↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Mickey T Baja Boss AT - Not EU Compliant. Toyo OC AT3 is….
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Mickey T Baja Boss AT - Not EU Compliant. Toyo OC AT3 is….
During my continued search for the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss to replace my KO2s, I chose to contact the US HQ. The reply from the tech and sales team is that the Boss AT is NOT EU compliant. They didn’t specify exactly what the problem was, I’m sure some of you may be able to opine, but they’re not coming. Which is a great shame as it seems to be a very highly rated tyre stateside and a worthy replacement for the KO2s which whilst good, are a little long in the tooth.

Moving on, the Toyo Open Country A/T III, which is a recent release and is being widely discussed alongside the Baja Boss and KO2s (in the AT 3-peak LT category) is EU compliant and will be being released in Spring.

Click image to enlarge

I can’t speak for post Brexit UK, but given similar regs there may similar problems importing the Baja Boss, but at least the Open Country should be available for those looking for some more modern AT hoops. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #969807 3rd Nov 2022 8:34am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
At a guess something in the latest tyre regs didn't fit right or they simply decided not to got through the process of getting the tyre labelled?

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN...32020R0740

^^^ is the latest mumbo on tyre labelling and how it's been updated.

My current ST-maxx set is down to half worn which means it's time for a new set, Looking about there isn't much about that tickles my fancy in the aggressive AT 265/75R16 camp. Maybe the Toyo could be as the BFG KO3 seems to be wayy off coming to market Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #969819 3rd Nov 2022 9:56am
Grenadier

Exactly right. I’m looking at a more agressive looking tyre (for example I love both the ST Maxx and the STT Pro) but had the BFGs mounted by Bowler so stuck with them. I was considering the MT Bajas because they are 3 Peak (as are the Toyos) which saves me messing about changing heavy wheels twice a year for maybe 10-20 snowy days. Just easier, and why I cannot truly consider the two Coopers mentioned above. But I also want a more modern tyre and a chunky tyre. It’s very much a ‘have my cake and eat it’ problem.

But my KO2s are almost like racing slicks and I have my CT (MOT) coming up and winter is just weeks away, so I need something. Can’t decide whether I just run another set of BFGs (and wait five years, as an 18” set would be very hard to sell second hand in France even with little usage) or buy some Wolfs and stick some Hakkers on, and then stick the Toyos onto the Bowlers in spring for my three season set. The latter is possibly the better option from a technical point of view, but that would be an outlay of 3000€ in just 4 months. A lot of coin. Decisions decisions….. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #969822 3rd Nov 2022 10:18am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I haven’t been able to decide on tyres either, so I’ve opted for just getting some part worn Conti’s to see me through another 12-18 months and then hopefully there’ll be more choice on the web. I really like the look of those Toyo’s though. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #969827 3rd Nov 2022 10:35am
Devon-Rover

Definitely cake and eat it.

I could go for a 'normal' AT pattern which the cooper AT fits the bill and would do fine. I do though venture off the highway and that's when I need the slightly more aggressive pattern and the ST maxx to me is the goldilocks tyre of cost and performance. But cooper don't do it in 265 and that's the sizing I would like to go too since I changed the rims from wolfs to encores.

As you say Decisions.. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #969830 3rd Nov 2022 10:43am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
My guess would be, Mickey Thompson don't want to pay for the EU approval process, given the small number of tyres they would sell in Europe of any particular size.
Mickey Thompson, Cooper Tire, Dunlop, Avon Tyres and Goodyear are all owned by the same group, so between them they have the market covered for most customers.

The Toyos do look interesting. Thumbs Up

The EU tyre labelling regs above were depressing reading, so far as I got!
All prioritised around emissions and the environment. That one subject that trumps everything these days.
For tyres the number one consideration should be safety, then secondly performance, anything else follows.
Post #969831 3rd Nov 2022 11:06am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Shame you're not closer, as I've got a set of wolf rims you could borrow for the winter. That said, the tyres are probably the bulk of the cost...
Post #969833 3rd Nov 2022 11:32am
kenzle8a

Interesting reading on the Tyre Rack Test with a few others.

TIRE RACK TEST RESULTSMICKEY THOMPSON BAJA BOSS A/T
July 21, 2022

Tires Tested

Falken WildPeak A/T3W (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain, 265/60R18 114T)
What We Liked: Test-leading noise comfort and wet traction.
What We'd Improve: The steering could be more responsive, and the ride is a little firm.
Conclusion: We can see why it's a consumer favorite.

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain, 265/60R18 114T)
What We Liked: The ride is very comfortable.
What We'd Improve: It could use a bump in wet traction and a little less tread noise on the road.
Conclusion: This new addition is worth consideration.

Toyo Open Country A/T III (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain, 265/60R18 110T)
What We Liked: The alert steering feels surprisingly sporty, and the ride is very nice.
What We'd Improve: We would like some additional wet grip.
Conclusion: It's a strong option in dry conditions.

Vehicles Used

2022 Ford Explorer ST
Post #969837 3rd Nov 2022 11:55am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The Euro version of the Toyo looks less aggressive. It will be interesting to see if the LT version is available in the UK and what sizes.

TREAD & SHOULDER DESIGN
Available with three distinct tread and shoulder designs, depending on construction and size. Select sizes also available with outline white lettering (OWL).

Click image to enlarge

https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3/
Post #969838 3rd Nov 2022 12:17pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I know the Cooper Zeon LTZ was banned because of EU noise regulations... honestly such a good tire. I used to hate the BFG's in the wet, the Zeon's only don't behave when im really stamping on them 6 pot's Embarassed

I went from BFG to the Zeon's x

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #969840 3rd Nov 2022 12:33pm
Devon-Rover

DSC-off wrote:
The Euro version of the Toyo looks less aggressive. It will be interesting to see if the LT version is available in the UK and what sizes.

TREAD & SHOULDER DESIGN
Available with three distinct tread and shoulder designs, depending on construction and size. Select sizes also available with outline white lettering (OWL).

Click image to enlarge

https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3/

it's a similar thing with the falken, looking about in the UK you only see the AT3WA where as the AT3W you see in the states is just that bit more chunky around the edges.

To mee even something like the Nitto Ridge grappler would fit the bill nicely. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #969867 3rd Nov 2022 6:02pm
Grenadier

jpboost wrote:
Shame you're not closer, as I've got a set of wolf rims you could borrow for the winter. That said, the tyres are probably the bulk of the cost...

Censored , timings timings. I drove past Gatwick in a mate's almost empty 7t Iveco just two weeks ago on a return to France. Very kind nonetheless. Nokian do an 18” Hakker, so I might just pop those on the Bowlers, then get some Toyos in spring and some 18” rims next November. Spread the cost a little. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #969910 4th Nov 2022 7:31am
Grenadier

Just to confuse me even more, looks like the BFG KO3 is finally on its way. Being released as the stock tyre for some GMC truck in Spring.

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #969912 4th Nov 2022 8:30am
kenzle8a

Were you not tempted to give these a go? I was if they made in the right size in 16'

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/ca...265_65-r18
Post #969917 4th Nov 2022 9:56am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The Pirelli look good but limited sizes in 16in, nothing to suit a Defender. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #969920 4th Nov 2022 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>