yet, so many of you may not yet know me though there are also names I recognize from other forums. As I have been a part of GAP Diagnostic from the beginning and I enjoy overlanding, I have spent some time dwelling on exactly this question. And I've had several very relevant experiences and formed some very clear opinions on this topic. So if I sound like I am lecturing, please forgive me. Laughing

First, cars today are considerably more reliable than cars were 30-40 years ago when electronics began to expand beyond the car radio. And they are cleaner, use much less fuel, produce much more power, and are much, much safer than they were back then. This is something that is often forgotten. Especially critical systems such as the engine or transmission management. Where LR's have failed regularly since the introduction of the P38 Range Rover has been in peripheral systems. You could generally still drive, it just wasn't as nice or comfortable - 2 notable exceptions being the alarm/immobilizer and the early air suspension.

And as far as repairs, especially field repairs go, I don't believe they have become more complex - though you do need additional tools (such as the IIDTool Whistle ) and information (a digital workshop manual). 35 years ago you had to be able to, say, replace or repair a faulty carburetor, today you have to be able to use a diagnostic tool and look up the repair procedure. The actual spannering hasn't changed terribly. In some ways it's actually become easier: 35 years ago a sputtering diesel meant you had to know how the system operated to even begin to attempt a repair, today the diagnostic system will tell you where to look - or sometimes even exactly what the problem is. My L322 Range Rover went into 'limp-home' mode in eastern Turkey a number of years ago. I was able to read the fault code, determine exactly what the problem was (worn injectors), clear the code and continue on my merry way in a matter of 15 minutes. In this case, it was possible to continue without a physical repair. But if necessary, I could have gone to a local garage and had them do the repairs. And there would have been no guessing and hoping that the mechanics knew what they were doing and would be able to find the problem.

If you are going to go to really remote places, you always need a plan for emergencies - but you would have needed that just the same 40 years ago. There was always some element of risk in traveling off road, be it financial in that you have to have a vehicle recovered from a "remote" green lane in Wales or be it to life and limb if you are depending on your vehicle for travel north of the arctic circle in Lappland. This has not changed. But the risks used to be greater than they are today.

All of this is what lead me (actually lead all of us at GAP) to become involved in Land Rover vehicle diagnostics. I have not hesitated to take my past LR's overlanding and will not hesitate to take my L663 Defender overlanding. But I will (try to) be ready for contingencies.

@Bruce - love your channel. I discovered it several months ago and have been checking back regularly. My wife and I had originally planned to drive from here (Alsace) down to Tanzania to visit friends and then on to SA once the children were no longer young. This was 15 years ago. But with the way the political situations have developed, we'd have trouble getting through northern Africa without crossing through some rather unsafe areas (and that is not the type of adventure I seek in my travels) and our friends had to leave Tanzania. So we are now planning to fly down and rent a vehicle... Confused 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #979923 26th Jan 2023 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>