↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre pressures and perished tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
abomb1969

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Santorini Black
Tyre pressures and perished tyres
Having had my TD5 110CSW since July, I am getting a bit fed up with the crashy ride. I noticed the other day that I had a front slow puncture and checked my pressures all round and found the fronts were 40psi and the rears 45psi.

I have now dropped to 32psi all round, and its a million times better. Is this too low?

The tyre with the slow puncture and its perished around the rim as see here, there is nothing obvious eg nail in the tyre.

Click image to enlarge

Is is safe to get an inner tube put in it, or is it scrap. There is about 6mm remaining at best.

Last edited by abomb1969 on 9th Oct 2011 1:01pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #93377 9th Oct 2011 12:58pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
No its not safe to put a tube in it. Definitely not, just replace it, the tyre is knackered

Your pressures at 32 are fine
Post #93378 9th Oct 2011 1:00pm
abomb1969

Thanks Mike, if the tyre was for a normal car I would't have even thought about putting a tube in it. I suppose the size of it made me think it was a possibility. Luckily this is the only tyre with this kind of damage.

When I removed the front wheel to change it for the spare I found that one nut was loose. Note to self, always check nuts and pressures on any new car!
Post #93382 9th Oct 2011 1:05pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Yeah I leanred that the hard way too. After a dealer service I drove 10 miles, stopped to meet someone and as I left heard "plink plink" and two wheel nuts actually fell off. none had been torqued or even tightened up. scary stuff.
Post #93383 9th Oct 2011 1:15pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Slow punctures can be caused by several things including dirt trapped i the rim, especially if tyre pressure are dropped for offroad use.

Tubes in tubeless tyres? The inside of a tubeless tyre is rougher then that of a tubed tyre. However fitting a tube in a tubeless tyre is a possibility as an emergency tactic if you can not repair a puncture in a remote location. On trips I carry a couple of spare inner tubes as an emergency backup. Not recommended for long term/high speed use though. The rougher inside of tubeless tyre can abrade the inner tube.

Read the DOT code on the tyres and find out date of manufacture of tyres.
Now this might open a can of worms! I believe it is illegal to SELL a tyre which is more then 5 or 6 years old. Some tyre manufacturers also recommend that tyres are not used if they are more then about 6 years old. If you go on the tyre manufacturers website you will find their recommendations. To the best of my knowledge it is not illegal to have a tyre on a vehicle older then 5/6 years as long as it is in good condition.

Remember rubber is degraded with age/temperature/salt/UV etc. This is most obviously seen as microcracking in the rubber.

So I would suggest you have a good look at the DOT codes of all the tyres, plus general condition of the tyres.

Brendan
Post #93384 9th Oct 2011 1:21pm
abomb1969

Thanks Brendan, I have had a closer look at the others.

Strangely the shagged tyre is my newest one, Sept 09. The others are 2006 or 2009.

One other tyre is showing signs of similar cracking around the rim as the punctured one, an 2006 tyre. One other tyre (the spare) which I have put on the front axle now, has the microcracking you describe on the sidewall.

Thanks for the lesson in DOT codes you learn something new everyday!
Post #93409 9th Oct 2011 3:49pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
It is interesting that it is a 2 year old tyre which is worst for wear.

Now most tyre manufacturers have got quality control reasonably sussed so that takes possible causes down to either environmental or user. UV in two years in UK??? Probably not. Salt? Would expect all four tyres to be at least same but with 06 tyres being worst.

I would hazard at a guess maybe thermal due to incorrect tyre pressure.

If you have a friendly MOT Inspector or mechanic to have a quick look over them it won't be a bad idea for peace of mind. Avoid places which sell tyres as they might have a commercial interest in giving advice!

Brendan
Post #93421 9th Oct 2011 4:52pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
My mate got his 1974 Series 3 through an MOT last week with similar cracking.. may have been run flat or almost flat? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #93521 10th Oct 2011 10:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1