↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > From white TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired poptop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Very nice - one for the list! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #974499 13th Dec 2022 9:21am
andy2111

About 6 months later I was having a few issues with the replica Puma dash. It wasnt supporting the weight of the double DIN nav unit very well, and the top edge had warped for some reason.

I also waned to add some soundproofing to the front bulkhead so decided to take the plunge and retrofit a genuine Puma dash, albeit still with the custom centre panel

I also wanted to tidy up the centre panel - in the previous pics you can see it has a stick-on carbon fibre effect, but I'd seen something on Wheeler Dealers about hydro-dipping and found a place that could coat the centre panel, instrument bezels and guage bezels with a really high quality carbon fibre effect.

So, out with the old...

Click image to enlarge

And in with the new..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Really pleased with how it turned out!

That said, even though I'd spent £££ on having the centre panel prettied up, I soon started to think about how I could fit a geniune centre console and adapt it to use the non-standard AC and heater controls... TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop

Last edited by andy2111 on 26th Dec 2022 5:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #975057 18th Dec 2022 2:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i am really temped into changing my TD5 into the puma setup, once its paid off. I did toy with the idea back in when i owned the 300 TDi to upgrade that to the 5 setup and pass the setup over to my dad.
I bet the dash part was practically plug and play, with you having the kit from the replica. I dont use the vent flaps on mine at all, used them once on the 300 TDI, So id be happy to get shot of them. The clock mod i showed you though would be a nice touch to this Whistle Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #975321 21st Dec 2022 3:30am
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
andy2111 wrote:
That said, even though I'd spent £££ on having the centre panel prettied up, I soon started to think about how I could fit a geniune centre console and adapt it to use the non-standard AC and heater controls...

This popped up on Insta, possible option for heater controls with genuine(ish) centre console?

Click image to enlarge
Post #975707 25th Dec 2022 1:00pm
andy2111

Yes I saw that, its not bad... but I'd like to think my latest version is even better Cool as I used perspex instead of leather so it almost hides the fact there's an overlaid panel. Will up load those pics v.soon Thumbs Up TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Last edited by andy2111 on 30th Dec 2022 1:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #975750 26th Dec 2022 12:38pm
andy2111

I'm not confident enought to do much of the upgrade work on the truck, but I like to have a go where I can, so my next job was to replace the drive flanges as I had the familiar 'clunk' when pullng away in 1st gear.

I bought loads of kit I didnt have including axle stands, wheel chocks, torque wrench, grease etc etc and, having watched a few videos on YouTube, i took off the first wheel to find this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

My biggest concern was not being able to fit the new HD drive flanges that I bought from Ashcroft and then being stuck with the truck on axle stands... but it all worked well in the end. I know it's only a small job, but really satisfying to have done it myself.

Click image to enlarge
 TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Post #975755 26th Dec 2022 2:02pm
andy2111

My next job was to replace the seats and I went for some really nice heated leather seats from Exmoor trim. This was strightforward enough because I didn't try to connect the seat heaters at this time

Click image to enlarge

Not the best picture, but the seats are really confortable with adjustable lumbar support and 2-stage heaters and fitted to raised seat rails so I have much more leg room.

Click image to enlarge
 TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Post #975756 26th Dec 2022 2:20pm
andy2111

I'd collected various bits of old dashboard and had my old seats, so I decided to put them on eBay

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was amazed that the seats (good quality heated originals) went for £900 and I got over £300 for all the other bits - It almost paid for the new seats! Very Happy TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Post #975757 26th Dec 2022 2:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Censored i wished i seen the TD5 dash surround, that goes around the centre console, ( yours is better nick than mine! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #975838 28th Dec 2022 1:06am
andy2111

I just realised that I didnt mention the engine, gearing and tuning that was done not long after the main rebuild, so by way of a quick catch-up...

I wanted to get a bit more power out of the TD5 engine, without going silly and either having plumes of smoke follow me about, or risk it blowing up somewhere inconvenient, so I decided to take it to the very fine chaps at Alive.

I booked myself in for what became a much more expensive trip than I had anticipated. My turbo was shot and I needed 5 new injectors. To be fair, I had been experiencing a loss of power and the guys at Alive showed me why when they took the old turbo off - shame I dont have any pics!

I was going for a stage 2 tune, so I also had a new intercooler and hoses fitted and the truck already had an EGR delete kit. It was clear that the head had been off at some point and because the guys (and me) didn't know the full history of the truck, we agreed not to push it too hard and aim for around 170BHP.

It went on the dyno and after several runs we got it tuned as agreed and off I went home. The transformation was instant with much more power and torque making it feel like a competely different truck.

The extra power highlighted the next problem which was the standard gearing. I'm planning lots of long distance touring holidays and I want the truck to be more comfortable at motorway speeds, so I went to Ashcroft Transmissions and had them fit a recon transfer box with the 1.2 ratios which gives 15% higher gearing in all gears (but doesn't change low range at all).

The combination of more power and taller gearing was transformational and the truck can easily cruise now for hours at decent speeds, overtake ofther vehicles in 5th gear and is less noisy due to the reduced revs. TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Last edited by andy2111 on 30th Dec 2022 4:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #976067 30th Dec 2022 1:49pm
andy2111

March 2021 and my clutch starts slipping a bit, not surprising as it has a Stage 2 tune and a standard clutch of unknown age. I had the clutch replaced with the LOF PowerSpec clutch including solid mass flywheel which will easily cope with the increased power. I had the PowerMaster uprated master cylinder fitted too to lighten the pedal weight.

