↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Unusual wiper fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
When I did mine, I found I had so much stuff out that by that stage it paid to just take the dash out anyway for ease of access but was in the summer so unless you have a under cover parking area or big garage could be a problem. (I had to replace a lot of it through, but the wheel boxes you could flit without taking the dash out easy enough).
Also before undertaking the job if you do go the full dash out route, I’d recommend you have the torque setting for the steering wheel and ensure you can take it off without too much trouble.
(Tiny bit of copper slip on splines is good for future removal).
Also a wiper arm puller tool such as a Sealey one, saves a lot of effort and faffing about and risking damaging anything else they aren’t expensive.

Does anyone know what the labour rate approx would be to have the job done? I’d have thought significant due to the time required. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #972282 24th Nov 2022 9:54pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Many thanks for your guidance team !
just have to buy the bits and puller then give it a go!
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #972350 25th Nov 2022 1:12pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
An update on my original scenario, when I speculated that it might be heat-related: it isn't!

It did it again one morning this week as soon as I started the vehicle, which was stone cold. On this occasion as before, only the faster wipe speed was affected, and after running the wipers on speed one for a minute or two, speed two worked normally.

I now have a complete set of spares in stock (switch, motor, wheel-boxes too) so it can stop happening. Laughing

With this random wiper behaviour and my random failure to crank (see other thread) I think I am being visited by Lucas, Prince of Darkness. I don't think the two are connected.
Post #972351 25th Nov 2022 1:20pm
Bish

2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I come across this is issue regularly.

Very simple to replace the motor without fully removing the dash.

It is something to do with the high speed brushes or switch wearing out. I simply replace the motor and can now do this job in about an hour.
Post #972625 27th Nov 2022 7:44pm
blackwolf

An update in case anyone is interested. The problem as I suspected is the advanced wear on the high speed brush. As can be seen in the photo below, the HS brush (the one in the two-o'clock position) is worn almost to nothing. It is half the width of the other two to begin with and the amount of wear means that it is no longer reliably contacting the motor commutator.

Now to see if I can find a replacement brush set since there is nothing else wrong with the motor. Unsurprisingly LR says bin the motor and fit a new one, which is really quite unacceptable now that we are no longer supposed to be raping the planet of natural resources.

Click image to enlarge
Post #976284 1st Jan 2023 5:04pm
blackwolf

For info if anyone has a similar malfunction, a replacement brush plate assembly is part number DLZ000010 and costs around £35-£40*.

* Which is an absurd price but cheaper than around half the price of a new wiper motor of reputable origins.
Post #976291 1st Jan 2023 6:16pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If measured I wonder if you can get similar carbon brushes, or just the carbon ends and change them out, are carbon ends held in by more than just the copper tabs clamping them blackwolf?
Post #976304 1st Jan 2023 8:33pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I wonder if you can take the brushes from an earlier unit, RTC198 that comes at about 50% of the price of a later brush unit. If it is worth your time and the risk, I do not know. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #976306 1st Jan 2023 8:50pm
blackwolf

I shall investigate the feasibility of replacing just the brushes, since this would be a much more satisfactory approach.
Post #976308 1st Jan 2023 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12