↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New LR Defender heated washer jets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
r18wly

United Kingdom 
New LR Defender heated washer jets
Does anyone know how the heated washer jets are activated? My 22MY XS has the cold climate pack I have low temp screen wash in, but nothing coming out this morning with temp of -6 C.
Post #974015 9th Dec 2022 9:27am
Tim in Scotland

No idea about the heated washers - I use the -20C rated screen wash all year round and have never had any problems getting the screens washed even at -10C, fluid comes out immediately. I use Halfords Concentrated normally but recently tried the Rainex equivalent - I won’t be wasting my money on it again it’s useless even in summer and has left greasy smears on the glass that are particularly difficult to remove for some reason. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #974085 9th Dec 2022 6:39pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Heated washer jets are good, but if the pipes feeding them
are frozen they won't work.

I remember fitting them to our Mini. In Winter when it was very cold they produced nice little circles of melted frost around the jets but no water on the screen.
Post #974104 9th Dec 2022 9:37pm
J77

Scotland 
Did you spec the cold climate pack? My 23MY XS doesn’t have it only the heated steering wheel. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #974123 10th Dec 2022 9:03am
Tim in Scotland

lightning wrote:
Heated washer jets are good, but if the pipes feeding them
are frozen they won't work.

I remember fitting them to our Mini. In Winter when it was very cold they produced nice little circles of melted frost around the jets but no water on the screen.

Off Topic well not a Defender issue but a Mini one! I noticed this morning after pre-conditioning my BEV Mini that there was a cleared area around each washer nozzle on the bonnet and the plastic was warm to touch. Never knew my little Minx had heated scooshers. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #974181 10th Dec 2022 6:35pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Re: New LR Defender heated washer jets
r18wly wrote:
Does anyone know how the heated washer jets are activated? My 22MY XS has the cold climate pack I have low temp screen wash in, but nothing coming out this morning with temp of -6 C.

Touch them, you will see if they are working. Trigggered by the temp sensor i would guess.

My bet would be that the fluid is frozen, if indeed you have heated jets.
Post #974222 11th Dec 2022 9:48am
LR Nuts

Click image to enlarge

these are the ones Bowler use to rid screen of wet mud.
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #974225 11th Dec 2022 10:43am
r18wly

United Kingdom 
J77 wrote:
Did you spec the cold climate pack? My 23MY XS doesn’t have it only the heated steering wheel.

Yes, MY22 cold climate pack had heated washers too and they are listed on the Vista sheet for the car, under options.
Post #974326 12th Dec 2022 9:11am
Nashvegas

United States 
Curious where the heaters are because aren't the nozzles inside the wiper arms?

I have a 110 X that says cold weather pack but I don't see any electric wires going to the wiper arms from underhood. So not sure how they are "heated".
Post #974615 14th Dec 2022 2:57am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Maybe they ran out of heated nozzles, like the internal tailgate release and locking fuel cap mechanisms

Unless it's heated HEADLAMP washer jets?
Post #974621 14th Dec 2022 9:19am
lrsg

United Kingdom 
Have had the same problem with frozen washer jets during the last week. As far as I can tell, it is due to rubbish washer fluid being supplied with the vehicle. I had actually not had to refill the washer fluid when the cold period hit, despite having owned the vehicle for over a year. When it stopped working, I first thought the tank was empty, although I did not get a low fluid warning on the screen. I topped up with proper winter fluid, but apparently the original fluid is far from being used up, so it is still causing trouble. The washer fluid tank must be very large. I expect this will resolve itself when the original fluid is finally used up.
Post #974732 15th Dec 2022 11:10am
LR Nuts

+1 . as above.

I've had my vehicle since August 22. Never had to top up. LR Franchised Dealer never did it before delivery !

But there by they never filled the AdBlue either, only 500mls into my ownership I had to add 14ltrs !!

All part of their NO CECK prior to delivery, USELESS Confused

They even let me drive off their forecourt with a front reg plate covered with Land Rover APPROVED, didn't notice till I got back to my home some 1hr, motorway journey.
Post #974740 15th Dec 2022 12:25pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
ln the end it's up to you to ensure that your vehicle is roadworthy before driving, but yes they clearly didn't PDI yours properly.

l imagine the washer fluid reservoir has been filled with "Summer" concentration rather than "Winter"
Post #974758 15th Dec 2022 2:47pm
LR Nuts

you can have all this ....... but not heated wiper wash jets.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #974832 16th Dec 2022 10:10am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I had a 300tdi disco and fitted wiper mounted washer jets if you recall the S1 discos had the jets on the plastic panel under the bonnet line and they were rubbish.

The wiper mounted ones were great except in cold weather where they would freeze, the solution was to increase the anti-freeze but it wouldnt always solve the tip of the nozel freezing.

I did think it was a weakness of the new defender, then realised heated jets werent standard. This cold snap highlighted almost the same problem as 15 years ago. Worse, the dealer topped up the fluid at is service at the beginning of December and clearly didnt put any winter level fluid in, so i could even top it up!

I have been wondering if you can retrofit heated jets - anyone know?

As an aside i can see why the headlights need a jet too. Mike
Post #975102 19th Dec 2022 11:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>