The fitting made it on to Instagram courtesy of Sam and the crew at Juice Motors!

Click image to enlarge

I know this is a good bit of kit and that I need it to cope with my tuned engine, but it is noisier than the standard clutch, especially as you approach 2,000RPM where it drums like an old washing machine.

I’m a bit frustrated that the truck is now noticeably noisier than before because of the clutch/SMF, reversing a lot of my recent gains in soundproofing. If I'd known this might be an issue before we started I probably would have gone for the LOF heavy duty DMF kit instead of the SMF, but you live and learn. TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Post #976069 30th Dec 2022 2:01pm
andy2111

So now we’re in July 2021 and I have a bit of an oil leak coming somewhere from the engine, too much to ignore, and so began what turned out to be a very expensive series of investigations and new parts including; new rear crank seal, new viscous fan (the old one had a seized clutch and was oily inside), and a new 120A alternator and oil drain pipe.

I must have had several leaks because all these things needed doing, but it was still leaking excessively, but now more easily traceable to the front lower timing case.

So this required another trip to the garage to remove and reseal the lower timing case cover and whilst there remove and check the cylinder head for wear, inspect the timing chains and then clean everything up, reseal everything and give the engine a lick of pain to reflect all the hard work and investment.

Once again we featured on the Juice Motors Insta feed..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was a big job, but good to get it done and to know that the engine is now in great condition for the years and miles ahead, and to remove the uncertainty of what you might find with the head removed. The newly painted engine looks great too! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Post #976071 30th Dec 2022 2:16pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
my dads watched juiced on youtube, and they do some great motors!
Also i have a Ashcroft transfer box too, identical to you, mine was also tuned a little just, might be a stage one. Just to help it cruse better, mine makes a purring noise when you gear down, Laughing it can be a little boggy compared to the 300 but a few extra RPM and sorts that out. Thumbs Up have a look at BeaTie thread, and you will see the sellers spec Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #976126 31st Dec 2022 3:12am
andy2111

I just looked at your build thread Procta - great job!! Looks like you have also gone on quite a journey with your truck! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Post #976149 31st Dec 2022 12:00pm
andy2111

It’s now January 2022 and I’ve been thinking a lot about how to replace the custom centre panel with a good quality double DIN unit that will give the truck a genuine factory finish (accepting that LR never made double DIN units themselves!).

As a reminder, this is the custom panel I started with..

Click image to enlarge

It’s all perfectly functional with Carling Contura V switches and aftermarket AC & fan controls and gauges installed where the Puma vents would normally go. The issue is the panel is not strong enough to carry the weight of the nav unit, so it bounces around and rattles… plus I really like the challenge of trying to find a more Puma-like solution!

I bought a new double DIN centre console from MUD because a) it is quality kit and b) it has a bracket with it to help secure the nav unit.

I then bought a load of genuine Puma switches as lots of the Conturas need to be swapped for genuine to fit the centre console. My auto electrician didn’t thank me for this because he had already built a custom loom to fit the Conturas and it would all need adapting to fit the LR switches!

I also had to figure out what to do with the extra switches and gauges I already had. Problem solved with this Italian beauty from Equipe4x4.. it takes my turbo and oil pressure gauges, and the 3 switch bays are perfect for everything on the rear e.g. heated rear window, wash-wipe and fog lights.

It took me ages to find a clock that fitted… at the time there were no LR clocks on eBay, but some help on the forums lead me to a Jaguar branded clock that was a perfect fit.

Click image to enlarge

So now I had solutions for all the standard switches and equipment, but the remaining challenge was how to deal with the heater and AC controls. I wanted more modern looking controls because the current ones look a bit basic, and after a lot of searching I found this lovely bit of kit from T7 Design that provided the exact functionality I needed

I’d had a plan in mind for a few months to cut out the section of the centre console where the LR heater controls go and to replace it with a gloss black acrylic panel which would take the AC controls and the Exmoor heated seat switches. I experimented with several prototypes before settling on the final design.

Click image to enlarge

Here’s the spec I made for the final full-width panel in case anyone else ever decides to try this themselves!

Click image to enlarge

And here it is during fitting, along with a LR badge mounted on more Perspex to cover some of the bottom switch holes that I did not need.

I’m really pleased with how this all looks – it’s as close to genuine as I can get, given that I have a bespoke HVAC unit that cannot be adapted to the Puma controls. When fitted to the truck you have to look very hard to see the overlaid acrylic panel.

It's now May 2022 and time to install the new panel into the truck - with thanks again to Shaun at Response Diagnostics for his custom wiring loom and elegant relocation of some of the fuses.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And here it all is when fully fitted… this isn’t the best photo and I’ve since sorted out the gap between the Equipe4x4 switch enclosure and the top vents, but I still think it looks pretty good and is about as close to ‘genuine Puma’ as I’m going to get!

Click image to enlarge

What I'm most pleased about is that I designed and made the centre panel myself. Most of my rebuild has been done by other people, so it's good to be able to make a contribution, especially one that makes such a big difference to the quality and authenticity of the interior. TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

Post #976153 31st Dec 2022 12:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>