Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 cold running misbehaviour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
2.4 cold running misbehaviour
Hi there.
2008 2.4 130, engine recently replaced with ‘low mileage used’ one.
When cold, ie first thing or now at the end of the day if not used, I’m getting running troubles. Fires straight away and idles fine, if I drive off straight away I’ll get a quarter mile up the road, and when I go from 2nd to 3rd the revs will rise, then I’ll get terrible diesel knock for 5 seconds..
I turn it off and on again on the fly and all is well. I also have a stutter from 1750/2250 revs continuously, old engine had this too at the lower end, after a remap it did it more noticeably…
Booked in for injector seals. On the machine no codes noted, have replaced all the electrical fuel valves and thermostat which had failed.
Things to note are that I used to get this with the old engine last winter, that eventually gave out in style so bit concerned for the longevity of the new one!…
Help!
Cheers alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #970486 9th Nov 2022 2:13pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Post #970510 9th Nov 2022 4:08pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
How many miles on the engine?

Jim
Post #970516 9th Nov 2022 5:45pm
alwoodley72

Hi- old engine was 169 k, 2 holed pistons.. current just 50k
Vcv replaced on original, as had idling issues, made no difference..
Think we put the new vcv on the new engine when swapped..
79 911 sc
Post #970522 9th Nov 2022 6:25pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
if the old engine did exactly what the new engine does then this would suggest it is something that has stayed with the car rather than on the engine.

I would look at items that may have been swapped over or items not touched, fuel system? sensors, looms, MAF sensor, ecu, connectors etc

not sure why you would think injector seals unless the crank case is puffing out combustion gasses at 50k they should be fine unless someone has messed with the new engine already DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #970526 9th Nov 2022 6:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
VCV, clutch switch, clean MAP and MAF sensors.

Regards the clutch switch, replace or electrically bridge are your two options..

If MAP & MAF are old replace, but cleaning is worth doing anyway.

As you are getting it during gear change I’d tend to think clutch switch as it cuts power and torque and it can cause power loss on gear change and power surge in gear.
When malfunctioning it can cause a rev hang and power surge also, but also a power loss and very odd engine behaviours.

I ran mine with clutch switch a long time, also with clutch switch bridged for years and now I’m back on a brand new clutch switch I had no problem with running each way.
When the clutch switch is bridged just/ beware to always drive mechanically sympathetic and avoid too much drivetrain shock as this is what the clutch switch is really for I believe to prevent high torque sudden input such as foot slipping off clutch.

Try running Millers diesel additive too, should give the injectors a clean through and turbo.
I use it permanently (the Millers diesel eco max).
Also lube the turbo actuator pivots with some 3in1 oil.

Just a few ideas to try, would be useful to find out if there is any DTC’s logged on the ECU as well. That may well show you a culprit of the issue with the exception of the VCV as that won’t flag a DTC. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #970549 9th Nov 2022 9:21pm
alwoodley72

Thanks for these guys
Doing injector seals for peace of mind
Maf and map were on the new engine, I’ll clean them anyway
Clutch switch sounds promising, it doesn’t do the over rev until I change up to 3rd
Still the hesitation on boost to consider so will check actuator but I think mechanic did that, using original turbo as actuator rod on new engine was bent, shame as it looks like a new turbo…
TBH this has just confirmed my decision to do the bmw m57 swap in the spring, she’s a big old truck and I’d like the auto for long trips.. getting old…!
Cheers
Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
79 911 sc
Post #970558 9th Nov 2022 10:29pm
alwoodley72

How do I bridge the switch on the clutch?..
I’ll try the millers too..
79 911 sc
Post #970559 9th Nov 2022 10:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check the actuator is working as well, this often flags a DTC if there is any issues though.

You’ll need a 2 pole JPT connector and pins and make a closed circuit between the two pins and simply plug into the socket of the clutch switch incoming connector.
You release the connector by pushing in the little meta; bar towards the connector body it’s self.

So you’ll need the connector, two pins, seals and some 1mm2 or 1.5mm2 cable only a small amount.

I can’t remember which gender the connector is, but buy both as you can fit the other on the clutch switch and seal the rear entry to keep connector clean and dry on the clutch switch.
Secure the bridged connector with a zip tie to existing wiring in-coming.

Connector isn’t expensive.

You can replace the clutch switch too, I did mine this year but you can always get it done for you if you prefer it’s a very quick and thus cheap labour job to do.

It’s useful to have the plug in bridge connector though as you can use it right away in case the clutch switch failed as a stop gap.
I ran it bridged for years and that was fine, I only really went back as I fitted a new MC bd clutch switch anyway so made sense.

Somewhere like AES electrical probably does the JPT connectors but are online. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #970564 9th Nov 2022 10:40pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
alwoodley72 wrote:
How do I bridge the switch on the clutch?

If you just want to do a quick and dirty check you can push a paper clip/jumper wire into the connector pins. > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #970596 10th Nov 2022 9:18am
alwoodley72

Thanks for those, I chose the dirty option…!
Seems much better, unfortunately I have quite a lot of hearing loss with periodic chronic loss, and today was one of those days! I think it tried to rev up but did not have a feel of rough running/ diesel knock at the same time, definately didn’t need to switch off/ on, and I’m trying not to convince myself that it is smoother through the revs, I’ll get my tame mechanic to take it out later I hope..!
79 911 sc
Post #970614 10th Nov 2022 12:07pm
alwoodley72

Well, this morning it was exactly as before, revved up and ran rough..trying to think what else it can be, it only does it from cold, and did it on the old engine.. MAF and map are from the new engine, replaced the rubbed intercooler pipe, at a bit of a loss…
Cheers
Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
79 911 sc
Post #970764 11th Nov 2022 3:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’d get it plugged in live diagnostics and see what the experts think, it may save you money in the long term as they may be able to identify the culprit very rapidly rather than the possibility of replacing parts that might not be at fault.
They can then look at the pressure values with the injectors and fuel pump etc and things like that.

Not to mention tell tale DTC’s logged that can give details as to the faulty parts. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #970804 11th Nov 2022 7:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1