↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Defender will there be a P440e do we think ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Allan110XS

United Kingdom 
Defender will there be a P440e do we think ?
I have no idea on chassis compatibility nor packaging requirements but I would love to see a Defender P440e launched. The RRS 440e has a 400 bhp 6cyl petrol and a 38.2 kwh battery coupled to a 34 hp and 50 lb ft electric motor.

The 50 real life miles or so on full electric would easily take care of all my local journeys and on hybrid it should go further befoore exhausting the battery.

The P400e is much loved in the Defender community so if it comes I can only see the 440e being similar.

Do we think one is in the pipeline ?
Post #969726 2nd Nov 2022 10:29am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just specced up a 110 P400e HSE to the same options as the 90 D250 HSE that I have on order and the PHEV price today is £86000 compared to the £72000 the ordered 90 will cost.
I also run a Mini Cooper S E (the fully electric one) which has become my main car instead of the D240 First Edition 110 I have now that spends a lot of time on my drive. I’m lucky that where I live I have free public fast charging for EVs and PHEVs so my year old Mini has cost £24.50 in paid for charging on my home charger in the last 12 months ( I try to use public charging as it’s free though!) and has covered 6800 miles. Charging isn’t the hassle the anti EV brigade makes out - go shopping and plug the car in while you are away from it and you rarely charge from 40-90% let alone the 10-80% unless you are road tripping and I use the Defender for that as Mini EV range is on average 110 miles in winter more in summer)
For the price difference of the Defender p400e over the D250 you could buy yourself a used Hyundai E Kona or eSoul, a late plate Renault Zoe (although the Euro NCAP rating is dire for them) that will have far greater range than any PHEV, have no VED to pay and lower running costs with minimal servicing needed for EVs.
The Mini BEV is a flawed but brilliant EV - the flaw is the small 28.9 usable kWhr battery but that means less time on chargers (but you need to top up more often )but scary fast acceleration and brilliant handling. It also is extremely efficient with its fuel. I have averaged 4.5 miles per kwhr over a year, that is a petrol equivalent to approx 170mpg, there are very few EVs that can match that, I believe only the Tesla M3 or MY get better efficiency but they also have 2.5 times the size of battery) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #969729 2nd Nov 2022 10:58am
Zeplin000

Maybe my maths is flawed but when I worked it out the cost to charge a p400e defender is 35p per kWh * 19.5 kWh battery size = £6.80 app for my current electricity tarrif. If it does 27 miles maximum in electric mode that’s 25p per mile. After it uses its battery it’s less efficient that a diesel.

A D250 will do 27p per mile assuming £1.90 per litre of diesel and 30mpg.

What am I missing?
Post #969732 2nd Nov 2022 11:56am
Zeplin000

Sorry that was a bit off topic - was just wanting to establish if a phev actually makes sense compared to diesel now. A bigger battery in the defender would be good but not sure how it would save much at current diesel/electricity prices unless you can charge cheaply as Tim says.
Post #969733 2nd Nov 2022 11:58am
Ritson

France 
Zeplin000 wrote:
Maybe my maths is flawed but when I worked it out the cost to charge a p400e defender is 35p per kWh * 19.5 kWh battery size = £6.80 app for my current electricity tarrif. If it does 27 miles maximum in electric mode that’s 25p per mile. After it uses its battery it’s less efficient that a diesel.

What am I missing?

The fact that a combustion engine is constantly running and consuming fuel even when power to drivetrain is not required (ie coasting / braking / going downhill) whereas an electric engine is not.

Provided you get your head around the change of driving style required you can greatly increase the effective range on battery only. For example, coming off the power and coasting up to a junction using the regenerative braking to slow the vehicle instead of waiting until you have to apply brakes to slow down. Remember, every metre you coast is costing zero fuel, indeed its actually putting fuel back into the car.

I have a regular journey which is just over 70km round trip. I can do this entirely on electric if I pay attention to driving style.

It also comes into its own if you do a lot of driving in slow moving traffic, which guzzles fuel but does not seem to impact battery range too much when in electric mode. I also find the constant start/stop of an ICE a real pain in heavy traffic, obviously this isn't the case when running on electric. Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #969735 2nd Nov 2022 12:59pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Zeplin000 wrote:

What am I missing?

Price. I pay 7.5p kWh. Also other vehicles are a little better on miles / kWh than the Defender. Hence if I had the Defender (I don't I have the BMW), I wouldn't bother fast charging / paying whilst out and about.
Post #969747 2nd Nov 2022 5:41pm
DAP2022

United Kingdom 
i wish you could get a 350e - electric hybrid and the 250 3 litre diesel engine - tootle around with electric then when battery runs out 30mpg + diesel with 100 extra electric horses for occasional quick acceleration.

proper energy regeneration (rather than MEHV) with the diesel would be great. I think mercedes do a hybrid diesel car ,
Post #969748 2nd Nov 2022 5:42pm
G&T

United Kingdom 
That would be my wish. 30mpg out of the diesel for long runs and my local journeys are never more than 25 miles so a battery for just that would be perfect.
Post #978656 18th Jan 2023 1:10pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I can get 38mpg out of the 3.0L petrol BMW on a flat battery...... if I went real eco, maybe into the 40s.

Even legging it back out of London and blasting back down the M3 resulted in 32mpg on a totally flat battery, and I wasn't hanging around Whistle
Post #978661 18th Jan 2023 1:18pm
G&T

United Kingdom 
PJM, that is an impressive MPG figure Thumbs Up I drive smoothly but would prefer a Defender.
Post #978823 19th Jan 2023 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1