↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Mudflats!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NorthernMike

United Kingdom 
Mudflats!
A quick question: want to get mudflaps on my soon to arrive 110…the larger classic style seemed to make sense, but the salesman advised to avoid if I have any intention of driving off road. I’m hoping to do some green-laning, though probably nothing too severe. Thoughts on which mudflaps would be best?
Thanks!
Post #970216 7th Nov 2022 10:26am
NorthernMike

United Kingdom 
Just spotted the autocorrect in the title 😠
Post #970217 7th Nov 2022 10:28am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve had the Classic style on mine since delivery in June 2020, all four are still there despite some serious off-road abuse including backing up over the rear two In a peat bog

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #970235 7th Nov 2022 12:11pm
XplusYplusZ

Hi Mike,

I assume the dealer's guidance is based on concerns that the mudflaps might get torn off / get in the way of digging out if beached when serious offroading??

There are a few guys on here who have a lot more offroad experience than me, but my thoughts as follows:

- The Landrover experience centres and the LR launch in Namibia don't seem to use mudflaps. I guess because they are really taking the cars to the extreme and in such cases the flaps might be a bit of a hindrance. But those guys obviously don't care about the state of the thing on the drive to work the next day - it's likely these guys who train the reps too..

- I have classic mudflaps and they have been really good at keeping the vehicle reasonably presentable in this recent flooding and bad weather. I've very little dirt up the sides of the vehicle which can only be attributed to the mudflaps. I dont wash my cars often so this is very welcome.

- Have a look at what these guys put the classic flaps through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apSaJd4A9DI (23:15) & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifpdj1bgAI (21:09).
I think it's fairly safe to say that unless you absolutely beach the thing or plan on sliding it down a rock face on the bumpers, the classic mud flaps do a pretty good job and definitely take a bit of abuse.

- Be aware that on the x-dynamic models, you get shiny black sills, rather than the textured plastic sills. The mudflaps are not the same colour. It doesn't both me, but something to be aware of.

Click image to enlarge

- Subjective, but I think aesthetically they makes the car a little more aggressive looking, and is also a rose tinted reminiscence of the previous defenders.

- The smaller mudflaps to me look a bit less compliant/flexible, and I'm not so sure how effective they may be at either fending off dirt or taking a knock offroad.

In conclusion, I personally find them useful and I'm pretty sure they would take some moderate to even advanced greenlane usage.
Post #970256 7th Nov 2022 1:42pm
NorthernMike

United Kingdom 
Thanks both, classic mudflaps it is then!
Post #970258 7th Nov 2022 1:54pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Mike, if you have a look at my instagram (https://www.instagram.com/defender_v8/) you can see that the classic mudflaps are fine for green laning Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #970275 7th Nov 2022 3:35pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I managed to partly rip one of mine off reversing over a rock - think rock must have pushed it against the tyre which then pulled it around and off. Bit of a faff bodging it to get it back on. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #970276 7th Nov 2022 3:58pm
J77

Scotland 
Classics, they have a bit of flex in them, and definitely do a good job of keeping the muck down.

It looks dirty, but the amount of muck I went through it’s should’ve been a lot worse

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #970303 7th Nov 2022 6:32pm
haymeister

Japan 
Can vouch for the classic mud flaps.
They really keep the muck down and have quite a bit of flex in them. No issues with 'soft' off-road, green laning, and winter alpine use. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #970353 8th Nov 2022 2:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1