↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > What alloy and tyre combination
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JW51MAT

What alloy and tyre combination
I'm trying to decide between 16" and 18" and the many designs. Currently on 265 75 16 but wondering if 18 will make the ride a little harder? I have read and looked at many threads but some of the images are missing so would be great to see what you got and opinions of all terrain tyres, little off road use

Thank you in advance.
PS ideas on side steps that allow my 5' tall daughter to get in without a ladder.

Click image to enlarge

Post #971104 14th Nov 2022 1:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
I'm trying to decide between 16" and 18" and the many designs. Currently on 265 75 16 but wondering if 18 will make the ride a little harder? I have read and looked at many threads but some of the images are missing so would be great to see what you got and opinions of all terrain tyres, little off road use

Thank you in advance.
PS ideas on side steps that allow my 5' tall daughter to get in without a ladder.

Yes 18" wheels will reduce the side wall flex and may feel a bit better... possibly...

The question is... What is your overall plan for the Defender? Overland, daily driver, drag racer, green laner, pavement princess... The decision on whether to choose 16" or 18" wheels is dependant upon the answer to that question.

For me, I want a vehicle that no matter what I ask of it, no matter the weather I know it will do the job that I need it to do. Basically the golden unicorn of Defenders: An all rounder, an overlander and a daily driver all rolled in to one. Could be bracketed under the umbrella of "work horse".

As such Miffy has been built to do exactly that. Everything is adaptable to the requirements of the job at hand. I would not go below a 16" wheel because I need the tyres to deflate and deform over terrain or float over sand. Whilst that is possible with an 18" wheel it is not as good...

If you really want a firmer ride then instead of swapping wheels/tyres think about the shock absorbers, bushes and anti roll bars you have fitted. These have arguably more control on the feel and handling of the vehicle.

As for steps for a 5 foot driver, you can't beat the standard folding step for that. But if you want something that os a little more rugged then the Safari Equip rock sliders with bars work well as a higher step for vertically challenged personnel.

https://www.safari-equip.co.uk/shop/land-r...fender-90/

I have never seen them fitted to a Defender but the other end of the spectrum are a set of automatic side steps that raise and lower when the door opens.
Post #971207 15th Nov 2022 11:56am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green

Click image to enlarge

I have 18inch wheels and love them, also have standard suspension and standard fixed side steps SWMBO is less than 5 foot and has no issues getting in and out.

similar colour so this is what it looks like

265/65 18 tyres slightly lowers the car DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #971210 15th Nov 2022 1:01pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Purely personal taste. Have you seen The definitive wheel and tyre thread..HOW THEY LOOK https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic9184....;start=525

Side steps I like the Fire & Ice option in black https://sidesteps.co.uk/products/classic-d...s-fire-ice James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #971212 15th Nov 2022 1:23pm
JW51MAT

geobloke wrote:
Quote:

Thank you in advance.

Yes 18" wheels will reduce the side wall flex and may feel a bit better... possibly...

The question is... What is your overall plan for the Defender? Overland, daily driver, drag racer, green laner, pavement princess... The decision on whether to choose 16" or 18" wheels is dependant upon the answer to that question.

For me, I want a vehicle that no matter what I ask of it, no matter the weather I know it will do the job that I need it to do. Basically the golden unicorn of Defenders: An all rounder, an overlander and a daily driver all rolled in to one. Could be bracketed under the umbrella of "work horse".

As such Miffy has been built to do exactly that. Everything is adaptable to the requirements of the job at hand. I would not go below a 16" wheel because I need the tyres to deflate and deform over terrain or float over sand. Whilst that is possible with an 18" wheel it is not as good...

If you really want a firmer ride then instead of swapping wheels/tyres think about the shock absorbers, bushes and anti roll bars you have fitted. These have arguably more control on the feel and handling of the vehicle.

As for steps for a 5 foot driver, you can't beat the standard folding step for that. But if you want something that os a little more rugged then the Safari Equip rock sliders with bars work well as a higher step for vertically challenged personnel.

https://www.safari-equip.co.uk/shop/land-r...fender-90/

I have never seen them fitted to a Defender but the other end of the spectrum are a set of automatic side steps that raise and lower when the door opens.

The car is mainly used by my daughter to pick up stuff for the horses, Alpacas etc, local on road trips and towing a trailer on the odd occasion.

Anti roll bars have been fitted and will maybe change the suspension, bushes and springs in the future.

Whilst looking I did think the single folding step maybe a better option as they seem to be a bit lower than side steps.

Thank you for the thoughts.
Post #971328 16th Nov 2022 2:53pm
JW51MAT

LR90XS2011 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I have 18inch wheels and love them, also have standard suspension and standard fixed side steps SWMBO is less than 5 foot and has no issues getting in and out.

265/65 18 tyres slightly lowers the car

I do like the look of the Anthracite wheels on a green Defender and your side steps look lower than the ones that came on the car originally.

Thank you for the image, really helps.
Post #971329 16th Nov 2022 2:56pm
JW51MAT

JOW240725 wrote:
Purely personal taste. Have you seen The definitive wheel and tyre thread..HOW THEY LOOK https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic9184....;start=525

Side steps I like the Fire & Ice option in black https://sidesteps.co.uk/products/classic-d...s-fire-ice

How did I not find that thread, must try harder. edit I did find the thread but a lot of the images are missing. Edit again they are now showing Embarassed

I do like the side steps and they do look to sit lower than the ones that came on the car originally.

Thank you
Post #971332 16th Nov 2022 2:59pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Slightly different take..... 17" Blindo wheels with Pirelli tyres
Alive comfort springs and Bilsteins

Click image to enlarge
Post #971380 16th Nov 2022 10:12pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
JW51MAT wrote:
LR90XS2011 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

265/65 18 tyres slightly lowers the car

I do like the look of the Anthracite wheels on a green Defender and your side steps look lower than the ones that came on the car originally.

Thank you for the image, really helps.

thanks the Side Steps are the original ones that were fitted at the factory DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #971387 16th Nov 2022 10:40pm
JW51MAT

90 Dreamer wrote:
Slightly different take..... 17" Blindo wheels with Pirelli tyres
Alive comfort springs and Bilsteins

Click image to enlarge

I do like black on grey/silver but not sure on green, I think anthracite looks better on darker vehicles unless its all black.

What grill do you have there, any other pics of the front?
Post #971392 16th Nov 2022 11:05pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
Twisted fitted the "auto" side steps to a green 90. They are rock sliders but open as a step when the door is open.

There is a video on YOU Tube, search for twisted ainetre green certified defender.

Looks good but I would be worried about the mechanism filling with mud.
Post #971424 17th Nov 2022 12:31pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Mesh grill and 'series' style lamp surrounds......

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #971499 17th Nov 2022 9:08pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
17” looks correct to me.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #971502 17th Nov 2022 9:32pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Urban 18"s

275/65 So it has a 32.1" tyre Diameter.

The Radar Renegades are great for my daily use and some lanes, Noticed that the ride is better too. I prefer them over the K02s I had prior. Mainly down to the fact the K02 love to understeer... Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #971509 17th Nov 2022 10:31pm
JW51MAT

Thanks for the tyre feedback, nice looking motor.
Post #971670 19th Nov 2022 10:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>