↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > xbox game pass... What do I need ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
xbox game pass... What do I need ?
Hello

Kids are getting an xbox (part shared present)

the Game passes seem to vary?

I've been on the Microsoft site and there are 2 versions

Ultimate £10.99 month Console £7.99 month

At first I thought its a lot but noticed it includes all new games as well as loads of games currently, given games can be £50 plus seems to make sense?

I also notice there are 'Keys' available cheaper and use a VPN to use cheap European keys......??

Come the big day I would rather it just all work... What have people that have already one of these done? Just go with the Microsoft package? Thumbs Up

Thanks
Post #973182 2nd Dec 2022 12:26pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Been a while since I played on an xbox, but as I understand it ultimate includes xbox live gold which is required for playing multiplayer and chatting with friend etc. So I would recommend ultimate. Also if you game on PC like myself, you get access to games on there too.

Can't comment on VPN'ing to European countries but I know it is a thing on other platforms. VPN's are free to an extent of data, after which you need to pay. I've used TunnelBear in the past.

Note, once you stop paying for game pass you no longer have access to the games. Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #973198 2nd Dec 2022 2:23pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I'm not expert, I'd need to speak to my 11yo son if you want details but, we pay £17.99 a quarter for XBox Live Gold and that's all we've needed in 2 years of ownership.

Forza has some great Land Rovers!! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #973205 2nd Dec 2022 2:51pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
My son got one last year. We went for the Ultimate Game Pass, as other have mentioned this gives access to Online features(as well as Extras/Add ons like maps/vehicles/guns which you otherwise pay for)

After not playing games since the 80's I have now weaned myself off Forza Horizon but currently battling a serious Battlefield addiction.
Post #973207 2nd Dec 2022 3:11pm
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
I have the Ultimate Pass for my sons' X box, as
Smyles_ says you get Xbox live which allows online playing of multiplayer games, this is well used by my 2 boys to play online with friends and family, which is great at this time of year when there is a very limited window of daylight after school.

It also gives you X Box Gold which allows access to a library of free to download games, plus we get access to 3 pre selected games per month for free download and EA Access which used to be an extra £20 per year.

This gives access to the FIFA games, John Madden NFL, NHL, NBA and MMA sports games and war games like Battlefield 1, V and the recently available 2042 version which this time last year was £49.99.

I've set our Xbox up with 3 accounts as part of a family account. My account is the main one that has the payment details and allows me to set the age limit on games for the 14 and 9 year olds and pre approve any purchases. I can grant temporary or permanent access to games with a higher age rating and can restrict the online chat functions accordingly.
My boys tend to use a WhatsApp call rather than the online in game function when playing with people they know.

If you download a game and don't like it or need to free up storage space you can uninstall it and it remains in your library where it can be re downloaded at a later date or removed completely. We bought an external hard drive for extra storage. I tried and failed to use and old laptop hard drive as external storage.

One of the biggest issues is controller batteries and keeping things charged, we have a wired controller and 2 fitted with rechargeable battery packs, which can also be charged as you play. As a back up normal AA batteries work but it can get expensive during heavy use.

On Christmas day setting up the WIFI connection and picking usernames and email accounts takes longer than it should. The Xbox can randomly generate a user name or you can make your own. Once set it's difficult to change and sometimes choosing your own works better for sharing with friends at school etc. Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #973208 2nd Dec 2022 3:12pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Cragster makes an excellent point about set up times - I set up the Xbox accounts for my son and daughter in advance of Santa's arrival but didn't quite anticipate how long it takes to download games - especially on Xmas day when loads of folk will be doing the same thing. The boy was eventually able to play Forza about 11pm on the night!

Subsequently learned that you can cut this time by using a wired connection(ethernet cable) from the router rather than over Wifi.
Post #973210 2nd Dec 2022 3:34pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Ah yes, gamertags...

Definitely think about that one when you create the account... Mine was so comically bad, it's still joked about with my friends 14 years later. You used to be able to change it, but it will confuse people on your friends list.

A gamertag is for life Wink Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #973212 2nd Dec 2022 4:21pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Some good advice Smile

We have other consoles so hopefully setting upon the day should be ok, could be tricky before hand anyway..

As long as I can drive round the Nürburgring on a game I'm happy.

The MS Ultimate collection looks like they way forward then, Unless James you ask your son if there is a better way Smile

Thanks

Thumbs Up
Post #973215 2nd Dec 2022 4:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1