Home > Td5 > ECU Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
ECU Woes
Hey everyone, just after a bit of advice on td5 ecu's

I had a no start issue a couple of years back with my original msb ecu. I invested in a nanocom and the ecu wasnt reading crank speed. I changed the crank sensor, changed the wiring, which didnt work then lastly bought a second hand nnn ecu to fit. Bingo the problem was solved.

I had a couple of dodgy start issues the last couple of weeks since the weather has been getting cold, the battery is fine, the truck lives on a trickle charger so im certain its no power issue. Anyway yesterday went to fire her up, no fuel pump sound, no engine light and no glow plug light. I checked the main fuses and relays and they all seemed fine. Plugged in the nanocom and it said it was unable to connect to the ecu.

Since the first ecu died ive always carried a spare msb ecu that i got cheap to get me out of trouble. I plugged that in and the truck fired up straight away. I unbolted the nnn and fitted my spare and the truck is fine. I tried plugging the nnn in again in all different positions in case its as dodgy connetion or wiring but its just completely dead with no power.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Ive not opened it up yet and started checking it. Ive since looked at the price of NNN ecu's and they gone up since ive bought that first one meaning this one is probably worth repairing. Annoyingly there is no fault code or anything because the nancom cant even talk to it it seems like a power issue in the ecu itself.

If i cant repair it can any of you recommend a decent place to get it done for a reasonable price.
Post #973362 4th Dec 2022 11:21am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Worth speaking to these people https://www.ecutesting.com/product-catalog...anagement/

They will do a test on your current unit first which is £45 and if there is a fault and you ask them to repair it the fee is waived
Post #973392 4th Dec 2022 5:43pm
LandymanStefan

Thanks, had mine collected today Thumbs Up Nice that they offer a warranty.
Post #973960 8th Dec 2022 6:04pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Let us know how you get on.

I have some intermittent issues and the ECU is one potential cause and so I have considered sending it to the same people to get tested
Post #974017 9th Dec 2022 8:32am
LandymanStefan

Well the ecu returned from ecutesting and it powered the dash lights which was more than it did before. But then cranked and didnt start. Swapped back to my spare and it fired up straight away.

Ecu testing collected it again they called me and said their head engineer tested it and everything was fine but theyll disable the immobiliser in case that was causing an issue.

Received it back today, crank and no start. It did throw a fault code once of 'injector # peak charge long' on all injectors # being the injector number. I double checked the usual culprits injector plug etc all fine. Plugged in my spare ecu and it fired up straight away. Ive emailed them tonight and ill see what i hear back from them. Kind of just want my money back and to buy another ecu at this rate. Rolling Eyes
Post #976843 5th Jan 2023 10:05pm
Super7

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Rutland Red
I had exactly the same problem with this company. My ECU was sent to them 4 (yes really!) times, and each time they said they had tested it and it worked perfectly. Even after my ECU was supposedly fully rebuilt by them it didn’t work, and yet my spare ECU would start the engine first time and run without any fault codes.

I did eventually get most of my money back but it wasn’t easy... '99 TD5 Defender 90
'52 Series 1 80"
'99 Caterham 7
Post #976873 6th Jan 2023 8:57am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Crumbs…

I’ve just had a reconditioned ABS unit delivered from ECU Testing.

I hope I don’t have any issues as it’s been a pain the bottom of a job so far already Big Cry

Their customer service was first class - but obviously the proof of the pudding will be if the unit actually works!
Post #976972 7th Jan 2023 10:27am
LandymanStefan

Well it went and came back a 3rd time after being 'rebuilt'. Still didnt work, have sent it back to them for good now and should be getting a refund.
Post #978605 17th Jan 2023 10:11pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Sorry to hear that - hope you get the full refund 👍
Post #978709 18th Jan 2023 6:33pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
TD5 ECU
Only one person I would recommend to do any testing or work on TD5 ECUs is Dan from Storm Tuning.

Hes a decent guy and will give you an honest appraisal about whether it's going to be cost effective to repair, but also usually holds a reasonable stock of tested ECUs in stock for those that are not cost effective to repair.

He has tested and repaired ECUs and also supplied replacements too for my customers.

Dan Matthews, Storm Tuning +447711069434

Best Regards

Chris[/i]
Post #978728 18th Jan 2023 7:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1